Author Topic: The Kickstarter Blues  (Read 48665 times)

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
Re: The Kickstarter Blues
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 05:45:52 PM »
I don't really jump to support many of the recent Kickstarters because they don't offer awesome rewards for big donations. Okay, copies of the thing you're making are a given, and T-shirts and collectible toys are nice, but how many of them let you be a part of the magic? I think if more of these groups would let me be part of the team, I'd go broke. Most of the top tier rewards are things like invitations to parties I wouldn't be able to attend anyway, or large props that I don't have room to store.

There is also the factor of how much I've paid so far. It takes something pretty promising to get that much money out of me. In the end, I donate a bit to the Kickstarters of games that interest me, usually just enough to get the game and any rewards that look both interesting and claimable, once it looks like they're going to reach their goal. Or enough to get an Ouya and second controller two hours before the deadline.

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 06:54:32 PM »
The few KSers i have supported are only the ones i have confidence that will make a unique and special game.  Helping out indie devs is all well and good but what pisses me off are those who a. are millionaires already and want the poor folks money and b. some KS really have no set plan to make the game.  They just say "give us the money and we will make a game."  I supported folks like the Two Guys, Jane Jenson, Replay, and most importantly Infamous Quests because i Know they will make unique and special old school adventure games. :)

Rewards for KS is cool but as a have said in the past i rather see my money go to make a special game.

The biggest KS i have seen is a company that is building a watch that is bluetooth comp will your smartphone.  Pretty neat idea. However it gonna cost like 200 bucks, don't know if i can justify spending that kind of money for a neat watch.
**********Chadly*********************

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »
Our little project got lucky - sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to it.  I'd like to think we did a good job - presenting information, having a decent playable demo and I tried to be available for people and to put a face to our group. 

Two thoughts here, followed by a lemma.  Pretty good post-mortem analysis has been done by project creators learning from the "school of hard knocks", including projects whose funding goal was met.  There's the reward fulfilment piece from Warballoon Games (from the Star Command game project, not to be confused with the "Space Command" film project  :-* ), a "how to save your mid-budget, super-hyped, iOS title" about Republique (courtesty of Gamasutra, Camouflaj + Logan;  spoiler... you save it by making it not an iOS title and calling in media favors that most indie studios can't muster), a "20 ways to screw your Kickstarter game project" from the launch of a modern successor to M.U.L.E. (called Alpha Colony), and a good piece by Stoic Studios (of "The Banner Saga" fame) about lessons they learned from their experience.

[ Full disclosure:  I did not back either of the iOS game projects, and I did back both of the Linux games; The Banner Saga, which funded and looks freaking amazing, and Alpha Colony which was stunted at birth, as detailed in the article. ]

First thought... many of the hallmarks of the successful projects, as well as top advice from the other projects, was present in Quest for Infamy.  That is, actual gameplay footage (topped by a playable demo), a solid enthusiastic community rallied around the project from the get-go, and a good pitch video.  One overlooked detail is pitch video delivery.  Bt, you don't give yourself enough credit!  You're able to portray sincerity with a sense of humor, which is a particularly hard balance to strike.  Consider;  insincere?  "What the hell will he do with my money?"  Not funny?  "If he can't be funny here, why would the game be any better?".  Flattery aside, I think most active backers will join me in stating that you've an infectious personality, you're funny, sarcastic, and a genuinely nice guy.  Hey, it works for Tim of Legend, so why not?  Having a pre-existing fan-community gives you early cheerleaders (those folks that spout nonsense early in the comment thread, burying trolls & answering questions from wayward backers).  Personal, nimble, responses to backer questions helped to build trust.  All of that is in addition to having a strong, solid game concept with an extraordinarily talented team behind it (a demo of a crappy, humourless game wouldn't have done much for me), to the credit of both Klytos and yourself.

