Author Topic: MMO's what is your take?  (Read 5533 times)

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
MMO's what is your take?
« on: September 26, 2012, 05:29:46 AM »
      So what is your take on multi-player online games?

The very first online real time strategy game i played was Was Warcraft and Warcraft 2 via a service called Kali, which tricked the game into thinking it was being played on a BBS.  This was back in 95 i beleive and i payed like 20 bucks for it.  It was very cool to play WC with folks from all over the world literally. 

Todays games like WOW are neat but expensive.  Granted i still play on Battlenet for free, but im turned off on the games that i have to buy in the store and pay a monthy fee.  Diablo Rules tho.

Thoughts and oppions anyone??????

Chadly/
**********Chadly*********************

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: MMO's what is your take?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 06:31:23 AM »
Firstly, Diablo 3 is crap. It rules for the first 10 hours then it sucks donkey balls.

Although I understand people's objection to paying for a game like WoW, I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. I know that any bug in WoW will be fixed promptly, I know that once a lot of the content is done, Blizzard will release more things to do. A lot of the new dungeons and content areas are brought out without having to buy an expansion every two minutes. And I know that a lot of 12 year olds aren't playing the game and pissing me off with their bullshit pretending to be adults shit because they can't afford to play it.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 06:51:15 AM »
Well i agree Klytos.  I am definately not 12 years old. ha.  Wow has had i beleive 3 or four expansion packs since it's inception.  Still I find playing on Battlenet fun, except for player killers.  I have spent a fortune on Wow monthly cards and havent played for some time... :)
**********Chadly*********************

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 07:40:16 AM »
I'm one of those gamers who cringes every time multiplayer features of any kind are added to single-player games that I like (Assassin's Creed series, cough cough), so naturally, I've never ventured into the MMO genre.  Getting The Old Republic instead of KOTOR 3 was one of the worst nut-kicks I can think of in recent gaming memory.  Down with MMOs!
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 07:47:49 AM »
Eh, MMOs are fun in theory, but I'm of the opinion that almost 90% of just sucks.  At least 90% of the people who meet in online games.  The other 10% are mad cool, but having to deal with those dickheads just sucks.

Even worse?  Playing online on X-Box.  The kind of insults, racial slurs and other flaming vulgarity used by 12 year olds in there is staggering.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

DrSlash

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 727
    • buckazoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »
Getting The Old Republic instead of KOTOR 3 was one of the worst nut-kicks I can think of in recent gaming memory.
Quoted for truth.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests".

Jerminator

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:03:56 AM »
I enjoy playing with my friends online, although I haven't messed with WoW at all, I definitely have nothing against the games in general. Most decent games that try to include multiplayer fail.

It's becoming more and more expected from gaming companies now to always have some sort of multiplayer included because the functionality is obviously there be it computer or console. Games that are created with only co-op or multiplayer in mind tend to be the better ones.

Monster

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 11:04:38 AM »
MMOs aren't all bad.

I got caught up playing Star Wars Galaxies for a couple of years.  That was a great game.  It was a huge sandbox with a non-combat game at least as in depth as the combat game.  I loved Beast Mastery (I was chosen to represent the player community in the Galactic Senate), Entertaining, Crafting, and more.  It was loads of fun, and I miss it still.  But in other ways I am glad it's gone.  For example, it ate a lot of my time and money.  It also spoiled me for other games.  I keep expecting other games to live up to the wealth of game play options offered in SWG, which ran for 8 years.

If the right MMO came around, I'd play it.  The chances of that happening again, however, are slim.

Other games with online play can be fun, but ultimately it's the single player experience I enjoy the most.  Games are so much more immersive that way.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 11:22:59 AM »
I've been playing MMOs since Dark Age of Camelot.  I've experienced Final Fantasy XI, World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, The Old Republic, The Secret World, and a few others that I can't rightfully remember off the top of my head.  Some are good and others I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot polearm anymore (I'm looking at you, STO and CO).  The one main reason for me to check out an MMO is that friends are playing it.  If they aren't, then the game needs to have a damn good hook to get me interested.

I prefer the single-player experience, but still enjoy playing with others online from time to time.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 05:18:47 PM »
Well, anyone who saw my segment of the "meet the team" vid will know I'm an MMORPG geek!  I'm up to 8 straight years playing WoW now I think, although I stepped down from my guild master role this year to concentrate on my studies and career.  Our guild pretty much fell apart a few months later, people stopped logging on because it wasn't that likely that anyone else would be around, where previously there'd be a full house every night.  That's not all down to me of course, but it's a domino effect I guess! 

The game has been getting dumbed down with every major patch and expansion, to appeal to a wider and wider market, which makes sense from a business perspective.  Just sad for all the people who remember how fun and challenging it used to be.  Most people just log to see friends they would lose touch with otherwise. 

Bottom line, you need to have long term free time to commit to an MMORPG like WoW and get the full experience.  The moment you drop the ball, it's all over.  Point and click adventures?  I just reload a saved game :)
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"