Author Topic: Quest for Glory related fan projects  (Read 41411 times)

Blake00

• Lackey
  • Liked: 35
    • https://www.youtube.com/c/BlakesSanctum
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
Re: Quest for Glory fan projects
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2014, 08:33:24 AM »

Yeah I'm not sure why that weird old issue has come back to life lol. Nor am I sure how RPG vs adventure has anything to with inclusion and exclusion. It could a bloody flight sim for all I care, if you're flying over Speilburg & people are shooting arrows up at you then congrats you've made my list lol.

I put games of any type in the list that are related to or significantly influenced/inspired by QFG. That can apply to graphics and/or gameplay. Hero-U most definitely fits that definition. It just happened to be the Coles themselves that were inspired to make a game this time, instead of fans haha. Hell just play the Hero-U demo and it feels and looks like a scene straight out of QFG1 thief mode. I suspect we will lose count of the amount of 'hat tipping' and tributes to QFG stories, graphics, and locations in the final product despite the game being set in a different universe/world. And most importantly there are still too many QFG fans out there who don't even know the Coles are making a new game, I intend to help fix that!

Blake's Sanctum - Quest For Glory Series:
fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 08:57:57 AM »
Not disrespecting the game, I honestly don't think it's going to be anything like QFG (and I don't think the demo feels like a QFG game either - the "Sierra" humour is there but that's about it) and Corey was quite clear at the start of the KS that it wasn't an adventure game. It's a dungeon crawler / RPG from what I can tell, and that in itself should be fun, but I think QFG is defined by being an adventure/RPG. Does that matter for your website? HELL NO!
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2014, 09:19:54 AM »
Yea after a bit of research again it seems to be half arsed what corey said it would be

ultima with qfg attitude he once said early on

but please try not to bash everything I post people, someone else says the same thing and well it seems to go over.
Do I now get the "forever at the bottom of the totem pole" title from nameless ? :)

love ya all
you are my familia !

* Kaldire blows kisses

truly, not much is going to match QFI
that much is true hehe
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

DosboxLetsPlay

• Villain
  • Liked: 72
  • Hero of Gloriana
    • DosboxLetsPlay
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/dosboxletsplay
    • View Profile
  • Favorite Game: Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »
@Kaldire
Don't worry mate, we all have our own view on the matter that can be different from other views.

(maybe not here but) As I've said it before, you can't compare QFI and Hero-U to the original QFG. QFI wins this fight without a doubt, but that's because Hero-U isn't completed yet. We can do the whole "which one is more like QFG" topic later when Hero-U comes out too. What can be said though is, that Infamous Quests had its' vision planned and they knew what they wanted to do AND knew that the fans would also love it. As for Hero-U (and this is my own opinion), I get the feeling that they weren't quite sure what they wanted to do. If you know what they originally planned with Hero-U, you'd know that it's completely different from what it is right now and what the fans were hoping for back then. That caused a sort of a "development-hell" in the very early stages of the game creation. They had to change their planned vision and recreate the whole thing. I won't go into more in-depth details because you can read more about the various changes made from the start of Kickstarter to now from Hero-U.net yourself.

And yes, as Klytos said it and as the Coles themselves said it, Hero-U will be more of an RPG than an adventure game compared to QFG that was the opposite. I think if anyone was expecting a classic QFG from Hero-U, they were stuck in an Erana's dream (the good ones at the start before they got bad).

There, I think this should take some of that "bashing" off of you Kaldire. :P

"Ha ha! Little graveyard humor there!"

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2014, 08:55:26 PM »
Who's bashing? I enjoy arguing all things Sierra. Especially when I'm right and everyone else's view is wrong.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 01:27:22 AM »
hehe

thanks for that giggle. You always could make me laugh(in a good way!)
 cheers hehe

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »
Hell folks, what i wanted was another Hero's Quest type game!  However due to I.P. rights and all that, we will get a rpg instead of an adventure game.  That's been made quite clear by the Coles' themselves.  So i am humble in the waiting, for their new game.  :)
**********Chadly*********************

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2014, 10:57:12 PM »
sigh
again, as even BT said, QFG IS an rpg

I think what you mean is pure RPG hack n slash

and as corey told me it was going to be sorta like a mix of QFG and ultima
but it seems to be a mix of just diablow n bs craaaaaaaap

but pleeeeeease stop saying RPG.. again most adventure games ARE RPGS most..
anything with stats.. and technically anything you play a role in qualifies as RPG

so even plat-formers where u are a lego superman you are role playing superman..
sigh

but yea... im no longer waiting for this release after seeing it will be just like a diablow and ive never ever liked those kind of games. ever.. just mindless stuff.. as klytos said how are you going to add humor?
almost mission impossible

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 11:11:13 PM »
QFG is a hybrid. It's not JUST an RPG, it's an RPG / Adventure. It's that distinction that BT made.

