Author Topic: Bt's Corner  (Read 34756 times)

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
Re: Bt's Corner
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 06:30:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've said this elsewhere in the forums, but what I really appreciate in adventure games are puzzles that are something other than "find object X, go to place Y, use X to Z". Flight of the Amazon Queen offers some of my favorite examples - there are quite a few puzzles that are solved through dialogue, including at least one instance of going down a conversation path, failing to accomplish the goal but learning something vital, then returning down the same path and using that information to get where you need to go. Other puzzles involve reusing the same item in multiple, clever ways - there's a vacuum cleaner that serves a number of purposes, and a knife that's handy almost any time you need to cut something. I'm not talking about the Myst-style puzzles where you toss the inventory aside and just push buttons until something happens, but things that don't make you feel like you're trudging down an ordered list of events that lead to a conclusion. Retreading old ground in a new situation can be fascinating if done properly, but it rarely is. Remember finally navigating the cave maze in the first Legend of Kyrandia, getting the Will-o-wisp spell that made moving around the cave trivial, and realizing there was no point to it anymore? It would be nice if some of the objectives could wait until after you had the spell so there was a reason to continue exploring with it. Lambo's suggestion is a similar element, where you put together information to come to a conclusion that solves a puzzle. If there's a lot of reading, though, there has to be SOMETHING to make it not boring. Voiceovers like Alone in the Dark are one possible idea, for ironic effect.

Basically, I love using inventory items to solve puzzles, but I hate feeling like an item exists just to be the solution to a puzzle. It makes the game feel contrived.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 05:15:33 PM »
Arriving late to the party to praise the valiant efforts....nay....successful achievement of Bt to entertain us with that Shatner unplugged rendition of GITT.

lemonrev

• Recruit
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »
heya people, I just finally realized after all this time that there was indeed a backers part to the forum and had to get my status here.

I have quickly seen a few videos and whatnot to catch up on the whats new and glad people are actually making comments :P.

Blackthorn I like your guitar playing and your willing to do as some people ask i wont be doing that but thought it was past time to check in here and let my hair down...

Ill look forward to comming back and seeing what else is new in the near future. thanks for all the updates so far :).

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
Hey, welcome to the party, Lemonrev!  Thanks for the compliments, and for stopping by!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 07:59:48 AM »
Hey Guys!

Whew... well, I can tell you - it's been a BUSY month over here at QFI headquarters.  We've been swimming in amazing backgrounds, crazy fun animations, and lines and lines of code.

We're really closing in on completing ALL the backgrounds for Quest For Infamy - at this point, we have over 170 for you to explore.  It's... well, frankly crazy.  But it's a pretty big adventure game world - the kind of large world I always wanted to explore in a game.  It's amazing that we can do all this now.

The sprites and animations that have been made lately... they're just mind blowing.  Jerm, "Dr. Slash", Matt and Jon have been making incredible animations that will populate the world.  Jerm's also made all the backer cameo sprites for the game - and Jenny Pattison is working on the portraits to accompany them.  I'm very excited for people to get to see themselves!  It's fun to be able to offer our supporters a part of the game and a part of the story.

The backgrounds that Fizzii, Ivan, Jon and Lambonius have been making are just breath-taking.  Heh, I mean, I wish I could do them more justice with my words - but seeing them come to life, and watching the separate areas of the Valley of Krasna come to life - and thus bring the game world together - has been amazing. 

We're toiling along here - working very hard.  The team is really giving an extra push these days as we barrel towards completion.

I just wanted to check in with you all, and let you know!

Bt

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 10:41:14 AM »
I've seen my sprite and I have to say that it's wonderful and I can't wait to see it incorporated into the game.  And I look forward to seeing what Jenny has in store for my portrait.  You all have done incredible work and I'm proud to be a part of it in all of the ways that I have.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »
You've seen your sprite already??  Wow, awesome.  I'm jealous!  I have no doubt you guys have all been working your tails off.  I wish, as much as making & playing these kinds of games interests me, that I had the talent to do what you all do.  Not only am I a proud backer but also an enormous fan.  Keep up the great work.  I feel like I sometimes say these same things over & over again but I truly mean it.  Huge. Fan.

Thank you so much for the update!  Just makes me all the more excited.   :D

Sarah

Jerminator

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 10:10:58 PM »
Sarah I think I created your in game sprite. Along with some other backers, it's kind of hit or miss what we have or have not gotten completed, but I will say we're really moving behind the scenes with all this stuff.

I'm sure Bt can get you a sneak peak at the sprite, and I know Jen does beautiful work from pics to in game portraits!

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
You have done her sprite!  I talk with Serena and Mike on facebook pretty frequently, that's how I showed them.

Bt

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 01:12:43 AM »
We're really closing in on completing ALL the backgrounds for Quest For Infamy - at this point, we have over 170 for you to explore.  It's... well, frankly crazy.  But it's a pretty big adventure game world - the kind of large world I always wanted to explore in a game.  It's amazing that we can do all this now.

Umm... what?!  I'm hard-pressed to come up with a point-and-click adventure beyond ~100 areas.  170 is beyond crazy, it's flat-out brain-gobbling.  Can anyone come up with another hand-painted VGA graphic adventure with 170 backgrounds?  Anywhere near that many?

I do believe we're in for an amazing treat.

Also... I'd surely love to see my sprite and/or portrait :-D
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2013, 09:40:14 AM »
Umm, yeah, heh - it's kind of crazy.  There's a really rich world to explore here.  Keep in mind, this is 170 not including the 100+ rooms of the Zork-like maze-mines that you can explore and loot, as well. 

Bt

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 10:37:43 AM »
Did...did you say Zork-like maze-mine?
*faints*
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Sektor

• Recruit
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2013, 05:56:06 AM »
Oh no! No adventure game is complete without a horrible annoying maze section :)

The problem with those mazes is when they are just added to pad the game length but I'm sure these guys added them for the right reasons. Humour is a valid reason ;D

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »
I'm sure we'll be amazed when the game comes out.
When you're a farrier you need to know these things