Author Topic: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.  (Read 153380 times)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2015, 12:03:45 AM »
King's Quest has never been about the story.  People who say that are just using "story" as a catch-all term because they can't figure out how to articulate what they actually mean.  I think most people who talk about the "story" in the old King's Quest games drawing them in are really talking about the experience as a whole, which was always far more focused on exploring the world and uncovering puzzles to solve (and then solving them to move on to new areas and puzzles.)  The thing I worry most about with this game is that it's going to be TOO story focused, without enough of the exploration and open-ended puzzle-solving that made the old games the memorable experiences they were.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2015, 01:15:03 AM »
I agree completely Lamb that it has never been about the story. The problem is certain fans have convinced themselves that is where the magic lies. They constantly talk about "canon" and want to defend the story of Kings Quest like a fundi wants to defend the bible. Have a look at some of the stupid debates they get into over royal family lineage etc (was way more of this 10 years ago). The magic for me was never the story and was the immersion.

I did have slightly more hope for the series when I read that Ken and Roberta gave the director the following advice "They used to have this pyramid that was those three things—can’t be too much story, the interactive novel type of thing, it all needs to work together"

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »
idk anyone who has played esp the early series should know the model

story is about 15-20%  yea made up the numbers
anyone play KQ1 or KQ2  i mean its just a bunch of short stories all smashed into puzzles lol
later the story tried to drive the game in say mask of..
but that failed due to well.. many things but imo it was just to early for its time, engine wise, had it been just idk 3 years later the game woulda looked and ran solid but.. sierra would not have been the same soo either way.

but kq about story?
never,  about many things yes..
im confused who would think its a pure story based game, not sure any sierra games were minus, a few sierra series, and even then its never a 100% story driven model ever..
i cant waiiit for the new stuffs whoop

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2015, 10:39:38 AM »
hehe odd thought from story driven side

mario bros on nes, the platform original (not the arcade bumper but)

this game is pure platform with 1% story, finding the princess
over the years the game curved heavily towards story, but still, if you look the only pure story driven mario imo is mario rpg on snes, most others are just fractions of story, then huge puzzles or situations to solve and then pure platforming,

hell even zelda in this term isnt story driven, but more so than the kq series, shrug
ive had the talk about mario and zelda not being to story driven before some dont agree its ok, but this made me think of that

i still remember kq1 and 2 and how it was all over the map, as a kid i talked to roberta she just wanted some of all the best fairy tales put in one box, never knew it would smack as a hit ever!
lol
fun fact

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2015, 07:42:17 PM »
Have people been following the "behind the scenes" series at http://blog.theoddgentlemen.com/

Most of what I have seen so far looks pretty impressive. Am guessing this project had a fairly healthy budget

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2015, 08:46:15 PM »
So far, literally everything they have shown us has been all flash and no substance.  We still have not seen what the actual gameplay looks like, what the interface looks like, what puzzles look like, etc.  The whole marketing campaign stinks of classic "lipstick on a pig" syndrome.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2015, 10:33:57 PM »
Yeah, heh, they have spent not only millions in development. but also millions on promotional material.  It's nice to work with budgets from a real company, I bet!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2015, 10:45:30 PM »
So far, literally everything they have shown us has been all flash and no substance.  We still have not seen what the actual gameplay looks like, what the interface looks like, what puzzles look like, etc.  The whole marketing campaign stinks of classic "lipstick on a pig" syndrome.

True we haven't seen the substance, so all I can say at the moment is it looks like a killer shade of lipstick!

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2015, 11:43:43 PM »
Haha...touche.

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2015, 03:43:33 AM »
@rugged True we haven't seen the substance, so all I can say at the moment is it looks like a killer shade of lipstick!
Lipstick on a pig is Still a Pig! ;D       I Like Bacon.

Chadly.
**********Chadly*********************

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2015, 09:49:08 AM »
I think we can guess what the interface will be.  They have gone as far as to saying it isn't a point and click game, and then they backtracked a little from there.  The game is being made for consoles.  That much is easy to tell.  I am guessing because of the controller, you will  move easily with analog stick (translated to a keyboard/mouse could be telltale style or traditional keyboard movement) and then each button will dictate some kind of action.  I am guessing there will be one primary action but no way to know for sure.  I think it will feel a lot like grim fandango.  The issue becomes when they translate the console controls to keyboards, they don't tend to work as well.  The new grim fandango suffered quite a bit when they added the point and click interface as you missed quite a bit of things due to the game mechanics having been designed for something else.  The subtle head turns in grim fandango worked extremely well with tank controls but were completely lost in point and click which led to many puzzles being difficult to solve (burning the beavers, moving the ashtray, to name a couple).  I experienced this first hand as I never played the original version of the game.  I had to consult a walkthrough even though I knew the solution, and in the case of the beavers, I still had difficulty completing the puzzle even after seeing it done on a youtube video.  Long story short, I will buy it for my xbox as I would rather play it as it was designed to be played.

The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2015, 03:41:27 PM »
nope wont be anything like telltale, its going to be a platformer, think, trine + kings quest. the name is all that will exist

as for story, idk
ive talked to roberta about this, doesnt make sense,
kq1 and kq2 were just a bunch of mini stories from kids tales etc, that just led into puzzles, was it about story, no
did it become about story eventually yes!
but is it a story based game no no

go get LIFE IS STRANGE, and pray telltale learns from square on that game, it rocks hard
my bottom line?
i wont be buying this game, ill play it to be sure, but buy a console ver of a point and click which is vastly devoid of its original creator and intent, ill pass. esp since i dont like platform games, unlessss
it was KQ IN SPACE and u fly a ship like raidenX or something rtype zaxxon style

:)

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2015, 04:04:25 AM »
I really like this quote
"Meanwhile, the game itself is very open. Like the first game, it's set in a big, open forest for players to explore, and the way this is tackled also has an impact.

"The order in which you solve puzzles and the decisions about how you solve that puzzle really changes the story,"

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/feature/a648183/how-player-choice-is-at-the-heart-of-the-new-kings-quest.html#ixzz3btCjdtIc

I have many problems with the Telltale style, but maybe the biggest is the world never feels very open.

nope wont be anything like telltale, its going to be a platformer, think, trine + kings quest. the name is all that will exist

Not sure if you are joking but I don't think any of the press has made the game sound like a platformer. The jury is still out on whether it will be what a traditionalist would deem an adventure game

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2015, 04:37:08 AM »
People are assuming a hell of a lot about this game.

My two cents worth: Classic adventure game fans aren't the target demographic for this because, as anyone who frequents those forums knows, nobody there actually likes anything to do with adventure games that has come out since 1992.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2015, 04:45:28 AM »
People are assuming a hell of a lot about this game.

My two cents worth: Classic adventure game fans aren't the target demographic for this because, as anyone who frequents those forums knows, nobody there actually likes anything to do with adventure games that has come out since 1992.

I agree that they are clearly looking for a wider audience then the classic adventure fan. But it is also pretty obvious that they are at least attempting to make a game that will appeal to fans of the original series. Heck I was expecting to be extremely let down by the game but the more I see and read the more I have reason for hope. Of course we won't know till the release...