Author Topic: Odd Gentlemen's "King's Quest" teaser  (Read 25101 times)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Odd Gentlemen's "King's Quest" teaser
« on: December 06, 2014, 02:19:23 PM »
Sierra and Odd Gentlemen show off new King's Quest at The Game Awards
     http://www.destructoid.com/sierra-and-odd-gentlemen-show-off-new-king-s-quest-at-the-game-awards-284650.phtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4aACEy-9rSU

Wow.  An action platformer with a bullet-time Graham?  In the words of the Emperor, "Let the hate flow through you..."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Gentlemen's "King's Quest" teaser
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 02:59:14 PM »
wt... woah? lets see how this works out, looks neat but, platformer? really?
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 03:02:02 PM »
As someone in one of the Sierra Facebook groups said, it is an odd choice as "adventure gamers don't want a platformer, and platformer fans don't give a rats ass about kings quest". I agree. And they already tried to add action to KQ in MoE and we know how well that worked out.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »
As someone in one of the Sierra Facebook groups said, it is an odd choice as "adventure gamers don't want a platformer, and platformer fans don't give a rats ass about kings quest". I agree. And they already tried to add action to KQ in MoE and we know how well that worked out.

And what about that aborted "Space Quest 3D" platformer game from a while back?

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 03:24:28 PM »
kq platform= "sorry but your princess is in another castle graham!" lol

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 06:13:14 PM »
I'm guessing we'll see very little actual gameplay in the coming year before release.  This project is about one thing: Activision cashing in on the Sierra name.  This is a cash grab looking to dupe the more dimwitted of King's Quest fans into a quick sale based on the name and nostalgia.  The game is likely much more geared towards the audience that made games like The Cave and Brothers successful (neither of which are adventure games.)  Mark my words: they're going to be as vague as possible about the gameplay so as not to turn away potential customers.  They're going to push this as a "new age" adventure game, even though it's clearly not, and idiot fans are going to lap it up like Christmas gravy.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »
I only have one thing to say to that! I love groupX man classic, this is the extended with water lvl song! :) (and poo and a toilet! KQ YOU GO THERE!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_trSgNKXl-E#t=100

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 01:00:07 PM »
The trailer reminded me a lot of Zelda. I love Zelda, and I love KQ. I will likely buy it. I hope to enjoy it for whatever type of game it turns out to be. I am clearly not expecting an adventure game though.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

nameless

• Forever At The Bottom of the Totem Pole
  • Villain
  • Liked: 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 01:10:28 PM »
I'll probably try it. KQV was the first game ever that I played. But you know, I feel that the developers are trying the same thing that's being tried with WOW. The keep coming out with new versions and addons, seeming desperately to try and keep the game alive, not unlike virtual stem cell technology. If I could, I would gladly buy the WOW franchise, then erase that game from history, and bring law suit with anyone having it on any game site.
Lynda Carter, Wonder Woman, once sent me autographed photos that put me on cloud nine. The photos are on my living room wall.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
kq5 was your first game ever or first kq game? hard to believe its a first game ever! but no way am i buying into this pile o dung sorry, this platform console kid mentality bs has to go out the window and the more that buy it the less likely that is to happen. :( as for WOW, I am sooo with you, wish we could buy it out and burn it all down, some here love WOW but me.. grr waves fist, ruins lives, huge chat room of idiots, only fun with people you trust and know, and thats rare, pvp got fun for a bit but man, that game needs to vanish and all games by blizzard poof goo awayyy :)

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 329
  • You can't do that; at least not now.
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 10:43:51 PM »
I liked the look of it, and the sound of it.
The Odd Gentleman at the VGAs looked genuinely honoured and humble at the possibility of doing this project and Ken and Roberta seemed to give their blessing so I'm gonna give it my full open mind.
Gotta be better than MOE anyway.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a Narrator, and I ride and I ride.

