Author Topic: Demo impressions  (Read 4281 times)

alexkidd

• Recruit
  • Liked: 12
    • View Profile
Demo impressions
« on: June 23, 2013, 07:17:47 AM »
Hi Infamous Quests,

I just came by to add my 2 cents on this good game.

The voice acting:
You took me by surprise. Your actors are wonderful.
Personally I think this is the best collective performance I've ever seen in a game.
I don't know how you did it, maybe you kidnapped all the good voice actors?
Nevermind...

One quibble: quality of recording is inconsistent.

Portraits:
Top notch, looks like the cover art from a famous comic book. Initially I thought it's 'too' flamboyant but over time my opinion has changed. It's full of life & spark and does a great job, spicing up the characters.

The art:
The amount of detail put in the general store was a pleasure to look at!
It reminded me of my youth, playing adventure games.
(Stop at a shop and read the description of 'every' single mysterious object on display. IRL the owner would be annoyed with a guy just standing still, :o gaping at his goods  ;D)
I liked the fishermen's cottage and the Inn looked so pleasant. Did you get an artist who worked at Sierra? This is a genuine question.

That said, I wish the game had a slightly higher resolution. It would benefit the artists too.

The GUI:
I admit this is the least important. But I wish it looked better. A bit of polish perhaps. Not expecting it to be as cool as Gabriel Knight I.

Direction:
I have trouble navigating myself through town. I often find myself asking 'Is that a way?', 'Is there a way?'
For some reason the wilderness is less confusing.

The writing:
Wow. Where have you been? Finally a talented writer taking care of adult gamers, you're a breeze of fresh air!

Roehm:
I like this guy, may he offend many many people throughout his adventure.

So... that's it.
I hope this game will be the beginning of a long and exciting journey.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: Demo impressions
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »
Thanks for your kind words about the demo! I'm very glad you enjoyed it!

To answer your questions and comments!

The Voice Acting - Thanks! We're also very proud of the voice acting, it's not an easy job voicing video games and our people did a fantastic job. As for the recording quality, the demo was more of a "show you the ideas" kind of thing than a polished product, so a lot of work will be going into the post production of the full game than went into the demo.

The Art - I'm sure our artists will be VERY pleased to think that someone thought they used to work for Sierra! They're a talented bunch of people that's for sure. I personally have no idea who drew the fishermans cottage, but Jeremy Kitchen, our art director on QFI did the Inn. (Please correct me if I'm wrong there any team members!) As for the resolution, we like the classic 320x240 look to be honest and it's really a design choice more than anything else.

The GUI - It's had a few changes since the demo.

Direction - Volksville can be a bit confusing in the demo, there's a few extra screens in the final product which make it easier to navigate.

Writing - Thanks! Steven Alexander (BT) my partner in crime in all things Infamous wrote the story and the overwhelming majority of the dialog in the demo. And the full game, although I've got a few bits in the full game too. I'm glad you like it. That's exactly what we were aiming for!

Roehm - He's a right bastard. I love him.

Shawn

"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 11:01:47 AM »
Thanks for your kind words, man, really glad you have enjoyed it so far and looking forward to being able to show people what else we've been working on!

As for the portraits, with the Udo being the first character with a portrait that we meet, I can see how people would be like, woah, too much!  He's intentionally very flamboyant as you say, and it has a lot to do with his backstory and where he's from, but hopefully once people have explored around and met a few more "normal" people they'll realise he's an exception! :)

To clarify a bit on what Shawn said about the background art:  The outside of the inn was painted by Jeremy, he also sketched the interior for that and the fisherman's cabin too, although Fizzii painted up the inn interior, and Ivan painted up the cabin.  They have done some beautiful and genuinely astounding work since they joined the team, all the artists have, and it's been a real pleasure to watch the areas come to life. I'm glad you agree!

Jen
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »
Alexkidd,

In addition to having an awesome forum name (Highly under-rated Sega game series!), I have to thank you for your compliments... seriously.  You definitely flattered me with your compliments about the writing, and I'm really thrilled you enjoyed it!  I can only hope you enjoy the rest of the game as much when it's done!

Stick around - and if you have any questions, ever, I'm always around to talk.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 12:09:19 PM »
I may not be on the team like the others who already posted, but I have to say that your words hit home.  QFI is shaping up to be a real gem and I'm so glad to be a backer and to see some of the development.  You'll definitely not be disappointed.  I can't wait to get my hands on the beta and test the hell out of it.  The artwork is marvelously retro and if you didn't know the people behind it, you WOULD swear that an ex-Sierra employee was working on it.  And BT has some great wit about him and I expect nothing but epic writing throughout the finished product.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

asianmusicguy

• Villain
  • Liked: 16
    • View Profile
    • Crystal Utada
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 02:58:20 PM »
well said
If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.  ~Michael Jackson

alexkidd

• Recruit
  • Liked: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 05:38:27 AM »
@Shawn
"show you the ideas" thing, oh I'm relieved. I can't wait to hear the new voices.
And if you like the classic resolution, that's fine.

@Jen
I think everybody will fall in love with your portraits.

@Bt
Somebody recognizes my name :D
I wanted to talk more about your writing and why I like it but I didn't know where to start.
So I kept is short (I'm no writer after all)

And cheers! Intendant and asianmusicguy  :)

Johann