Second thought... critical mass.  While it's easy to lambaste big name adventure game designers as, perhaps, overstepping the bounds of what is "independent development", especially noted in the case of Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road (one game Kickstarted, but the other through some traditional publisher arrangement) and Replay Games (essentially Kickstarting an independent publisher, rather than a developer, as evidenced by the Adventure Mob episode), there is an important aspect of this to consider.  These "big names" in adventure gaming have brought enormous attention to Kickstarter in general.  In the case of QFI, could we really say that it would have funded as highly as it did without the mass mobilization of Sierra, LucasArts, and Tex Murphy fans, all in one place, and ready for more?  Take a peek at QFI's backer's list, and marvel at the number of individuals who backed Double Fine Adventure, Leisure Suit Larry, Pinkerton Road, SpaceVenture, or Tex Murphy first.  This leads to my lemma.

You also had hallmarks of successful projects which you may have not expected;  that is, some "celebrity" attention from other game devs (like the SpaceVenture guys), which might not have come had you launched some other time (earlier or later).  It's not to say that your peers in the game dev community wouldn't have supported you, just that indie devs have been more galvanized this year than I've seen since around the time that the first Humble Indie Bundles were launched, and everyone in-the-know seems to understand how important timing and urgency are, in regards to Kickstarter campaigns.

In my opinion (humble or otherwise), QFI hit the perfect storm.  I only wish it were more perfect, and we got that Council filled with portraits, as well as another couple of compatriots for Nidoking to bounce ideas around with.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 03:39:14 AM »
I don't know if it's a "mass mobilisation" of Sierra / Lucas fans as you say. I think it's more than people who support our project, spaceventure, Phoenix Online, Tex Murphy etc are adventure game fans. I mean, I've supported other adventure projects that I thought looked good and to me it's not about mobilising, it's about supporting stuff I love.

As for celebrity endorsement, Scott Murphy is a great guy who is good friends with members of our team. His support through our KS was brilliant and very much appreciated. And I agree, it certainly gave us some good exposure.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 04:26:48 AM »
Don't get me wrong, your campaign was remarkably well put together, and I definitely intended to indicate that fact as the dominant factor.  And the most important part of that being a very strong game concept, the next most important being presentation.  It was incredibly gratifying (at least to me) to see the staff introductions;  it "personalised" the whole project in a compelling way.

I've just never seen adventure gaming fans, with broad studio preference, band together to pour out so many millions of dollars into supporting adventure gaming in a matter of three months or so.  Hence, my point was that with the above mentioned strong concept & team, it's my personal feeling that you fine folks at IQ were able to tap into this energy and fulfill a sorely unfulfilled niche at the right time, and to great effect.  I, personally, believe that the project deserved any and all "celebrity" promotion, and more!  I just don't know whether or not it would have come together this way under other circumstances.

Perhaps my oversimplification of fandom down to two brands was misleading (it was not meant to be);  I'm including all of fandom that Kickstarter has pulled out of the woodwork, including all the odd studios that hardly anyone has ever heard of (for example, I've discussed Coktel Vision's catalogue four times in the past months, this for the first time in ten years or so).  So, I think that, in addition to QFI's success, a modicum good has come of the "Kickstarter rush", even if it comes at the cost of severely damaging Kickstarter's brand (with which I do agree, at least to an extent).  I'm trying to balance the conversation in pointing this out, but you are right that I'm completely hand-waving.

Admittedly, much of my opinion is data drawn from a sample size of one.  However if this "mobilisation" (for lack of a better word) is not unprecedented in the past decade, then I'm sorely in need of a history lesson!   ;D
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 02:37:23 PM »
I do think we had, as you say, "The Perfect Storm".  I do think that adventure game fans have realized that Kickstarter is a great way to fund the kinds of games they love.  Unfortunately - all kinds of people have "discovered" Kickstarter too, and now there's a glut of projects with absurd goals... and many are floundering.  Like David Crane's Jungle Adventure.  The pitch was too vague - and it had a goal of $900,000.  As much as I love Pitfall! (It's seriously one of my all time favorite games) it was just.... to vague. 

