Author Topic: qfi-demo_2.0 Linux  (Read 17156 times)

åäö123

qfi-demo_2.0 Linux
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:02:14 AM »
I tried the demo but i wasn't in to much luck so i ran into some problems.
First i use 64bit and i am happy that it supports both 32 and 64 bit since i got no multilib. :D

Now for my problems.
1. Audio didn't work for me, i use alsa and has no pulseaudio.
Checking sound inits.
AGS: Initialize sound drivers
Unable to initialize your audio hardware.
[Problem: No supported synth type found]

2. The game ran slowly, (Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics with open source radeon, xf86-video-ati-6.14.6)
AGS: Initializing screen settings
AGS: Init gfx filters
AGS: Init gfx driver
AGS: Switching to graphics mode
AGS: Widescreen side borders: game resolution: 320 x 240; desktop resolution: 1366 x 768
AGS: Widescreen side borders: gfx card does not support suitable resolution. will attempt 426 x 240 anyway
AGS: Attempt to switch gfx mode to 426 x 240 (32-bit)
AGS: Succeeded. Using gfx mode 426 x 240 (32-bit)
AGS: Preparing graphics mode screen
AGS: Screen resolution: 426 x 240; game resolution 320 x 200

3. The game crashed.
AGS: Loading room 1
An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.21.1115)
Error: Error running function 'room_Load':
Error: Null pointer referenced
AGS: ***** ENGINE HAS SHUTDOWN
AGS: Debug system: shutting down output subsystem... ()
It also dies trying to load room 39 and room 28.

System info.
Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 3000-3300 Series] [1002:960f]
Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383]
VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780M/RS780MN [Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics] [1002:9612]

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
Re: qfi-demo_2.0 Linux
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I have a pretty good idea as to why it is crashing in those rooms.  I believe it has something to do with the music errors you referred to previously.  When those rooms load, it checks what track is currently playing, and if you couldn't initilize the sound drivers that could result in the crash.  We appreciate the feedback and it will go towards making the game better! 
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »
I tried the demo but i wasn't in to much luck so i ran into some problems.
First i use 64bit and i am happy that it supports both 32 and 64 bit since i got no multilib. :D
You're welcome!   It was really important to us to address that requirement up-front, and I'm glad it was a good decision.

1. Audio didn't work for me, i use alsa and has no pulseaudio.
Checking sound inits.
AGS: Initialize sound drivers
Unable to initialize your audio hardware.
[Problem: No supported synth type found]
I have an idea what might be causing this, and related ALSA behaviors have been discussed a bit over at the forums on the site where QFI's adventure game engine is built and supported.  I'll look into it for you and see if a fix or workaround can be discovered in short order (for the record;  some ALSA configurations were tested to work successfully, in addition to Pulse, as well as OSS-only cards via Pulse as well).

For the moment, we'll assume that the crash is related to sound support, and tackle it first.

2. The game ran slowly, (Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics with open source radeon, xf86-video-ati-6.14.6)
Not to second-guess you, or anything, but I assume that you moved the "Speed" slider in the options menu all the way to the top, yes?  Mr. Roehm's default walk speed is fairly slow (but looks really cool).

System info.
Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 3000-3300 Series] [1002:960f]
Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383]
VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780M/RS780MN [Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics] [1002:9612]
Great!! This is really helpful.  I'll dig in and do some testing.  I'm sorry that I don't have a configuration that immediately works perfectly for you (I tried), but I will give it a shot.  I don't have a schedule of when I can have something ready (don't know what's wrong, can't estimate the work  :) ).

Would you be willing to test some stuff, or would your rather not?  It would make me feel a lot better to have a test build get a thumbs-up from the bug reporter!
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

åäö123

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:08:48 PM »
Quote from: s_d
Not to second-guess you, or anything, but I assume that you moved the "Speed" slider in the options menu all the way to the top, yes?  Mr. Roehm's default walk speed is fairly slow (but looks really cool).
No i hadn't tried that, but i did and it still felt slow and not as fast as it does in the kickstarter video (when it's fast).
The slider didn't change the speed much at all, do you have a video of low, middle and top speed so i can compare with what i get?

And i am willing to "test some stuff". ;)

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
We were having some speed issues in the original demo so we changed a bit of the code dealing with player speed.  If you feel like you are not moving fast enough, you can also hit the run icon on the icon bar and when he runs he moves a bit faster as well.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

åäö123

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:51:24 PM »
Well i know that i can run but that doesn't help the rest of the animation speed.

