Author Topic: Odd Gentlemen's "King's Quest" teaser  (Read 25095 times)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Gentlemen's "King's Quest" teaser
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 12:24:44 PM »
It's the Phantom Menace effect.

People's anticipation and expectations have been built up so high for so long that it won't matter whether the game is a "true KQ" adventure game or a good video game or a fun/diversionary game or simply a bad game; it just won't be what they had in their mind the game SHOULD have been...

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »
I went on several no-holds-barred rants about it last night in various forums.  I feel a little like a college girl who wakes up in an unfamiliar bedroom after a night of wild partying.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »
For me, I have no expectations.  I really will play it for what it is.  I just hope it is a good game that takes more than 2 hours to play.  I am not engaging in any of the conversations really because there is no point to it whatsoever.  I feel bad for The Odd Gentlemen.  They are in a no win situation. 

The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »
I feel bad for The Odd Gentlemen.  They are in a no win situation.

To be completely fair, they could have avoided some of this blowback if they had shown anything that resembles traditional adventure game mechanics in their trailer.  A conversation, a clear instance of puzzle solving, etc.  Someone on FB said it very well: If this is an adventure game trailer, then it's the worst adventure game trailer I've ever seen.  haha

I was looking at other trailers on youtube of some of the classic vs. contemporary adventure games.  A lot of them do focus on the action bits and cutscenes.  The problem here, I think, is the sections that are obviously gameplay sections don't look anything like adventure gameplay.  Narrow, straight-line paths with gaps that you jump over.  I mean, if they wanted it to look like an adventure game, they've shown about the furthest thing from it.

The only way it could have been worse is if they had a first-person shot looking down the point of the arrow as Graham aimed the bow.  ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »
Have they actually promoted it ad an adventure game?  I honestly have not followed it very much at all.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 03:12:11 PM »
I agree to a point chuklas
but really?
I mean, this isnt an adventure, dont call it KQ and think roberta had ANYTHING to do with it is what im saying.
most think they do.

And not to toss names (so I wont) but someone at pheonix online studios had a team, pretty large one making kq Silver lining, and no not the one thats available for dl, it was a WHOLE different team which the person I wont mention, kinda fired everyone and let the ip go to activision.
Then the writer for that game, made "it takes two to tangle" in web book format
THEN guess who had the IP allowed to be used to make the game and even made a playable demo?
TELLTALE GAMES  yep kim lyons helped and pitched it, roberta loved kims work, and telltale indeed already storyboarded 2 episodes and made a video and mini play demo which activision DID NOT like at all, so they asked TTG to give them the rights to make this petty platform game
Stole back the IP usage even though roberta liked the TTG version most of all vs the mask of eternity sequel platform game. Bottom line, activision has cut the legs off of 5 companies that I know of and 2 which I worked with, its just as bad as what george did when he said no to sam n max 2 or anything other than star wars.. then turned around to sell it to disney later. Really? dont judge a game before it comes out? I think in some cases one can do that.

Take ubisoft games, I can tell you 99% of it is crap, i dont need it to come out first.
as for the telltale woes

blam right from wiki hope you take this to heart as the game was GREEN LIT and GO TEAM GO, they started making the game! then BLAM no sorry urmm thats not going to sell as we want it to buh bye TTG and kim lyons

In addition, Silicon Knights worked on a prototype for a King's Quest game at some point before Telltale Games acquired the rights. This information was released to the public through documents on the Silicon Knights suit against Epic Games.[11]

On February 17, 2011, Telltale Games announced that they reached an agreement with Activision to create new episodic games based on Sierra franchises.[12] The first Sierra intellectual property they intended to work on was King’s Quest.[13] The game was to follow the format of previous Telltale Games series such as Tales of Monkey Island, as a continuation of the series with all new episodic games and multiple series.[14][15] It was intended to preserve the back story of King's Quest, and fit into the established canon. It was intended to include the challenge and possibilities of death of the original games, but the gameplay was going to be adapted to relieve some of the frustration present in the original games.[15] Telltale approached Roberta Williams, the originator of the series, and one of the designers on all of the original games, to see if she was interested in working on the new one. While she declined by saying she had retired from games, she did offer the development team advice, which was "very valuable," according to developer Dave Grossman.[16][17] In May 2012, Dan Connors confirmed that Dave Grossman was in charge of the King's Quest project, and Telltale was working on how to proceed.[18] Then, on April 3, 2013, it was announced that Telltale's King's Quest game was cancelled. Activision had recovered the rights to King's Quest, and had their own plans for the franchise.[19][/u]

