Author Topic: Designing Quest For Infamy  (Read 17046 times)

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
Re: Designing Quest For Infamy
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 03:04:19 AM »
The unique RPG-like branching character class paths give you a pretty fantastic opportunity to categorize puzzles into "bins" appropriate for both the class type and player style.

For example, arcade sequences neatly fit the Brigand's style.  Dialogue puzzles would be Rogueish, as they'd be a form of confidence artistry.  Riddle/mathematics puzzles and minigames dovetail well into the sorcery of the Mage's path.

I enjoy all of the above (arcade probably the least).  Inventory puzzles are a staple and should be part of all of the above.  Especially satisfying (and howlingly frustrating), as mentioned by others, are the very long-running collection quests in which random shit A and random shit Z finally come together at a very late stage to combine into a grand plot advancement.  Hence, I would say that a McGuffin style item puzzle is best for one of those, since reserving such a combining for practical item could be a bit punishing for a player who has forgotten to pick up a piece very early on, and loses the opportunity to do so.  Nothing restoring and replaying dozens of tedious sequences, which while difficult and rewarding the first time, become a chore in successive runs.  However, if you are constructing the Fine McGuffin of Power out of the mystical Three Pieces, you're unlikely to try to advance without first finding all three.

I, so far, found the structure of the inventory puzzles in the demo (that I've seen! I've not played through all paths completely yet).  If that's the flavor and tenor you're going for, then by increasing the scope and magnitude of the overall finished product sevenfold, I'm certainly pleased to have put myself in the dungeon :D
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 03:14:04 AM »
Conquests of Camelot was one of my favorite Sierra games... despite it's flaws, it made a lasting impression on me.  Actually, I enjoyed it a good bit more than certain KQs.  The riddles were a large part of that;  challenging and rewarding to solve.  Once completed, each riddle made me feel as if I'd unlocked a little bit of additional understanding of the world and mythology Christy Marx had built for me.  Now, she and Peter had an enormous quantity of real information to tap into, and they certainly did so.  Bt has the enviable position of inventing an entire world history of the realm (or, as much as is needed for the game, with various threads sticking out hear and there, to be added on to if time/budget/success permits).  He'll need to come up with that depth of history and try to make it as real/plausible as it possibly can be for a medieval high-fantasy setting, which to me sounds simultaneously awesome and daunting.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 04:24:19 AM »
I agree that Conquest of Camelot was a fantastic game back in the day!  The puzzles, riddles, and copy protection via the book were well thought out.  It was a tough game imo.  I never got much satisfaction from that final fight with the saracen as i was weak from poison.  Back on track, So far the puzzles have been pretty good. The comedy writing in particular strikes my sense of humor.  As i understand it the games story is mostly complete i may be wrong about this.  Puzzle wise as long as there isnt some tedious friggin maze or path to trek thru i will be happy.(like the cliffs in KQ3 from the house.) A time based quest would have merit and be challenging.(there  is already one in the demo) Also well thought out logic puzzles is a staple in old school adventure games. Just don't have pixel or click hunts as i like to call them.
**********Chadly*********************