I just thought of another thing, often if i use arrow keys or numpad to navigate he won't walk.
It's like hes has an epileptic seizure standing up as long as i press the button, so i need to choose walk and click for the character to start moving.
Also sometimes it's like my click actions doesn't seem to work so i need to click again.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 09:10:59 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think we've got keyboard movement in there at all.  Am I mistaken?
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think we've got keyboard movement in there at all.  Am I mistaken?

Yes, certainly there is functional keyboard control.  It's classic Sierra-style (arrow key to move, same arrow to stop).

I just thought of another thing, often if i use arrow keys or numpad to navigate he won't walk.
It's like hes has an epileptic seizure standing up as long as i press the button, so i need to choose walk and click for the character to start moving.
Also sometimes it's like my click actions doesn't seem to work so i need to click again.

I'm not sure where would be the right place to tutorialize this for new players... and this movement style is definitely a "taken for granted" thing in the community around the game engine being used.

Basically, you don't hold down the button, you just press the arrow to "get him going".  Then he'll continue that direction until you A) change his direction pressing one of the other arrows, B) press the same direction, and stop him, or C) use the mouse.  I didn't know he'd dance a little jig if we held down a direction!

Maybe that's a feature  ;)
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 09:42:24 PM »

Ha!  I just tested it, that's hilarious looking  ;D

Yeah, you definitely need to just press and let go.

As far as your ALSA audio problem, I'll need to set up a test environment to duplicate the issue and start working it.  There is an ALSA support library shipped with the game data, and it's definitely not a problem of the wrong library (accidental 32-bit packed with the 64-bit, or linked against the wrong system libraries) because you'd have console output with run-time linking errors.  I suspect that either it cannot access the default ALSA device (due to bug) or needs an "acsetup.cfg" configuration option.

Either way, probably I need to read the code that generates "[Problem: No supported synth type found]" and have a good think  :)

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »
The slider didn't change the speed much at all, do you have a video of low, middle and top speed so i can compare with what i get?

I will make such videos after I solve the audio bug.  You need to hear this game, dude, seriously!

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 09:44:17 PM »
Ah.  Didn't even realize that keyboard movement was usually a standard thing with AGS games.  I remember keyboard controls being a bitch to get right in SQ2, particularly in the underground tunnels, so much so that we ended up scrapping them in favor of a point-and-click navigation system for that area.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 09:52:27 PM »
Well, standard for the Sierra-inspired ones, anyway.

I can't claim to have played even a tenth of the ones available, but I will, now that Linux is a first-class citizen.  I'll be buying the entire Wadjet Eye catalog as soon as it's released, for sure.  I've now played every demo of every one of their games (except the Blackwell games after Legacy, because of spoilers), and now I've played Gemini Rue in beta testing for them.

åäö123

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 10:09:45 PM »
Yes, certainly there is functional keyboard control.  It's classic Sierra-style (arrow key to move, same arrow to stop).
Your right, i guess it's been to long since i played Sierra-style games, but now that you mentioned it i can clearly remember it.
Well shame om me but i guess i'm not the last one, maybe a comical message about it if i hold the button to long (like after 10sec).

I will make such videos after I solve the audio bug.  You need to hear this game, dude, seriously!
I wouldn't argue with that, since sound is important to me and often a major part of the game.

I can't claim to have played even a tenth of the ones available, but I will, now that Linux is a first-class citizen.
I grow up playing Sierra games and other piont-n-click (but the early ones was keyboard navigation and you typed things).
But still there are games that i haven't played.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »
Yeah - we have standard Sierra Style arrow key control.  One press to move, one press to stop.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

åäö123

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 04:21:18 AM »
The graphics sluggishness and click problem disappear if i change scaler to Hq2x or Hq3x.
So that was my fault also, but i didn't know that i needed to play with the settings since i never used anything that uses AGS before.
The crash was related to sound as you guessed, i got it working.
The problem was that i had no midi device since it's an internal sound card (codec).
"aplaymidi -l" does show midi support but there's no /dev/midi0X so i needed to add digiid.

Code: (acsetup.cfg) [Select]
[misc]
gamecolordepth=16
titletext=Quest for Infamy Demo 2.0
windowed=1
gfxfilter=Hq2x
[sound]
digiid=1
midiid=0

Is there anywhere i can find valid options for acsetup.cfg and explanations of them?
The only problem that remains now is that when i use Hq2x or Hq3x scaler fullscreen won't work so i'm forced to use windowed mode.
Fullscreen works for 1/10 of a second on every screen and then it changes and looks interlaced.

So now i can atleast enjoy the so far working demo with sound, and i will buy myself a copy of the game. :D