Author Topic: QFI 2?  (Read 18758 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: QFI 2?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 07:56:50 AM »
Haha, I got it and thought it was funny.  It's just the kind of subversive thing I would do.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 07:59:44 AM »
Haha, I got it and thought it was funny.  It's just the kind of subversive thing I would do.

If you can't mess with you fans, who can you mess with?

Non-fans and everyone else won't care either way!

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 06:26:13 PM »
Guess it wasn't so clever in retrospect.  :-\  I blame lack of sleep on my part.  :o

No, no, it was quite clever. I was just making fun of the fact that IA's most recent release was a remake of Space Quest II. Which, incidentally, is the second biggest obstacle to my doing a Let's Play series of Space Quest fangames. There are a bunch of them out there, and some of them are really good, but it wouldn't be complete without the SQII remake, and it might be a bit less interesting for people who watched my LP of the original to see most of the same puzzles again, even though the remake is different in plenty of ways.

The biggest obstacle, of course, is that I'm lazy, which really trumps any other concern if you think about it.

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »
I totally got it, Goatmeal.  Beat the pants off my lame ass time travel joke  :P

Nidoking, do it!

Think of it as QFI promotion... folks may come to IA from your SQII LP series (link conveniently posted with each installment), discover KQIII, enter the forums and start begging for KQ:KoS, just to be told... "Hey!  Excited?  So are we... have you heard about this *new* awesome project, built from much of the same team?  Well... try this demo!  The Paypal is over here..."

Also, I would watch them.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 08:19:19 PM »
Think of it as QFI promotion... folks may come to IA from your SQII LP series (link conveniently posted with each installment), discover KQIII, enter the forums and start begging for KQ:KoS, just to be told... "Hey!  Excited?  So are we... have you heard about this *new* awesome project, built from much of the same team?  Well... try this demo!  The Paypal is over here..."

Well, I do my Let's Plays for the Something Awful forum, and they probably wouldn't look too kindly if I treated it too much like a marketing venue, but I know I put the link to IA in the credits of the original Space Quest series LP (in which I played the Space Quest for Glory demo as a bonus feature), and I'd certainly post a link in the new thread when I got to SQII VGA. I'd also mention QFI as your latest project and link to the website, but I think I'd have to leave the logical leap of finding the Paypal button and making a donation to the reader's imagination for propriety reasons. I also doubt I'd get to it for a while - I think I'd do the earlier fan games first, because most of them are pretty bad and I want to save the good ones for later. Nothing like following SQII VGA with The Lost Chapter and then The Voyage Home.

EDIT: Oh, I see... you mean they'd see that on the IA forums. Yes, that would work nicely.

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2012, 05:33:55 AM »
EDIT: Oh, I see... you mean they'd see that on the IA forums. Yes, that would work nicely.

Precisely;  as you say, it's a bit of a leap of faith that IA forum denizens will 1) be active, 2) have LP viewers come who clicked the link, and 3) actively engage the odd LP link clicker.  If it brings anyone, however, then that's just a bonus for something you've said you wanted to eventually get around to doing anyway.  Also (since I've got no other juice for my argument) I'd certainly watch them, and probably enjoy them quite a bit as well  :) Yours are good, and I love Sierra game LP's in general, so double bonus.

You've referred to QFI as "your latest project" as though it were somehow my project more than another backer's... was that colloquial or intentional?  I'd love it if folks here randomly began believing I was part of the team  ;)

Also, I'm fully aware of SA members' unwillingness to be gamed as such.  They can be quite nasty when provoked, and I want nothing to do with that wrath.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 09:11:45 AM »
You've referred to QFI as "your latest project" as though it were somehow my project more than another backer's... was that colloquial or intentional?  I'd love it if folks here randomly began believing I was part of the team  ;)

I was just confused. Regardless, it's something I'd like to do if I ever get the time and the motivation. The problem, like I said, would be slogging through some of the rather terrible fan games to get to the fun ones, and I don't think I can do those when there are still so many good games on my list. I guess I could play through them individually and just skip the bad ones, but then there would be even less reason for me to play through the SQII remake, since again, everyone already knows the story and has seen most of the content in another form.

But I think that's a bit off the topic of a QFI sequel, so I'll leave my own plans intentionally nebulous and just remind everyone to keep your endgame save on a floppy in a place you'll be able to find it. I know where all of my QFG characters are... do you?

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 04:46:13 PM »
But I think that's a bit off the topic of a QFI sequel, so I'll leave my own plans intentionally nebulous and just remind everyone to keep your endgame save on a floppy in a place you'll be able to find it. I know where all of my QFG characters are... do you?

Yep.  All 4 character type saves for QFG2-QFG4 (and 3 for QFG1, of course) from 1992-1995, safely packed away in a ZIP file from 1995 that has migrated from computer to computer, and from floppy disk to CD-R to back-up HD to flash drive.   ;)

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 01:21:51 AM »
But I think that's a bit off the topic of a QFI sequel

Quite right, nidoking!  Mea culpa.

I know where all of my QFG characters are... do you?

Alas... all my DOS game information is lost.  It migrated all the way to backup hard drives, and in a double failure back in '07, I had a portable USB hard drive and a laptop drive go out simultaneously.  I have a disk image saved of the very damaged laptop drive data, and some day I intend to try to analyze it and save out some stuff, but that 30GB is now kicking around on my bigger, redundant backup drives, waiting as my save-game data once did...