Author Topic: Bug testing  (Read 17478 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
Bug testing
« on: July 27, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »
Btw, just curious but any chance any of the people catching bugs for future patches can get their names in the credits as post-release testers? ;)

Dutchman

Re: Bug testing
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:19:16 PM »
I only want to be credited if you do a naked pixel art of me.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:40:24 PM »

No problem.  Feel free to send any nude reference pics to steve@infamous-quests.com.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Dutchman

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:10:53 PM »

No problem.  Feel free to send any nude reference pics to steve@infamous-quests.com.
Deal and sent.

miriya

• Villain
  • Liked: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 12:17:51 AM »
Wait, are you really going to give credit to people who've submitted bugs?  I honestly can't tell how many of these posts are facetious (well, except for the naked pics one). 

Fizzii

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1039
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 06:18:59 AM »
If every game credited people who submitted bugs post release, then the credits will span thousands of lines.

In short, and sorry to burst your bubble Bad2dabone, but I don't think it's something that should be expected. You should've volunteered prior to release; we could've really used committed beta testers then!
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »
you mean you didn't have the ones you got committed?
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Fizzii

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1039
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 11:55:27 PM »
Testing isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Nearly everyone thinks that they can be a tester, but it really requires a good eye for detail, and huge dedication, and sometimes going through the pain of rechecking certain things to find out what exactly triggers a certain bug. Sometimes you might get some good feedback regarding gameplay from someone that just wants to play the game early, but usually they only end up playing a bit of the start then giving up.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 02:08:28 AM »
Yea oddly most people .. not all,
watch grandmas boy and think testing is just like that

in truth it CAN be

with telltale games well, they make it fun
(and no I dont mean playtesting)
though thats a different ball o wax

not just an eye for detail,
its the ability to spot things in endless lines of code depending on engines and coding used
bottom line is
whomever writes the code LEAVE NOTES !!!
this helps the testers afterwards !! yes its tedious and very time consuming, frankly I  LOVE it.
it does take loads of dedication
and the ability to take bad feedback with the good
another KUDOS to this dev team for that
bt is great with bad and the good and the ugly  and not in that order lol
damn now I have that song in my head...
ahhhhhh... wah wah wahhhhh..
drawww!

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 03:12:35 AM »
Somehow I doubt thoroughly testing a Telltale game takes all THAT long.  ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 06:47:03 AM »
depends what lvl you are in the testing hierarchy
some of the older games, for sure had almost no team and no real testing done and no playtesters

but the latter games and upcoming borderlands, game of thrones, and the testing of the friggen WII and the wii mote issues just ALONE are yes..tedious and long

compared to insane budget games.. like ubisoft, its a penny in a bucket but then again so are all of this teams games in that retro-spec

was this meant as a semi insult?

I spent loaaads of time just on strongbad
gawwd damn wii motes...

if you have no exp testing the code for that and then having playtesters and myriads of issues with just that alone.. well shrug

as for most ttg's   they are again about as difficult as any point and click advents with semi 3d environments
loads of issues vs say the 2d you guys do,
which is why LA and sierra games rock
yea they have issues but you can pump em out pretty quick and without to much hassle

but i feel kinda hurt in a way, from that post there lambonius
ive said nothing but praise about this group and loved IA before IS

shrug,

sorry for name dropping seems it mighta been the issue there..
wont happen again mate,
not sure what that post means really, kinda sitting in my brain making me wonder why it took us over a year just to get the friggen game to beta much-less a playtest phase (and thats just one episode of a game not all 5 of a season!)
now it seems ttg is pumping episodes out so fast as to get ready for the bigger budget games (not that dan conners needs more money lol)

but I ♥ttg
as I♥IS

shrug
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 08:04:38 AM »
I think Lambo was just referring to his opinion about TellTale games in general as they do not allow for much exploration and are quite linear.  The more you get to know him, you will learn he doesn't shy away from bad talking certain games/companies.  There was no malice or personal insult there.

It is interesting to hear how some of the companies do their testing.  On our end I feel as though we had quite a few people on board to test.  Some posted a bug here and there, but many got access to the game early and were not heard from again.  It is quite hard to find good testers.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

DrSlash

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 727
    • buckazoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »
Somehow I doubt thoroughly testing a Telltale game takes all THAT long.  ;)
I just finished playing Tales of Monkey Island yesterday and found three bugs (nothing gamebreaking, though) xD
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests".

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 10:52:24 AM »
Heh...I meant no offense.  I'm sure testing Telltale's games is just as grueling and has its own unique issues given the 3D environments and multiple console ports.  I was just joking about the length and linearity of their most recent games.  As one who spent days upon days upon days and lost countless hours of sleep testing QFI, only to feel like I'd barely scratched the surface, I'd have KILLED to be able to test a short, linear game with almost no puzzles and NO RPG ELEMENTS.  :)  Even testing Space Quest 2 VGA felt like a breeze compared to QFI.

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 12:53:28 PM »
Testing isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Nearly everyone thinks that they can be a tester, but it really requires a good eye for detail, and huge dedication, and sometimes going through the pain of rechecking certain things to find out what exactly triggers a certain bug. Sometimes you might get some good feedback regarding gameplay from someone that just wants to play the game early, but usually they only end up playing a bit of the start then giving up.

I'm one of those guilty of not testing as much as I wanted.  I did report some errors, but this was the first time I've ever tested a game, and it was WAY more complex than I ever could imagine.  Which is an awesome thing--but unfortunately, life & work just got in the way for me, so I wasn't too much help with that in the end I'm afraid.  (Excuses, excuses... :PBut I definitely didn't choose to be a beta tester just to get my hands on the game...this is a project I've really believed in from the start and I have HUGE amount of respect for everyone who worked so tirelessly on it.  So my main contribution probably wasn't so much with the testing, but I wanted to help in any way possible.

:D