The reason adventure games like King's Quest, Monkey Island or Space Quest aren't RPG's is that the protagonist isn't you, it's Graham, Guybrush or Roger and you direct them. A game like QFG makes you the character instead of you just controlling the character.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 11:18:02 PM »
not disagreing with you at all
just saying not to leave out PURE rpg, vs just RPG
oh and very GOOD point about creation of the character!
still its not the only thing that defines RPG. as some rpgs IE, planescape torment, pre makes the char for you. And you have no choice in the class but its still one of the most fun and funny rpgs of its era :)
same with anachronox its an rpg, but you dont create your char, or arx fatalis perfect example of pure rpg
or how about vampire? its pure also!

saying a game is an rpg could be anygame you play a role

is bioshock an rpg or fps?
etc

its both

point is its mainly FPS with RPG elements
as QFG is Advent with RPG elements

hero-u seems to just be PURE RPG as we used to call it back in da day..
no hybrid just like you said hack n slash.
to me even diablow isnt RPG, its dungeon crawler aka platfromer with rpg elements

:)

I only use the BT quote to point out he said QFG is RPG status,  hybrid/mix or not  still is rpg
[url=https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63833-actionadventure-or-rpg-whats-the-difference/]https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63833-actionadventure-or-rpg-whats-the-difference/
[/url]
someone in the above forum even says he defines PURE RPG .. in this way or that..
I adore the PURE RPGS but they are rare these days.

Totally agree QFG is ADVENT FIRST, and RPG 2nd.
and sorry I dont need to play hero-u to know QFI is going to smear it across the planet hehe
but then again that comparing apples to oranges at this point.

Corey did message me after I sent him a mail, about the Ultima type game, which was one of the true rpgs of the era of yore
ahh ultima 7  and 6  (cheat code for that was awesome SPAM SPAM SPAM) to iago :)
I still know how to read gargish btw.. useless skill but funny XD

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 07:00:05 AM »
Quest For Infamy is a "Role Playing Adventure Game".  I've written this specific title many times.  I also find that people get pedantic about classification and sub-genres, which can get annoying, but it's just how some people get on.

In the end, it IS a game and it's sub-classification is going to be up to who ever plays it.  However, if you're expecting a QFG-like game, it won't be that.

Bt

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 11:40:56 AM »
yep yep

Hence the term PURE RPG
vs advent rpg  or hybrid etc

i can name so many rpgs that dont have character creation etc but are die hard rpgs
also vice versa

anyway seems again hero-u will be a diablow ish style  ick

glad I backed the right game here!
muhahaha

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2014, 11:57:26 AM »
Even "PURE RPG" is a subjective term.  There's very few standards as to what constitutes a role-playing game.

Bt

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »
I think almost everything is subjective :P
but ya know what I mean

you dont have to make a character for it to be an RPG,

again case and point is Vampire, Planescape, etc

but I totally agree, with you but not so much with klytos saying that one has to create a character for a game to be an RPG.

look at lands of lore, etc

almost everything is relative and subjective this much is totttally true

Blake00

• Lackey
  • Liked: 35
    • https://www.youtube.com/c/BlakesSanctum
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2017, 04:42:26 AM »
Happy new year guys! :) It's been a while but I've been working on my site and have made the following additions to the QFG related games list.

New QFG related projects added:
Quest For Glory IV 3D – Massive new section! My total conversion mod for ZDoom Hexen taking you on a 3D action packed adventure in Mordavia.
QFG6: Hero’s Legend – Full tribute page created! Creator of QFG2.5D is working on a 3D QFG sequel based in Silmaria & Tarna.
Quest for Glory I Extended Edition – Full tribute page created! QFG1 remake with many new areas (eg open mountain pass like in QFG4.5).

Changes made to existing QFG content:
General – Contents menu added.
General – All back buttons changed to utilise HTML bookmarks. Now users don’t have to re-scroll down the entire page constantly! :)
General – Fixed some missing slashes in code.
Heroism: The Art of DeFence – New HD screenshots and GREATLY enhanced demo now available.
Quest for 3D – New awesome screenshots of his amazing realistic recreation of Spielburg.
Destiny: The Lost Soul – FINALLY the long lost demo has been found & made available by the Hero6 team!
Quest for Infamy (classic) – Finally found the original Brigand theme song I used to use (forgot it was also hero selection track), now the original 2010 tribute page is finally truly restored.

As always, let me know if something is missing. :)

Blake's Sanctum - Quest For Glory Series:
fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!