Author Topic: Quest For Gory 4.5 inspired this?  (Read 80422 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
Re: Quest For Gory 4.5 inspired this?
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »
Well if you can, please send him a link to this topic.  Even if he doesn't respond, he'll probably still read the link.

If he knows there's actual fans of QFG 4.5 anxious for the remake, maybe he'll fix it up. :)

Also, does anyone remember what the original racist joke was with the black pirate?  Given this game's sense of humor, I KNEW something was up when the game avoided making a racist joke when you click on the black pirate, I wasn't remotely surprised to hear there was originally something there.

However, it is funny that the "hooker sex scenes" were no big deal, but telling a racist joke was pure evil and that was the one thing that had to be censored, lol!

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »
arson, murder, jaywalking trope isn't it
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2013, 05:50:02 PM »
The guy who's remaking it reads these forums.  I've spoken with him - he's got a lot on his plate, and probably won't get around to wrapping it up for a while.  Don't hold your breath, in other words.

Also , the original racist joke was, "I'm not going to tell you, because I don't know."

Also, I see no problem with hooker sex scenes or sex in general.  Sex is natural; everyone has it, it's how we make both smiles and babies.  Racist jokes, however, have their roots in deep seeded fear, loathing and hate and generally, they're disgusting.  I don't want to get into another discussion about the semantics of racist jokes, however, because it's 2013 and that conversation practically founded the internet 20 years ago, and that's one retro thing I don't wanna dive into again.  They're lame, and even the original creator of the game said the humor was sophomoric and without tact when he first made it. 

So, to sum up, I would rather see people having sex than see racist jokes being told.  x1000.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2013, 12:32:13 AM »
The guy who's remaking it reads these forums.  I've spoken with him - he's got a lot on his plate, and probably won't get around to wrapping it up for a while.  Don't hold your breath, in other words.

Also , the original racist joke was, "I'm not going to tell you, because I don't know."

Also, I see no problem with hooker sex scenes or sex in general.  Sex is natural; everyone has it, it's how we make both smiles and babies.  Racist jokes, however, have their roots in deep seeded fear, loathing and hate and generally, they're disgusting.  I don't want to get into another discussion about the semantics of racist jokes, however, because it's 2013 and that conversation practically founded the internet 20 years ago, and that's one retro thing I don't wanna dive into again.  They're lame, and even the original creator of the game said the humor was sophomoric and without tact when he first made it. 

So, to sum up, I would rather see people having sex than see racist jokes being told.  x1000.

Bt

I'm actually okay with racist humor, just as long as it's funny and/or done in good spirits.... you know, like a Chris Rock sketch.

Btw, who made this game?  Does he still have any internet presence or read this at all?  I'd love to thank him personally!  There any old interviews with him out there at all?

Blake00

• Lackey
  • Liked: 35
    • https://www.youtube.com/c/BlakesSanctum
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2013, 07:24:12 AM »
Btw, who made this game?  Does he still have any internet presence or read this at all?  I'd love to thank him personally!  There any old interviews with him out there at all?

He disappeared a year or so after the game came out and as far as I know no one ever heard from him again.

That is until a few weeks ago when I got the shock of my err online related life lol and received an email from him about my website tribute to his game:

"Dude, I made QFG 4.5 back before college starting in 1999 up to 2000. I'd put it out there then sort of forgot/lost track. I told some friends about it, they googled it and found your page.

Thank you so much for the re-vamp! I still have the original source code, I'm not sure if that would have helped. I am extremely flattered by what you did for my old pet project. Frankly, my humor back then was a tad sophomoric and my spelling atrocious, but I'm very glad the game brought some people joy and that you put it back out there.

Cheers friend!"

I replied to him thanking him for the game etc and told him a bit about the potential remake (making it clear I wasn't the one working on it), this place, you guys, Quest for Infamy and Hero-U etc and chucked in some links. Never heard back from him sadly but nevertheless there ya go hey.. its been over a friggin decade and he's appeared.. briefly haha.

Moments like that are one of the reasons I made my QFG fan game tribute pages as I wanted authors to see how passionate fans can get about their little projects & that their work was never forgotten, and its awesome when one comes out of retirement/wilderness/exile to thank me and in most cases offer new material not seen by the public. Eg a similar thing happened with Klytos with QFI way before the kickstarter, Chris with the old Heroine's Quest, Orion with project Katrina and more I'm forgetting. :)

Blake's Sanctum - Quest For Glory Series:
fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2013, 10:53:24 AM »
That's awesome.  Nice going, Blake!  :)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2013, 01:33:44 PM »
EPIC!  To the duder that made the game, good luck with forming your multi-billion dollar internet gold company!  ;)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
Also, to the guy that made this game, if you read this.... please sign up and post!  I'm a huge fan of the game and would love to interview you and get your thoughts on it, the fandom and controversy!  ;D  (plus I'm sure others would love to talk to you too)

Ohh.... and we can have you post over at Elsa's board!  I'm sure she'd LOVE to have you post there!  ;)

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2013, 01:25:20 PM »
I downloaded the game fairly recently and couldn't get it to run, sadly...does it work with Dosbox or anything?  Anyone have a link to a current download?

Edit:  ok, probably only the link in the first post.  I'll just try to run it again when I get home from vacation & see if I'm more successful this time.  I'm not too handy running games if I have to tweak things a bit ;)

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2013, 08:56:01 PM »
I recently got Fable running on a modern-ish computer. Let's just say that sometimes, "sadly" isn't the word to associate with failure to run a game.

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2013, 01:44:22 PM »
I downloaded the game fairly recently and couldn't get it to run, sadly...does it work with Dosbox or anything?  Anyone have a link to a current download?

Edit:  ok, probably only the link in the first post.  I'll just try to run it again when I get home from vacation & see if I'm more successful this time.  I'm not too handy running games if I have to tweak things a bit ;)

Sarah if you hop over to my QFG fan page (link in my signature) and visit the QFG4.5 page its got the download links and my walkthrough that contains a installation guide. If you have any troubles post here and we can all try & put our heads together to help out again lol.

PS a girls reaction to the game would be 'interesting' to say the least hahaha.

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »

Sarah if you hop over to my QFG fan page (link in my signature) and visit the QFG4.5 page its got the download links and my walkthrough that contains a installation guide. If you have any troubles post here and we can all try & put our heads together to help out again lol.

PS a girls reaction to the game would be 'interesting' to say the least hahaha.

Alrighty...I had actually tried downloading & running it again when I originally posted that message but there's no winsetup.exe in the file, so my computer says something to the effect of "this system does not support full screen mode" when I click on the QFG.exe file.  There's a setup.bat file but tweaking that doesn't make a difference when trying to run the game. 

I'll mess with it some more but any tips?  And you'll have to talk in layman's terms to me unfortunately, I'm a computer game freak but not very knowledgeable, ha.  Now, I did actually play this game a long time ago (on an older model computer I'm sure), and I do remember loving it.  Despite being a girl, it takes a lot to freak me out or insult me.  One of my favorite first games was Leisure Suit Larry, after all...;)

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »
Yup you're talking about the exact same problem everyone gets when they try to get it working without any help. That's why I said to go and get the walkthrough from My QFG4.5 page as it contains a installation guide which you will need to get the game working.

Follow the guide and if you're still struggling we'll try and get you to the finish line. :)

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2013, 02:43:04 AM »
if you're still struggling we'll try and get you to the finish line. :)

Do you say that to a lot of women?
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »
bahahaha nah just this one, or at least that's the story I'm sticking to. :P