Author Topic: Funny, I don't remember...  (Read 5329 times)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Funny, I don't remember...
« on: December 12, 2018, 09:39:28 PM »
...Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 looking all that bad.

Must be the rose-colored glasses of my old age!

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: Funny, I don't remember...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 05:42:14 AM »
Pacman on the 2600 is horrible!
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 08:01:03 AM »
Hah, that's not even the version of Pac Man we all grew up with on the 2600.  It was like this - the maze was different than the arcade version; the "tunnels" were on the top and bottom, instead of the sides!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 08:33:57 AM »
Hah, that's not even the version of Pac Man we all grew up with on the 2600.  It was like this - the maze was different than the arcade version; the "tunnels" were on the top and bottom, instead of the sides!

Oh, yes; I'm well aware of the actual debacle...   ;)

Over the last few years, however, I wondered what the Arcade Game would look like using the Atari 2600 graphics.  So, I made this mock-up over the last day or two!   :D

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 09:06:56 AM »
Hah, I didn't realize you made the mock up.  I know somebody actually DID go back and make an alternate Pac Man using the 2600 hardware.  It's more like the arcade.   

Bt

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »
Hah, I didn't realize you made the mock up.  I know somebody actually DID go back and make an alternate Pac Man using the 2600 hardware.  It's more like the arcade.   

Yes, I remember seeing a homebrew version more faithful to the arcade, but despite the OVERWHLEMING flaws, I think the original does have a certain charm...

(Since we had the Intellivision, we never had much access to the 2600; the only time we got to play it was at friends' houses, parents' friends' houses, or the display model at local electronics/department stores...)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 02:15:59 PM »
Unpopular opinion: Pac-man itself, every version, is kind of shit.  It's a shit game.  I'm not a fan.

It was addictive and replayable in much the same way as I'm sure spinning an old tire frame with a stick used to be addictive and replayable.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 04:09:45 PM »
Don't you DARE say a darn thing about trying to catch a ball -- which is attached to a string, which is attached to a stick -- in a cup -- which ALSO happens to be attached to said stick...

Them's fightin' words!   >:(

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 11:20:48 AM »
I love Pac Man. I'll still pump quarters into the old cocktail version of it sitting in the corner of an ancient Pizza Hut!!

Bt

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 06:01:17 PM »
Some of my earliest memories of gaming on a computer was Ms. Pac-Man on our Tandy 1000. We had regular Pac-Man too but I preferred Ms. Pac-Man for the graphics, I believe.

HOWEVER, you still can't beat the TRS-80 game of "Poltergeist" for its at home arcade shock-value.  At the time.  Which was 1980.  And, its platform was a TRS-80.  In 1980.  And, the game -- a cartridge, FFS -- was really expensive.  In 1980.

LOLOLOL.  In 1980.

My memories also include a Color Computer 3 (TRS-80 equivalent), which I still have. I also still have all the floppies, cassettes, and cartridges for it. Poltergeist is one of them. I remember the game vividly, too. I was always confused about what to do. It never made any sense to me so I never played it. I still don't know what the graphics are supposed to represent to this day.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 11:08:11 PM »
My memories also include a Color Computer 3 (TRS-80 equivalent), which I still have. I also still have all the floppies, cassettes, and cartridges for it. Poltergeist is one of them. I remember the game vividly, too. I was always confused about what to do. It never made any sense to me so I never played it. I still don't know what the graphics are supposed to represent to this day.

We had a Color Computer 1 from the early '80s until we finally got our first PC Clone in 1989.  Sadly, we sold it and all of the accessories (printer, disk drive, cassette drive, ROM packs) to someone my dad worked with.

They had some great "knock-off" arcade games for that machine, especially one for Donkey Kong.  The game came on cassette, so to make < ahem > a "back-up" copy, you put it in a dual-cassette deck and recorded the audio data "screeches" to a new cassette.

My uncle had an original Color Computer with 4k of RAM...  I remember he was so happy when he got a new chip to upgrade it to 16k RAM -- he had to de-solder and remove the old chip, then solder in the new one.