Author Topic: What do y'all think of "mage's initiation"?  (Read 43403 times)

7legion77

What do y'all think of "mage's initiation"?
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
I hate to say it, but I just viewed their kickstarter video and their game seems quite boring.
The one thing that differentiates QFI from Mage's Initiation is humor and originality. The raunchy style of Infamy is far more entertaining than a predictable, vanilla G-rated generic fantasy game.

Just my opinion.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: What do y'all think of "mage's initiation"?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 04:07:26 PM »
I think Himalaya will produce a top quality product with really tight programming and decent production values.  As to their choice of subject matter--I can only speculate.  It really depends on how well they differentiate between the four magic types to make the classes feel different.  Personally, I always considered the mage to be one of the least interesting character types in most RPGs, though Quest For Glory made up for it with a number of interesting optional story and puzzle elements for that class.  I think the writing in the AGDI/Himalaya fantasy games (namely their KQ remakes with added plot elements) is a bit on the generic fantasy side--I wasn't a fan of the Father storyline or all the silly prophecy stuff they tried to add to tie the KQ games together.  It wasn't quite as bad as TSL, if only because the AGDI writers can actually write believable and non-cheesy dialog--something Pheonix Online still has trouble with, even in Cognition.  I'm looking forward to giving Mage's Initiation a try though.  Despite the potentially bland subject matter, I do have faith in their ability to deliver a fun and interesting adventure game experience.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
I think it'll be good. Daniel Stacey can write a good story, and not having to tie together all the various KQ games and being given free reign with a story will be good to see. I thought Al Emmo was quite good so I look forward to it.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:35:45 PM »
Let me tell you - from what I've seen, it's actually really cool.  I'm rather psyched about it.  I feel like it's almost a companion piece to QFI - QFI is more about playing as a scoundrel/thief, and Mage's is an adventure for Magic users.  Now I think we have to have another game about a Barbarian and we're all set!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
Ted the Barbarian?
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 08:05:14 PM »
Ted The Barbarian would be the most excellent game ever.  I would make "Ted The Barbarian".  Who would want to see that one, eh??

Bt

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 08:28:54 PM »
 I dont like the idea of playing elements as classes. It doesn't really excite me to play as fire or earth etc. Thief was always my preferred ever since playing guild of thieves text adventure. That aside I hold hopes that they can produce an interesting game. In particular the battle system looks like a lot of fun

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 12:35:34 AM »
I actually liked the Father storyline in their KQ2 remake.  With that said, I really did enjoy their previous games (except for Al Emmo, but that's only because I haven't played it yet).  I'm sure they'll do great with Mage's Initiation and I have faith that it'll be an enjoyable experience.  Magic user's tend to be my least favorite class type to play, but if each element ties to certain play styles it might be a good way to differentiate itself from other adventure and adventure/RPG hybrid games.  I have enough faith to put up four Benjamins at the very least.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 02:18:12 AM »
Who would want to see that one, eh??

Barbarian S. Preston.

Esquire.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 08:42:45 AM »
I think a lot of the replay value, and possibly the entertainment value overall, is going to come from how they distinguish between the classes. It's more than just elements, at least - it seems like the classes have more of a cultural implication, and there will be different quest lines for each class. If the spells amount to more than just elemental attacks, then there's room for a lot of variety in the combat, too. I'm hoping for something like Avatar: The Last Airbender, minus the actual ongoing conflict between the Fire Nation and the rest of the world. (Although that conflict might itself be interesting, but more likely material for a sequel in this case.)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 11:10:56 AM »
I just wish the names weren't so cheesy.  D'Arc.  Seriously.  Legenimor.  Ugh.  Generic fantasy cliche at its most rife.

Just once I'd like to see a fantasy game with real world names.  There are a massive array to choose from if you don't just stick to English names.  It's just the blatantly made up or purposefully complex spellings that irk me.  We're a bit guilty of it, too, frankly.  ;)

7legion77

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 02:31:42 PM »
Let me tell you - from what I've seen, it's actually really cool.  I'm rather psyched about it.  I feel like it's almost a companion piece to QFI - QFI is more about playing as a scoundrel/thief, and Mage's is an adventure for Magic users.  Now I think we have to have another game about a Barbarian and we're all set!

Bt

Haha like a "Quest for Savagery"? How about a game where you go to different towns, looting, pillaging, and burning everything in your path? Where its possible to kill NPC's. How about a pirate game... the anti-Monkey Island. You could call it "Cutthroat". 

While I got your attention Bt, do you guys need any help with voice acting? Maybe just a few lines for a minor character. I'm not looking to get paid, just trying to see if I have any potential as a voice actor. Someone once told me that I should look into it.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »
If you like, send me a little sample at blackthorne@infamous-adventures.com .

Bt

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 12:48:09 PM »
We made funding! Yey!

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »
We made funding! Yey!

Never a doubt in my mind, but it's still an amazing feeling!!

Bt