Author Topic: Wot I'm Reading - The Book Thread  (Read 15654 times)

Shadolyst

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 976
  • Characters & Environments Artist/Animator
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
Re: Wot I'm Reading - The Book Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 03:11:45 PM »
On the fun side: I've been reading the H.G. Wells novels (The Time Machine, War of the Worlds, etc.), as well as the old Oz books by L. Frank Baum.

One the serious side: I've also been studying some heavy theological books and the Christian Bible, I like to be balanced in my reading :)
Jonathan M. Stoll

"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests".

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 03:44:41 PM »
I love H.G. Wells!  Have you read any John Wyndham, Jon?  If not I highly recommend, similar style and very thought provoking social commentary in a sci-fi setting.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Shadolyst

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 976
  • Characters & Environments Artist/Animator
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 05:11:29 PM »
I love H.G. Wells!  Have you read any John Wyndham, Jon?  If not I highly recommend, similar style and very thought provoking social commentary in a sci-fi setting.

I have not, but I'm always looking for interesting fantasy/scifi novels. Thanks, Jen! :)
Jonathan M. Stoll

"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests".

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 08:39:19 PM »
Hey Chadly, you didn't find the last few books really drawn out? I like em too and have been reading them on and off the last few years but damn, I get bogged down a lot.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 09:13:57 PM »
Klytos, it's taken me so long to chug through them that I've plum forgot the first five books or so.  The task of re-reading 4500 pages just to remember why I'm supposed to care about a specific character or event is incredibly daunting.  Worse, what if I reread the first part, only to find that I've forgotten more than I thought, and must reread the rest for context?!

I own the Sanderson novels in hardcover, but literally haven't so much as glanced at a word of Wheel of Time since Knife of Dreams almost a decade ago :-[

Currently I'm working my way through an e-book version of the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft, weighing in around 1100 pages, which frankly feels like a bit of light reading, in comparison.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 04:01:05 PM »
Going back to Bt's first post, I just saw a documentary last night called Jodorowski's Dune about a movie back in 1975 that never was completed.  You can see a number of ideas from his movie/script that were taken and put into other movies.  Pretty awesome.  If you have not seen it, totally worth watching.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 04:50:33 PM »
I have it, going to watch it soon!

Right now, I'm reading "Remember The Time: Protecting Michael Jackson" written by his former bodyguards.  And interesting look at the man's life - it's really kind of sad.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »
I don't read anything except shitty internet forums.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 09:17:11 PM »
I'm reading Jermaine Jackson's book about his brother Michael. Just finished the Console Wars Sega v Nintendo.

Ilyich

• QFI Work Team
  • Villain
  • Liked: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 02:53:30 AM »
+1 on that Jodorowsky's Dune recommendation - an excellent watch! Of course, as someone who adores The Holy Mountain and Incal I'm somewhat biased, but even 84 years old Jodorowsky is still a whirlwind of charisma and creativity, and a very interesting man to listen to.

More on topic - recently finished reading China Mieville's Bas-Lag books and  loved all of them - if you're interested in ambitious and unusual fantasy fiction - I can't recommend them enough!

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 07:41:16 AM »
El Topo is rad too.  I also just read Console Wars! Great read.

Bt

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 02:11:32 PM »
           @Klytos   Yes the books are long and drawn out. Too many plot threads to keep track of.  One unanswered question i have is who killed Asmodean?   After Jordan died Sanderson just doesnt have the style of writing to keep things exciting i found.  Altho Towers of Midnight and A Memory of Light were pretty well written. 

What did you think of Feist's Magicians End?
**********Chadly*********************

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 05:05:06 AM »
I enjoyed Magician's End a lot. It was good to finally resolve the stories of Pug and Tomas. I actually really loved how they dealt with Pug in the end. I actually thought his final trilogy was excellent, easily the best since the Serpentwar Saga. The only thing I disliked was I didn't think the star elves were really finished up, storywise.

As for the Wheel of Time. I just think the whole series is way too drawn out.  I can deal with that but then he names a lot of his characters similar names, Elaida, Elayne, Egwene - in particular Elayne and Egwene I get confused sometimes because they've so similar. And on the same theme the name of objects also has the same problem, angreal / sa'angreal / ter'angreal as an example. If these things only happened in one place that'd be fine, but because he makes this mistake over and over I became quite confused a lot of the time.

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 10:06:11 AM »
       Feists got a new series coming out next year.  According to him its going to be like Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin.  Which is an Execelent series to read. Very graphic with good plots, characters, well written.

The Wheel of Time was too long. Originally it was supposed to be six books and went to fourteen!  By the time i got to book six I was ready for it to end, but Jordan is like the Energizer bunny he kept writing and writing......

Feist's Magician series with Pug and Tomas was quite possibly the best written fantasy series i have ever read.  Seeing it come to an end made me sad but satisfied. 

Try Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth Series. Execelent story very graphic, with a fine line between good and evil characters.
**********Chadly*********************

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 08:21:34 PM »
Agreed with Wheel of Time being too drawn out. I really enjoyed it early on, but then it seemed like entire books went by and nothing happened, largely because there are too many main characters in too many places, so you only get a chapter or two of action with each of the many plot threads. I thought the end of book... nine? was an amazing moment, and then book ten consisted almost entirely of every character in the series reacting to that and then maybe delivering one other line of dialogue or talking about how they didn't have a plan for doing whatever they'd be doing in book eleven.

I finished Raising Steam (highly recommended, perhaps even more than most previous Discworld books) and have moved on to my backlog of children's books - plowed through the latest Dork Diaries this morning, and now I'm putting off the new Lemony Snicket anthology and starting the Percy Jackson series to check out The School for Good and Evil. It's already got a sequel, so a lot will depend on how much I enjoy it. It's pretty good in the first few sections - the protagonist is pretty dislikeable, which is clearly intentional and a very good sign.