Like I said - we got lucky.  Sure, we had a lot of great things going for us, and if we didn't have our shit together like we did, I don't think we would have done as well.  I'll just be interested to see how all of us who've benefited from KS this year do in the future.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »
I see that Pendulo tried crowd funding on http://www.lab.gamesplanet.com/dayone/ and don't look like getting anywhere near the required $$$. Wonder if they would have had more luck with a Kickstarter.
Do you think the crowdfunding this will evolve with gaming to where the website that you pledge to will also distribute the game via download when it become available (at least to the backers anyway)? Or do you think distribution needs to be kept separate from funding?  Would seem to cut out a lot of cross over admin work.

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 03:21:52 AM »
I'll just be interested to see how all of us who've benefited from KS this year do in the future.

I desperately want all of my adventure game projects to be successful, if not wildly.  QFI is actually the one I'm least concerned about, because I've played it, and it's great.  Mind you, it's a slice, and we don't really have much of a window into an overall plot-arc from Demo 1.0, but it's obvious that you'll be able to execute on the game.  The physical rewards are another issue.  I hope you'll keep us informed about the process involved in putting together the boxed versions and the awesome tchotchkies that go inside it.  I do worry a bit about how that whole "reward fulfilment" aspect of KS campaigns.  I still haven't given up hope on the idea of a QFG/Sierra style guidebook, with hints masked and revealed via red-cellophane decoder :-)

After QFI, it's Detective Grimoire, since they're really far along (shooting to ship this month), because I've already played the demo, and because they have publisher support via Armor Games.  Then, it would be Reincarnation:  The Root of All Evil, because I've played about six of his little free Reincarnation games on Newgrounds, have seen some of his behind-the-scenes Youtube videos about doing keyframe animations, and have already received all of my physical rewards (yesterday), so I know he can write/design fun little adventure games.

After them would be Lilly Looking Through, for similar reasons as QFI;  I've played a nice demo, and all they have to do to deliver is finish (I'm not getting any physical rewards from them).  Also, I've read statements from other Kickstarter backers on other projects that they were able to meet the Hoogendyk's at either GenCon or Dragon*Con, play an extended demo, and that they're really really nice.  So, they're sincere and the game is already progressing well.  Also, they've given themselves plenty of time (est. release next May).

Then, it would be Broken Sword, since it's a more ambitious project, hence greater chance of failure, but Revolution Software is an established studio with plenty of experience, a dozen titles under their collective belts, and soon, a goodly chunk of change.  Right after them, I'd say it would be Tex Murphy, because of precisely the same reasons.  They've got a studio ready to go and shipped titles, albeit casual games, and the two (Aaron & Chris) are veteran game designers, as well as having a goodly chunk of change ($600K aught to help).

After that is probably Eric Shofe's The Curse of Shadow House because we've got no forum access to keep up to date, and he hasn't issued any updates in a month, other than some banter on the project comment thread (in which, admittedly, he can be quite verbose;  a good thing for Kickstarter updates).  He's trying to ship by Halloween, which seems aggressive to me.  His project has a smaller scope, though, which will help, and he's hinted at putting game quality above release date, which is good.

It's murky after that... I think Jane Jensen is probably next in my line of worry, since the studio is brand new, and the development work is contracted out, but they have another title (Mystery Game X) with publisher monies, so the studio will probably be in reasonable shape.  Plenty can go wrong there, but they should have enough cash to get the job done, and she and her husband are seasoned game development/publishing veterans.

Then, my worry-meter is squarely aimed at SpaceVenture and Jack Houston.  Both are trying to build a studio and game from scratch;  both have had budgeting problems (the Two Guys are going to face fulfilment issues due to the redonkulous quantity of swag they've promised, and Stacy at Warbird Games got straight-up screwed by a troll backer, to the tune of ten thousand smackers, a fifth of his budget).  Both haven't published a game in a long time, and both need a lot of luck to hit it out of the park.  I'll do whatever I can to help out, for sure.  I'm really keen on those two projects (SpaceVenture being extra special to me).

