Author Topic: The very first Development Images of this project!  (Read 7858 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
The very first Development Images of this project!
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:09:59 PM »
In October, 2011 - I got the idea in my head, as we were finishing SQ2 at IA, that I wanted to do Quest For Infamy as our first commercial project.  The ideas had been brewing in the ole noggin' forever - so I did some sketches and came up with some ideas, talked to Jerm about them - and then we went and finished SQ2!

Two months after that, we started up this current QFI project - and here are some of the lost first images of the game!

You can definitely see some differences - and see how we developed it from here!  The first image is the bad sketch I came up with to give Jerm an idea for what I wanted - the next is his version.  The 3rd version is Jerm's original vision of inside the town gates.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
Re: The very first Development Images of this project!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 02:31:13 PM »
Nice find Bt!  If you guys looks closely, you can see the original resolution was 320x200.  Having been there from the beginning, I am amazed at all the little (and big) changes that the game has taken so far. 
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:06:48 AM »
Heh - I found an even more rough and earlier development image.  The seeds of this version of QFI were planted on Sunday, October 30th, 2011.  Wow.

It's amazing to see how far we've come.

We rolled into full production of the demo for our Kickstarter in Jan. of 2012.... and let me tell you, Jeremy, Jenny, Chuck, Shawn, Broomie, James and I worked our asses off to that demo.  We knew going into this that we'd have to show something pretty concrete to reflect the kind of game we wanted to make.  And I think it worked for us, and worked well.  We had a lot of help along the way during the KS from some good friends, who re-tweeted us, posted on Facebook, forums all over the net, contacted gaming sites for us... This has been a pretty amazing journey so far.

So, you know, each of you backers are a part of that story too.  Someday, you can say "Yeah - I helped fund an independent game, and it really made a difference - they're still making cool games!"  Heh.  Thanks again - now, without further ado - the germination of a screen from QFI.  You can see that we moved the "fish stand" to a pond behind town.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 01:31:51 AM »
Nice find Bt!  If you guys looks closely, you can see the original resolution was 320x200.  Having been there from the beginning, I am amazed at all the little (and big) changes that the game has taken so far.

Yeah...like where is the dang gray potted plant hanging from the rafter (right side of the screen), hmmm?  You know, the one that the narrator says something like, "Good idea, maybe you should try doing that again later..."  Felt like I got a lot of those responses in the demo.  But it's cool--gives me something to look forward to trying later on.

I agree, even as a backer, I know my "input" in the finished product will probably be a very miniscule amount, but nonetheless it does give me an indescribable sense of pride to be involved in this game.  Besides seeing the finished product that so many people worked tirelessly on, I shamelessly admit it--I cannot wait to show my little sprite/portrait to my little 4 & 5 year olds, who just happen to be getting into games like these themselves.  My hubs on the other hand, now he will probably think I'm Looney Tunes.  ...ehh, I dunno...am I getting too personal with my thoughts?

I'm digressing again...my point was to say that it fascinates me to see how the "bill becomes a law" if you will...love seeing these early sketches and the beautiful artwork that comes from them!  (Ok, is it mean to say that some of the raw sketches kinda crack me up a bit...??)   ;D

Love this thread.

Cheers,
Sarah R.

Jerminator

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 02:32:25 AM »
  (Ok, is it mean to say that some of the raw sketches kinda crack me up a bit...??)   ;D

That is what we call in the deep depths of the heart of business here at IQ. The "Steve sketch."

It is both feared and respected equally.

It's really funny behind the scenes as Bt and I are chatting on skype throwing ideas around. He'll usually go pretty in depth describing a scene he wants in the game, and if I think I'm not entirely on the same page as him I'll just type those two words. "Steve sketch?" Then it becomes clear.

Really seeing the Steve sketches over the years, Steve is getting better and better. He sent me one just last night that really got me excited. Anyways, we have a good bit of fun with it.

And to answer your question Sarah, I too think about showing my kids this game and being proud of the work we've done. I love the personal input, I think hearing things like that make what we're doing here that much more important and worth while.

Cheers!

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 09:33:03 AM »
And which of us artists can honestly say we don't secretly get jollies from blowing Steve-Sketches out of the water with our own versions?  I know it pushes me to up my game.  haha
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:46:39 AM »
Heh heh.  Poor, poor Steve Sketches.  They don't stand a chance around here with all this talent.

Bt

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:18:12 AM »
Steve sketches are awesome.  They make ME feel like I COULD be an artist...lol.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 329
  • You can't do that; at least not now.
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »
I have a whole bunch of Steve Sketches on my fridge showing Mummy + Mr Яoәhm
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a Narrator, and I ride and I ride.

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »
Really seeing the Steve sketches over the years, Steve is getting better and better. He sent me one just last night that really got me excited.

Steve Sketch montage.  Too meta?
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »
Really seeing the Steve sketches over the years, Steve is getting better and better. He sent me one just last night that really got me excited.

Nah.  I want a special edition where every background from the finished game is replaced with its original Steve Sketch...

"Look out, or else Mr. Roehm will fall into that blue squiggle -- I mean, the Volks river !"

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 07:29:57 PM »

Nah.  I want a special edition where every background from the finished game is replaced with its original Steve Sketch...

"Look out, or else Mr. Roehm will fall into that blue squiggle -- I mean, the Volks river !"

Now there's an idea!  :D
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »
Reminds me of that game Meta where the interface is an AGS Studio project and the game is made of horrible Paint graphics. The difficult part is wrestling with the interface to make the game itself playable.

Fizzii

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1039
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 02:58:07 AM »
Reminds me of that game Meta where the interface is an AGS Studio project and the game is made of horrible Paint graphics. The difficult part is wrestling with the interface to make the game itself playable.

That's the game I did the Awesmoe (sic) Quest graphics for but didn't want any of the credit :O

And no, I didn't used to be THAT bad at graphics... perhaps when I was 5 years old maybe  :-[

Anyway, I do sometimes get a giggle out of sketches like Bt's ;)
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 07:44:18 AM »
Hah!  I never knew you did the awesome graphics of Meta!  That game is the bomb.

Heh - yeah, my sketches are definitely crude... but you guys turn them into magical works of art.  It's fun for me to see me try and reflect a concept I have in my mind, and for you to bring out the best in the idea.

Bt