Author Topic: Al Lowe Leaves Replay Games  (Read 17031 times)

Brainiac

• Lackey
  • Liked: 58
  • Game Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Al Lowe Leaves Replay Games
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 08:28:13 PM »
Well, Al is still slated to appear at Magfest just after New Years (the tweet saying he wasn't coming was corrected on Facebook)...as am I.

Anything anyone wants me to ask him if I get a chance?
There is balance in all things. Live in symmetry with the world around you. If you must blow things up and steal from those around you, THAT'S WHAT RPGS ARE FOR!

Official Member of the VGL Street Team

Blake00

• Lackey
  • Liked: 35
    • https://www.youtube.com/c/BlakesSanctum
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »
I guess whether he'd be interested to coming back out of retirement again if it was with the RIGHT people?

Tell him that he's got a lot of fans that feel for his situation & hope the license gets pulled from Paul.

Blake's Sanctum - Quest For Glory Series:
fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »
I'd like to know if there's any future for Torin's Passage, if he can find better people to work with - I can't imagine that license would be as hard to get as LSL was.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 08:31:34 PM »
Activision seem to hold onto their licences a lot tighter than others. LSL is owned by Codemasters who've had it since VU owned the rights.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Brainiac

• Lackey
  • Liked: 58
  • Game Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 04:48:12 PM »
I'd like to know if there's any future for Torin's Passage, if he can find better people to work with - I can't imagine that license would be as hard to get as LSL was.

Al did share a bit about the creation and planning of Torin's Passage - a game designed that parents and children could play together as he had with his son but missed the timing with his daughter. He had a rough concept of five games that would cover Torin's coming-of-age to his eventual death - it would have basically been the story of his life and would take a lot from Disney in terms of aesthetics and emotional resonance (Boogle, for example was specifically crafted as is typical for a Disney sidekick to show the viewers how they should be reacting - Boogle worried about Torin means the kids should be as well). It was basically intended to serve as the "off-year" release - those games would come out when there wasn't a King's Quest game put out onto shelves.

However, Al isn't looking to get rights. He never tried to get rights for Larry, after all - that was all Paul Trowe, and no matter what else has gone on (which Al chose to avoid bringing up for obvious reasons), Paul was a month-long non-stop workhorse to get that Kickstarter to work. Without him, LSL Reloaded would not exist, so he deserves the credit for that if nothing else (and as far as writing goes, pretty much all the new humorous dialogue and click options are Josh Mandel's work). Al said this is basically the third time he's gone back into retirement and he kinda hopes it sticks this time.

There's more on his website if you're interested. And speaking of his website, of particular note is that a Leisure Suit Larry collection that even HE didn't know existed was brought before him for an autograph at MAGFest. Al asked to take pictures and he'll be updating his LSL Collections page on the site with this "new" edition when he gets a chance.
There is balance in all things. Live in symmetry with the world around you. If you must blow things up and steal from those around you, THAT'S WHAT RPGS ARE FOR!

Official Member of the VGL Street Team

rogerxy

• Lackey
  • Liked: 2
  • Serious Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »
Not much to say about this... Extremely sad of what could have been. An awesome opportunity wasted and now we have a situation where everyone looses.

I still have a small hope that Al and/or Josh will make more games. Larry or not is unimportant.
You can have anything you want if you will give up the belief that you can't have it.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 09:44:10 PM »
To be completely honest, I don't care that Al Lowe is going back into retirement.  I think Josh Mandel has far more to offer the current adventure game community--his decision to leave the online community for the foreseeable future is the far greater tragedy.  Josh Mandel was the real heart and soul of the Larry remake, not Al Lowe.  Not to mention all of the great pro bono work Josh has done for the remake community.  Luckily, Josh is also probably a lot more likely to return, once a decent bit of time has passed since Trowe-Gate.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 10:05:43 PM »
I actually agree with Lamb. Most of the new jokes was thanks to Josh and Al deserves his retirement.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 11:21:03 PM »
Josh is back on twitter now, btw, though he never really tweeted much to begin with :)
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

asianmusicguy

• Villain
  • Liked: 16
    • View Profile
    • Crystal Utada
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2014, 02:41:20 PM »
Trowe-Gate that is a awesome name for it  and I agree completely
If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.  ~Michael Jackson