Author Topic: Steam question  (Read 2839 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
Steam question
« on: July 16, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »
Okay, so I told my brother about this game.  He's interested in playing but said, "I'll wait til it's on a Steam sale, I only buy Steam games when they're on sale."

A few questions...

1. Do you guys make more money or less money when the game sells when it's on sale?

2. Will this game ever have a Steam sale?  If so, how long would it be?  Probably not for a good while I'd reckon since it just came out.

Thanks! :)

Also, is there any way to track sales?  I really like this game a lot and I'll try to tell as many people as I can about it.  I'll get it for my brother for XMas since he's a cheap bastard anyway when it comes to Steam games. (then again, he's got dozens he's barely touched- but he does work in the industry so his job draws him across tons of differing games)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Steam question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 06:49:37 PM »
In all honesty?  We make more money when people pay full price for our game.  ;)  Still though, it's always good to have the exposure.  I'd prefer people buy the game when it's on sale than not at all.  That said, I have no idea when or if it will be on sale in the near future.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 01:18:56 AM »
We only released the game a week ago, we won't be putting it on sale for a little while yet!
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:28:22 PM »
Funnily enough, I think that economically speaking, the answer to the first question changes over time, which is why there are sales at all. It's supply and demand - demand decreases over time as more people already own whatever is being sold and no longer need one, so fewer people buy it. Eventually, you reach a point where decreasing the price brings in enough new sales (either cheapskates who were waiting for sales or people who just couldn't afford to pay full price) that it compensates for the decreased income per sale and amounts to more money per time period. That's when the sale happens. Permanent price decreases work the same way. Particularly when it comes to software, there's no additional cost for selling more units, so the effort can be put to improving the product or making a new one to start selling when the previous one has saturated the market.

In short, it's possible to wait for a sale, but then you don't get to play the game while you're waiting, and all of your friends will be talking freely about it by then. This is why I so rarely play video games anymore.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:57:13 PM »
A lot of times I kind of just wait to play certain games, particularly the giant ones that always have lots of bugs and are guaranteed to have a dozen patches and a crap-ton of DLC.  Not only will the price go down eventually but the game will finally be "complete" and "ready" to play.