DosboxLetsPlay

• Villain
  • Liked: 72
  • Hero of Gloriana
    • DosboxLetsPlay
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/dosboxletsplay
    • View Profile
  • Favorite Game: Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 01:30:27 AM »
Well, the trailer looked so and so in my opinion. While I do believe that The Odd Gentleman aims to do the best game they can, we can't forget that the strings are ultimately being pulled by Activision. So I'm afraid that I have to agree with Mr. Lamb on this one. :/
"Ha ha! Little graveyard humor there!"

Brainiac

• Lackey
  • Liked: 58
  • Game Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 10:12:10 AM »
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this reveal, but the honoring of Ken and Roberta Williams at The Game Awards (where they premiered the trailer) was fairly respectful, I think.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2NMpK2Rnks" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2NMpK2Rnks</a>
There is balance in all things. Live in symmetry with the world around you. If you must blow things up and steal from those around you, THAT'S WHAT RPGS ARE FOR!

Official Member of the VGL Street Team

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 10:26:03 AM »
I do agree, however, I believe if they had not been there, the nostalgia of it all for hard core fans would be 100% gone.
This was imo a ploy to lure people into thinking they had anything to do with this game (they dont and didnt)

they didnt work on the game, they didnt write it, nothing.

So imo again its nice they showed up but it seems more like they had to do it or the game might not have had this kind of reception as if the creators are involved somehow

you would be shocked to know many think they are involved with making the game! Sigh
I stand by my comment, I wont buy this game, nor illegally dl it. Its made for the console gen, not us old classic gamers. While it does look pretty, it looks terrible in how its done and what it came to from where it was.

To pitch this as KQ is a sin, imo. Maybe something like grahams adventures in space n time or something
to make it known its a pure platform non adventure game that resembles a hand drawn TRINE game.. ahh

sigh
last time i saw them on a podium it was announcing the merger and ahh that was a bad one too. Trust me I got the same vibe from them here, as I did at that merger. Kinda Uhhh hope this works
for the merger we all know that went poorly and they didnt know it would happen that way, they just wanted to grow as sierra got bigger.
Same with this game KQ console pos. They are putting all the eggs they have left in this, by even showing up.
Idk, hope it works out, and knowing the console kids, since its a platform, it prolly WONT,
as the die hard fans will buy it but then go... wtf is this its not kq!
kids that play platform games all the time will just think its another fable type game only with no rpg
again Ill point out TRINE, only a bit more enhanced. To many out there to choose from.

So yea. hope it works out for them. either way I DONT think they should have showed up for this.
to many think they made the game, or had anything to do with it.. sigh.. this makes me kinda ill.
BTW ken and roberta are looking goooood

ken still needs to shave that thing, I used to tell him that alot, he went beardy for a while too lol
aww I miss them soo much its nice to see them looking so happy.
I would be too after generations of nothing then oo our game is remembered

OF COURSE it is! we will always love you! dont make this poop pleeeeeeease make a real kq
no ooooo

:(

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 11:48:02 AM »
A few things....

I love adventure games.  They will always hold a special place for me as they were the games I grew up with.  But, at the same time I was playing KQ, SQ, QFG, etc, I also had a NES and a SEGA Genesis.  I played console games and loved them too.  I am a gamer.  I love games.  The notion that because a game is made for a console and the "console generation" means that the game isn't worth playing seems extremely short sided.  Just because the game isn't being made for adventure game purists, does not mean it can't or wont be good.  It doesn't mean it will be good either.  There are many bad adventure games.  There are many bad console games.  I personally like good games, regardless of genre.  If they make a good game in the KQ universe that tells the KQ story, then great.  I would rather have that than a Tell-Tale style interactive movie masked with an "adventure game" label.  If KQ gets revived as something different than what it was, it doesn't have to be a bad thing.  If people play it and love it and it causes them to go back and see the inspiration by playing the old games that would be amazing too.  I hate that people have already judged the game before it has even been played.  To me, that is the worst thing I am seeing now that the trailer has been released.