Author Topic: GOG.com Sale - Quest Games!  (Read 9437 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
GOG.com Sale - Quest Games!
« on: October 05, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »
This weekend, Activision Classic are on sale for 60% off!  This includes almost all of the "Quest" games you could ever want, also the Gabriel Knight Series, Torin's Passage... many others!  Check it out here!

http://j.mp/GOGActivision

I just bought a bunch.  I have many of these on CD-ROMS and stuff, but I honestly have most of them in storage, and breaking out my CD-ROMs sucks.  For 4 bucks, I got entire series, digitally stored on GoG.com so I can go there when I need them, get 'em anytime, anywhere... plus, they're all designed to work on our modern systems, with pre-configs for DosBox... it's nice.  Also, QFGIV is patched properly in this collection, so hey - you can play it without bugs!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: GOG.com Sale - Quest Games!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:16:28 AM »
Finally, copies of Gabriel Knight 2 and 3 to call your very own--right, Steve?  ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:20:03 AM »
I already own most of the adventure games that are on sale on GoG.  I might pick up Phantasmagoria for completeness sake, though.  I never much cared for that style of game.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 11:51:16 AM »
Finally, copies of Gabriel Knight 2 and 3 to call your very own--right, Steve?  ;)

Haha!  I know... I've never owned them until now.  Never played 3.  Played 2.  Almost swore off computer gaming.

@ Serena:  You know, I already own most of these myself - but having these digital backups makes me feel good.  They were so cheap.  With GoG, my copies are always stored on there, I can get access them from any computer anywhere, and I don't have to go digging through my closet to find my CD-ROMS.  Plus, they're all patched.  For me, because I'm a lover of the path of least resistance, this was awesome for me!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

steffi evenstar

• Recruit
  • Liked: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 06:56:17 PM »
I bought the QFG package several months back.  Am I the only one who really could not get into QFGV?

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »
Nah, I didn't care for QFG5 much either to be honest. I think that 1 and 4 and easily the best in the series.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 09:13:21 PM »
While interesting, I didn't much care for QFG5 either.  I did finish it, though.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 10:17:06 PM »
There's some things I really liked about QFGV and some things I really thought were kind of tedious.  It's an okay game - I really would have had a game more like the other ones to tie it up, but it was just a product of its time.

Bt

Monster

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 10:53:01 PM »
Only ever played the Demo version of QfG5.  I just purchased the collection, and I'm looking forward to playing Dragon Fire for the first time.

Of course, I've got to get my character through all of the other games first.

I find the first two are my favourites.

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 06:34:21 AM »
QFGV suffered from something similar to Leisure Suit Larry 4, although slightly less so (since there actually was a game at the end of the process). It was intended to have online capabilities, with up to five people participating in the same quest and competing against each other to finish each objective first. Obviously, that got scrapped along the way, and the game became a single-player experience with NPCs filling the other four slots. At least, that's the story I remember, and you can see it in how the game was designed, particularly the early parts.

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 02:19:27 AM »
I liked the little bit of qfgV i played.  Yes the style of the game is different the previous games.  More 3d aspects.  It barely got made at all if i remember correctly.  Took a whole bunch of fans writing letters to Sierra.  In Interviews i read with the Coles they stated that the gameplay was the truest to their original concept for the game.  Flaws it had as did all the QFG games, but for me it was closure to the series. :)
**********Chadly*********************

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »
I was so excited when GOG came about.  I'm not much of a computer techie so I can't ever get those old games to play on the newer systems.  I'm definitely not up with the times...and 3D games like QFGV, KQ8, etc. really pissed me off when they came out because they were nothing like the things I loved most about the earlier games in the series.  I felt so betrayed...   ::)

I will totally be THAT old fart in my rocking chair saying, "that's not how they did it back in MY day..."

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »
I was so excited when GOG came about.  I'm not much of a computer techie so I can't ever get those old games to play on the newer systems.  I'm definitely not up with the times...and 3D games like QFGV, KQ8, etc. really pissed me off when they came out because they were nothing like the things I loved most about the earlier games in the series.  I felt so betrayed...   ::)

I will totally be THAT old fart in my rocking chair saying, "that's not how they did it back in MY day..."

If you still own the games, you can use the new SHP installers. Otherwise, GOG is a great resource.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »
Collector, you're a treasure trove of Sierra Goodies, goodness and overall excellence.  We here at IQ salute you.

Bt

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 05:27:44 PM »
@Collector:  Yes thank you very much for your installers for the classic sierra games.  Without them i'd be lost.  Its been too long since i wrote a config.sys or autoexec. files.  Sometimes i miss Dos tho.  Thanks again! :)
**********Chadly*********************