Author Topic: King's Quest Discussion  (Read 17429 times)

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
Re: King's Quest Discussion
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 10:26:17 AM »
Heh, I was wondering if you were merging creatures an plot ideas from the other two books at least for dinosaur thing. Looks a bit like a "Slok".

See No Weevil was a more 'non-linear' story that worked around a central town hub. Quite a bit takes place in the Town of Daventry for example.

Kingdom of Sorrow on the other hand was a more linear 'journey' akin to King's Quest 5. The town only really appears during one chapter, and he's there all but ten minutes, before he's heading off to the Old Woods. The rest of the story is traveling east into remote wilderness.

The only other possible place of 'civilization' might be the throne room of the woodfaeries where the faery king resides, and sends Graham on his quest to the east.

One would probably have to do a lot of changes though to make a proper adventure game out of the story, and flesh out more puzzles. Because of its very linear nature.

See No Weevil is quite a bit more whimsical in some ways, and probably had more of feel to the A Knight To Remember if anything. With lots of silly things going on, and potential for using the town and castle as central hubs for the puzzles.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 03:58:52 PM »
Heh, I was wondering if you were merging creatures an plot ideas from the other two books at least for dinosaur thing. Looks a bit like a "Slok".

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what we were doing.  The plot we had in mind was a fairly loose adaptation of KOS, with lots of additions we thought would be fun and interesting, including sloks.  One of the gameplay elements that we had planned that would have been interesting was the ability to gain different companion characters, each with their own special ability that could be used like an item to solve certain puzzles.  Kind of like the way Sam uses Max in Hit the Road, except you'd need to have the right companion at the right time to solve certain puzzles.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 04:55:09 PM »
So a bit like the Goat in KQ1?

It's too bad you can't convert it into a non-KQ game, but make it an homage to KQ games (your own take the fractured fairy tale genre)! It does sound like a lot of fun, and if change the names, change the characters (places, peoples, etc), change the graphics bit so you can legally make it. Turn it into a commercial game.

I'd certainly buy it!

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 06:16:22 PM »
It's too bad you can't convert it into a non-KQ game, but make it an homage to KQ games (your own take the fractured fairy tale genre)! It does sound like a lot of fun, and if change the names, change the characters (places, peoples, etc), change the graphics bit so you can legally make it. Turn it into a commercial game.

I'd certainly buy it!

That's basically what Order of the Thorne is.  :)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 06:46:03 PM »
Well yeah and no. There's zero of the plot or story from KOS left in OOTT so it's not so much a conversion to an original setting as it is a new story using a portion of the existing graphical assets.

I'd also suggest it's more a KQ "mood" than a fairy tale game. I certainly didn't think of any specific fairy tales or lore when I was writing the story for it, I just worked out an over-arching plot that worked with the backgrounds I put together into a map. There are fairy's but they don't follow any particular lore or story. I also don't recall any additional companions besides Shaolan the Bard, which was what the ICS was about. Maybe there were more than were never developed further.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 08:37:33 PM »
I also don't recall any additional companions besides Shaolan the Bard, which was what the ICS was about. Maybe there were more than were never developed further.

There was at least one other--the giant character.  Duncan, I think?  Dunstan maybe?  The name was something like that.  His ability was his massive strength--the bard had the ability to charm characters and creatures.  I don't recall if we had more than that, but those two were fully designed from an art and plot standpoint.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 10:30:27 PM »
Dunstan - his artwork was partly designed. There's basic walk cycles and an axe swinging animation. I didn't realise he was going to be another companion character. There was certainly never any coding done that indicated that as the companion GUI was pictures that related to the bard - although the Bard abilities were only partly coded. That basics were there and I think it was implemented for one or two situations, probably to test things.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2015, 01:53:45 PM »
Shaolan the Bard

I think that's Shallan. But you know the world could use more kung fu, or ninja adventure games.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
Shaolin the Bard is a game I'd play the crap out of.

Bt

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 02:10:24 AM »
Shaolin the Bard is a game I'd play the crap out of.

Bt

Yes please make that game! Can he be a practitioner of the drunken monkey fist style? Could be a lot of humor in that! Like I say the world needs more kung fu adventure games, or even RPGs!