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 03:48:07 AM »
Do you think the crowdfunding this will evolve with gaming to where the website that you pledge to will also distribute the game via download when it become available (at least to the backers anyway)? Or do you think distribution needs to be kept separate from funding?  Would seem to cut out a lot of cross over admin work.

Desura's Alphafunding program works exactly like this, and is working pretty well for Project Zomboid, Xenonauts, and a few other games, but has an even lower profile than Gamesplanet Lab, unfortunately.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the Pendulo style, but I think they could hardly have made a more vague pitch video than for Day One.  You literally know nothing about the game other than the fact that it may have a bald main character.  After watching it, you have to read the accompanying paragraph to know that it's a dark comedy;  but the pitch video wasn't funny  :(

Though the new pitch video is a lot better (but I can't understand the parts in Spanish unfortunately), I feel like I remember there being an English version when the project came up on Ulule first, before the Gamesplanet Lab launch, which I did check out, and wasn't appealing.

I think they could do well on Kickstarter with a goal smaller than $360K, but then they may not have enough money to develop a fully-3D adventure game.

Edit:  Found the original pitch video...
http://youtu.be/fZoTLL0mAgs
  Also, it's remarkably challenging to paste a Youtube video URL without it embedding the damn thing >:(

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 03:56:43 AM »
I think pendulo had a fairly good start with the original runaway. But that needed to be a launching pad for better products, sadly they haven't delivered. I think 350k could have been more then possible straight after runaway but not now

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 08:12:16 AM »
Damn, S_D, I love reading your posts, man!  You have great insight into things, and you're well spoken.  Reminds me of the old days on various adventure gaming forums - you know, these kinds of chats just petered out over the years.

Yeah - there's definitely a lot of concern, and I'll be keeping everyone updated as far as swag goes - I have contacted several vendors - I did so during the KS, to make sure we could obtain what we needed to for the budget we had.  I think fulfilling swag is going to be hard for some projects - we kept ours pretty reasonable, but fun - I think.  I mean, I'm looking forward to getting our swag in, and having a copy of all of it for my own!  I'll be excited when we can finally assemble the big boxes, and start shipping them out to people, in all honesty.  I loved getting the game boxes when I was a kid - and to be able to send one out there, with our name on it, and the game we made inside?  It gives you kind of an ooey-gooey feeling inside, honestly.  Everyone knows I'm filled with ooh and goo anyway... hah. 

I'm interested to see how things develop - and I share many of your excitements and fears about the projects you mentioned.  But, you know, time is the great decider - we'll see how it all goes!  You know, though, just because I love the community so much, and I want to see everyone happy and promoting adventure games again - I hope all the games are amazing.  I hope people flood the forums, and we're arguing about the minutiae of the games, speculating on sequels, odd parts or useless background characters in games getting their own fan club.  (I'm pretty sure 'The Friends of Jan' from QFI is going to happen.  Everyone seems to love him!)

Bt

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »
I've been sad to see some projects not make their goals.

Cinemaware produced some great games that I loved when I was a young PC gamer.  Defender of the Crown, It Came From The Desert and Rocket Ranger all come to mind.

They had a KS to get an enhanced version of "Wings" out there, but it failed.  It kind of failed hard, which made me sad.  I really think some people just don't know how to navigate the crowd funding thing.

Bt

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
How much of a fan following did they still have? It seems that for a successful KS you have to have strong fan base or community.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 09:27:41 PM »

They had a KS to get an enhanced version of "Wings" out there, but it failed. 

It's not surprising.  Could they have really afforded Thomas Hayden Church, now that he's a big movie star?

Still, it would have been cool to see Tim Daly and Steven Weber in High Def...   :-\

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 08:23:30 AM »
And.... I think that KS for indies has peaked.

Obsidian, makers of Planescape: Torment, have a Kickstarter for a new isometric RPG - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

Well, it seems that the bigger guys, who've already had success, have found this model.  I wonder how long it is before they milk this dry, and leave it a desert.

Bt