Author Topic: Simon the Sorcerer  (Read 10874 times)

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
Simon the Sorcerer
« on: November 03, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »
This is just a random post to say that I only started this game today. I've known of it for years, but today is the first time I have ever played it and so far, I wonder why I never tried it before. The humour is classic Point and Click adventure style ("When I move my mouse pointer over you, it says wizards") and I look forward to see what puzzles await me.

Just wanted to say that

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: Simon the Sorcerer
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »
Simon is awesome!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 08:35:10 PM »
Make sure you hang around in the bar to hear the whole conversation the wizards are having, it's hilarious :)
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 12:36:21 AM »
And pixel-hunt obsessively. The second game is far worse for hiding things from you and requiring nonsense actions to solve some of the puzzles (at least there's a hint system in the first one for some of the weirder things you have to do), but in the first game, they love hiding items you need in plain sight.

Also, if you can, play the CD version with voices. I grew up with the low-quality music from the floppy version, and most of the voices sound little like what I imagined, but Chris Barrie is Simon. That alone makes the voice cast great.

Lupin

• Lackey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 03:10:02 PM »
And pixel-hunt obsessively. The second game is far worse for hiding things from you and requiring nonsense actions to solve some of the puzzles (at least there's a hint system in the first one for some of the weirder things you have to do), but in the first game, they love hiding items you need in plain sight.

Also, if you can, play the CD version with voices. I grew up with the low-quality music from the floppy version, and most of the voices sound little like what I imagined, but Chris Barrie is Simon. That alone makes the voice cast great.

I'm playing one from GOG, which I imagine is the better quality version.

Wait, Chris Barrie? As in Arnold Judas Rimmer (also goes by Smeghead and Goalpost head) Chris Barrie? Wow, that is impressive voice acting, couldn't tell it was him.

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Portrait Lead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 03:46:39 PM »
Yep, him!  He does an amazing job of it too, adds so much to the game :)
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 08:22:53 PM »
I'm playing one from GOG, which I imagine is the better quality version.

The GOG installer lets you choose between floppy and CD versions. I picked up the Gobliiins pack this week, and that just installs both versions of all three games. GOG gives you some choices.

I fell in love with Chris Barrie's voice when I heard him read the script to an unmade episode of Red Dwarf. Most of the time, I forgot he was doing all the voices because his impressions of the rest of the cast were impeccable.

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »

NOOOO!!!  Damnit, now every replay I ever do will have Rimmer badgering me, rather than the narrator.  Chris Barrie is tops, but Rimmer is such a git...

There goes another childhood memory!

BTW, has anyone seen Red Dwarf X?  I don't think it's being aired on PBS here (perhaps video on demand or similar), but I'd love to order the DVD in January if it's awesome...  Why can't we US Americans just pay the UK TV license fee and stream iPlayer and Dave?  I'd take that over signing up for cable, for sure...
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 10:42:35 PM »
I believe they streamed each episode worldwide for about a week after it aired. Someone deigned to tell me about it after the third episode... didn't want to jump in mid-season, so I guess I'm waiting for the DVDs.

Broomie

• Chief Administrator
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 581
    • https://www.facebook.com/brooomie
    • broomie
    • https://twitter.com/jbroomie/
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/JBroomie
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 06:42:49 AM »
I've yet to see Red Dwarf X but didn't think much of the 'Red Dwarf: Back to Earth' mini series before this one. Heard good things about X though. They've only got the first and 6th episode available to watch on demand at the moment which is a bit annoying so I'll wait until every episode is available on demand or on Netflix.

And I love Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2. Chris Barrie is great in the first one, makes me want to play it again now. I gotta say the second one made me laugh out loud on numerous occasions too. Love the dry wit and humour of the writing.

I tried the 3D one, it was shocking. And don't get me started on the 4th one with American Simon. Haven't played it but not sure I want to.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Portrait Lead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 08:34:26 AM »
The 3D one was absolutely horrendous. I didn't complete it, nothing compelling about it at all.  At least with 2D painted environments, seeing every new screen is a total joy.  Crappy low poly models are not my bag, baby.

Lupin

• Lackey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
BTW, has anyone seen Red Dwarf X?  I don't think it's being aired on PBS here (perhaps video on demand or similar), but I'd love to order the DVD in January if it's awesome...  Why can't we US Americans just pay the UK TV license fee and stream iPlayer and Dave?  I'd take that over signing up for cable, for sure...

We could also argue why can't we have Hulu and other American streaming websites. But then, I think the only reason American's would want BBC iplayer is for Doctor Who, they wouldn't care about anything else. As to answer your question, the new Red Dwarf is fantastic. It is still really funny, the characters get some great character development and it has some fantastic references to the old series.

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 09:28:48 AM »
I tried the 3D one, it was shocking. And don't get me started on the 4th one with American Simon. Haven't played it but not sure I want to.

There's a fourth one? I only just figured out how to get Goblins 4 last weekend! I haven't made it very far into the game yet.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 09:32:49 AM »
Cough....torrents... cough... willing to pay..... cough.... yet roadblocks..... cough....

Bt

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »
...Crappy low poly models are not my bag, baby.

...one book, "3D Graphic Adventure Games, 1998-2002: Crappy low poly models ARE my bag, baby," by Miss Corrigan...

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Portrait Lead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 11:16:21 PM »
...Crappy low poly models are not my bag, baby.

...one book, "3D Graphic Adventure Games, 1998-2002: Crappy low poly models ARE my bag, baby," by Miss Corrigan...

Ok ok, I'll sign the form, just to get things moving.