Author Topic: "Implicit" game design  (Read 3297 times)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
"Implicit" game design
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:57:26 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SOg990vAyk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SOg990vAyk</a>

Here's a neat video discussing what we might call the counter-trend to the current trend of "casualized game design."  This video references Dark Souls (the last mainstream game to really REALLY suck me in and not let go, and one of my favorites of this entire console generation) along with a few others, but I think that the ideas he brings up can be applied to adventure game design as well.  The idea of dropping a player into the game world and letting them simply explore and uncover things as they go is one of my favorite parts of traditional adventure games (I fucking hate that I have to use the qualifier "traditional" now--THANKS, TELLTALE.)  I know that it's something we've had in the back of our minds with QFI, too.  Rewarding players for exploring and trying new things, etc.  Anyway, I thought it was a cool video with some good ideas.  Thoughts?
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 329
  • You can't do that; at least not now.
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
Re: "Implicit" game design
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:07:43 PM »
He nailed it. That's why I hate most modern games. I freaking loved Machinarium and Botanicula cos it just drops you in a world and says 'ok figure it out' ...the pleasure of finding things out, as Feynman said.

QFI is pretty much that, it's all about learning the environment, and the freedom of being able to explore the whole map before you even talk to anyone just makes it feel that much more special.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a Narrator, and I ride and I ride.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: "Implicit" game design
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:50:51 PM »
Yes - I think discovering a game on your own used to be half the fun of it.  God, heh, most ATARI 2600 games had a vague manual, and that was it!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."