Author Topic: [Rogue] I need help with the chesspiece puzzle!  (Read 5925 times)

deepsixed

[Rogue] I need help with the chesspiece puzzle!
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »
Hey gang!
I am trying to do this game with no hints, and I am at the chesspiece puzzle thing at the bottom of the well. I've never taken any joy in solving these kinds of puzzles in adventure games, so I'm asking you. I've been trying to figure it out for the last 2 hours. I understand that there is supposedly a hint
Spoiler (hover to show)
but I.. can't find it?
Is there anyone who can just tell me what to do? thanks!
I am LOVING this game so far.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: [Rogue] I need help with the chesspiece puzzle!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »
Talk to Jovan and Garyeth about Centai Puzzles.  You should get a book. If the puzzle isn't to your liking, trying using the book on the pedestal.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

deepsixed

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 12:42:22 PM »
Hey thank you very much!
The problem is that I am not getting the dialogue option to ask about the puzzles. Is there something I should have done first?

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [Rogue] I need help with the chesspiece puzzle!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 02:03:51 PM »
Hey thank you very much!
The problem is that I am not getting the dialogue option to ask about the puzzles. Is there something I should have done first?

Try playing the peg game once and quitting.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

deepsixed

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 07:57:41 AM »
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, I am LOVING the game :)

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »
As a general hint for peg puzzles in all contexts, you need to consider the geometry of the puzzle and how it changes when you make moves. For example, the triangular puzzle has three central pegs surrounded by a row of pegs on the edge of the puzzle. You may notice that you can never jump an edge peg over another edge peg and land in the center. Therefore, if you have two central pegs and jump one over the other, you'll land on the edge and the center will be forever empty! You can only preserve those central pegs by jumping edge pegs over them and into the empty spaces in the center. This is true for peg-jumping games of all shapes and sizes, and is vital to keep in mind as you formulate your solutions.

Dutchman

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »
Hah, I didn't even know there was a get out of jail free card for this. I just kept going at it for 10 minutes. Nifty little puzzle :)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [Rogue] I need help with the chesspiece puzzle!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
As a general hint for peg puzzles in all contexts, you need to consider the geometry of the puzzle and how it changes when you make moves. For example, the triangular puzzle has three central pegs surrounded by a row of pegs on the edge of the puzzle. You may notice that you can never jump an edge peg over another edge peg and land in the center. Therefore, if you have two central pegs and jump one over the other, you'll land on the edge and the center will be forever empty! You can only preserve those central pegs by jumping edge pegs over them and into the empty spaces in the center. This is true for peg-jumping games of all shapes and sizes, and is vital to keep in mind as you formulate your solutions.

Stop being so smart.  :o

Bt

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: [Rogue] I need help with the chesspiece puzzle!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 08:43:16 PM »
being so smart.  :o

Bt

No sliding puzzle or Rubik's Cube hints, got it.