Author Topic: Other Kickstarter Projects  (Read 61031 times)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Other Kickstarter Projects
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
Heh...I was wondering about that, myself.  Figured I'd leave it up to one of you Big Cheeses, though. ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2013, 11:00:53 PM »
I totally understand...sorry for being one of the "deviants" to put pirated software links out there.  I guess I (ignorantly) assumed that because I paid money to buy these games, that it was going to the original game creators or companies.  Or maybe I just wanted to believe that.  Definitely my bad, should have been paying more attention.

:-[

Quest For Glory Fan

• Super Fan and Wonder Boy
  • Lackey
  • Liked: 23
  • Super Fan and Wonder Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2013, 12:26:50 AM »
I thought it was true in the US that if you owned them you could download them as part of "backup" and that's how they were allowed in the first place. I know that's the rule in Canada at least, but we also allow drinking at 19. In anycase it's not particularly hard to find what you're looking for. Sorry to IQ for not using enough tact.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »
I thought it was true in the US that if you owned them you could download them as part of "backup" and that's how they were allowed in the first place.

* Please note I am not offering legal advise in any capacity; I am simply theorizing based on my very limited knowledge and understanding about a very complex subject.

Due to the frail nature of the magnetic media, you could make your OWN back-up copy back in the diskette days, but I'm not sure about downloading from a third-party.  The whole point about the back-up was you didn't install it on someone else's computer or in turn give/"sell on the cheap" the back-up to someone else so they avoided buying a copy.  I don't believe someone could distribute or transfer "their" copy to you, which is what piracy amounts to...

I would imagine it's contingent on the fact you can prove you have the original media / documentation in your physical possession, like an original CD-ROM that is scratched-up or a broken original floppy disk that won't read anymore.

Conversely, "It's somewhere in my parent's basement" or "I bought it years ago, but my friend lost it" are probably NOT very good defenses...

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2013, 09:43:25 AM »
I thought it was true in the US that if you owned them you could download them as part of "backup" and that's how they were allowed in the first place.

* Please note I am not offering legal advise in any capacity; I am simply theorizing based on my very limited knowledge and understanding about a very complex subject.

Due to the frail nature of the magnetic media, you could make your OWN back-up copy back in the diskette days, but I'm not sure about downloading from a third-party.  The whole point about the back-up was you didn't install it on someone else's computer or in turn sell the back-up to someone else so they avoided buying a copy.  I don't believe someone could distribute or transfer "their" copy to you, which is what piracy amounts to...

I would imagine it's contingent on the fact you can prove you have the original media / documentation in your physical possession, like an original CD-ROM that is scratched-up or a broken original floppy disk that won't read anymore.

Conversely, "It's somewhere in my parent's basement" or "I bought it years ago, but my friend lost it" are probably NOT very good defenses...

Yeah...interestingly enough, I do have almost all of the games I downloaded in my possession...old floppies & CD-ROMs that just won't run on newer systems...I don't even know why I keep them, save for just pure nostalgia purposes.   :P

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
Yeah...interestingly enough, I do have almost all of the games I downloaded in my possession...old floppies & CD-ROMs that just won't run on newer systems...I don't even know why I keep them, save for just pure nostalgia purposes.   :P

You should definitely install DOSBox.  You can play DOS and Win3.x games (providing you have Win 3.x install diskettes) on any computer modern computer.

A few years ago, before I knew about DOSBox, I bought a 486 machine specifically to play these old games.  Now, I can play them on any machine, fast or slow!

It took me a while to understand the particulars and concepts, but I'm sure we could help you to get it going...  We have some pretty smart people here.   :D

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2013, 03:04:40 PM »
  I checked out the said site listed above.  They have thousands of old games to download for a small fee.  This seems totally illegal, but they seem to get away with it.  I have to wonder if it is like buying used games on Amazon or EBay.  The games do work but I'd be worried about viruses and spyware, like downloading any abandonware product. I will stick to GoG in the future. ;)
**********Chadly*********************

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2013, 03:14:13 PM »
Currently Kickstarting: Alum by Micah Orsie
"There have already been a number of retro Sierra- and Lucasarts-style adventure games Kickstarted over the past year, so why not add another one to the list? Micah Orsie and the people at Crashable Studios has just gone live with a classic point-and-click adventure game called Alum. You play as the titular character as he goes on a quest to find the cure to an epidemic dubbed “the vague” that has befallen the people of his city of Cosmos."
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2013, 03:17:37 PM »
Yeah, I'm a bit wary about that site myself.  Better to stick with services that I know and trust like Steam and GoG.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2013, 03:07:50 PM »
When you think of American McGee you generally think Alice.  So who better to create a darker and more disturbing Oz than him?  Just like his previous games, this isn’t your grandmother’s fantasy story.  No, OZombie is so much more than what you’ve read or seen.  Little has been revealed about the plot, but what I’ve seen leaves me breathless.  And they promise an action-adventure experience that should make fans of American’s other works happy.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »
What's that, you say?

A light-hearted children's story re-imagined to be Dark and GrittyTM?

Oh?  And it's going to have zombies, too??

How can this possibly suck???  ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2013, 03:33:15 PM »
In all seriousness, I liked Alice, and the Wizard of Oz seems like a logical choice for the American McGee treatment, but I can't help but feel that what worked and was cool back when Alice came out has become incredibly tired and worn out now that it's 2013 and we've been seeing this sort of thing in every conceivable major fantasy, science fiction, and adventure franchise for the past decade.  Color me very skeptical.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2013, 05:44:05 PM »
I couldn't agree more.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
I actually like the idea of a classic turned upside-down.  And it's not your traditional zombie story, either.  If it was, I wouldn't have backed it at all.  It's more of a social commentary than a horror fest.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »
Honestly, all Zombie stuff, since Romero, has been social commentary over horror.  And the trope of turning the classic story on it's head by making it dark and gritty?  It's old and tired.... The art for Ozombie looks great, but honestly, the game is as interesting and original to me as a can of government cheese.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."