Author Topic: Universal Hint System  (Read 4957 times)

nameless

• Forever At The Bottom of the Totem Pole
  • Villain
  • Liked: 54
    • View Profile
Universal Hint System
« on: April 16, 2017, 03:13:01 PM »
I downloaded the latest version 6.1 on a trial basis. It shows very little of any game UHS file. It seems as if nobody, except the UHS site, has any information. And there doesn't seem to be any generic program to open a uhs file.

I sent an email to them inquiring about maybe a bank transfer.

Does anyone know of an alternate method to read uhs files instead of the uhs reader?
Lynda Carter, Wonder Woman, once sent me autographed photos that put me on cloud nine. The photos are on my living room wall.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Re: Universal Hint System
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 09:35:45 PM »
I downloaded the latest version 6.1 on a trial basis. It shows very little of any game UHS file. It seems as if nobody, except the UHS site, has any information. And there doesn't seem to be any generic program to open a uhs file.

I sent an email to them inquiring about maybe a bank transfer.

Does anyone know of an alternate method to read uhs files instead of the uhs reader?

Heh.  I remember the old DOS version of this program from the BBS days in the early 1990s...

Looking at the Wiki page for the UHS, there is mention of an Open Source UHS reader:

http://freecode.com/projects/openuhs/

The last update to that program appears to be version 0.6.6, released on Feb 18, 2012.

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:24:38 PM »
Loved UHS. Plenty of just simple hints before any giveaways. It's a shame people go straight to the walkthrough and don't want to think anymore.

nameless

• Forever At The Bottom of the Totem Pole
  • Villain
  • Liked: 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 07:39:46 PM »
Loved UHS. Plenty of just simple hints before any giveaways. It's a shame people go straight to the walkthrough and don't want to think anymore.

Jumping G Hos****t
open uhs actually works

mega tnx Goatmeal
Lynda Carter, Wonder Woman, once sent me autographed photos that put me on cloud nine. The photos are on my living room wall.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:04:52 PM »

Jumping G Hos****t
open uhs actually works

mega tnx Goatmeal

Happy to help.  I'm glad it works for you.

(I just might try it for myself!)