In August 2014, Activision announced that they had revived the Sierra brand, and had passed development responsibilities for a King's Quest: Mask of Eternity sequel over to The Odd Gentlemen.[20]"
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 03:39:57 PM »
That definitely HAVE billed it as an adventure game, both in official announcements and in informal Tweets & FB posts.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 04:05:08 PM »
That definitely HAVE billed it as an adventure game, both in official announcements and in informal Tweets & FB posts.

Fair enough.  Like I said, I have not followed that much. 

As for the other stuff as in other companies and their intentions, I really don't care about any of it.  I don't care if the game has Roberta's hand in it.  None of that really matters at all.  If the game is good, great.  If not, then I can be unhappy.  I will wait to pass judgement.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 04:17:15 PM »
I have been letting my hate flow through me with this one.  It sustains me.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »
I think honoring Ken and Roberta Williams, and Sierra-On Line, is a nice and right thing to do, but this was definitely a well timed PR move.  Not to take anything away from the Williams, but no one out there gives a crap unless it helps them sell now.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 05:52:23 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGlN6mluGA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGlN6mluGA</a>

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 11:35:28 PM »
You want a picture of what's wrong with adventure games in 2014? Follow these arguments over this new King's Quest.

There's two extremes on this that really get under my skin. The first is what Chucklas has said, people are judging this and basically shitting on it without knowing much about it other than a 90 second teaser. The other extreme is what Lambo said, people thinking the sun is going to shine out of it because it's a King's Quest game and will be on the Sierra label. I don't disagree with aspects of both arguments, but damn it, both extremes are just poisonous to anyone that wants to do anything with these IP's. I wouldn't do another remake or play with one of their IP's for that reason, you have to wade through miles and miles of just absolute bullshit from supposed fans. That is the problem with the whole Sierra community, they're so closed off to reality when it comes to this stuff. The reality is a new King's Quest game is never going to be like KQ6. Adventure games are a niche market now, if you're trying to sell a game at a company like Activision you want to sell millions, a new adventure game is going to sell at best in five figures, not seven.

Then throw in places like Adventure Gamers which are just toxic to anything that doesn't fit within their little box of what an adventure game should be. And that box looks like a LucasArts game made by TellTale. Now I know there are different views about those games, I err on the side of TT being a bit simplistic for my tastes and lacking in any real puzzles which I think are important in an adventure, but they're not evil either. Some of the stories have been excellent, the Sam and Max games, Monkey Island are two examples I loved. Back to the Future was a great story it just sucked with gameplay elements (ie. it had none). But some people do love Sierra style games, inventory puzzles, that sort of thing. And that's fine too. But say any of that on AG forums and you will be dumped on from a great height and for many many pages of posts. There is no allowance for different tastes or styles, or the room for a reasonable discussion about what people like.

You know how adventure games "come back?" New people fucking buy them. And new people are going to look at these communities of supposed fans and just see they toxic nature of them, walk away and buy the next CoD.

I have no problem shitting on a game if it sucks. I have no problem praising a game if it's great, but this jumping straight to an extreme is just total bollocks and does nothing but hurt what they are profess to love.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 11:45:31 PM »
The only way it could have been worse is if they had a first-person shot looking down the point of the arrow as Graham aimed the bow.  ;)

Ahem...

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 12:18:54 AM »
Heh...I know; we did the same thing in QFI.

DosboxLetsPlay

• Villain
  • Liked: 72
  • Hero of Gloriana
    • DosboxLetsPlay
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/dosboxletsplay
    • View Profile
  • Favorite Game: Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 01:26:42 AM »
@Klytos
I like to believe that those people are just very nostalgic. For example, QFI had a refreshing twist to it but it still plays like those good old games, so it's easier for people at those forums to relate to QFI than what this new KQ seems to become according to this trailer.
"Ha ha! Little graveyard humor there!"