Author Topic: Farewell, Telltale?  (Read 9008 times)

Brainiac

• Lackey
  • Liked: 58
  • Game Guru
    • View Profile
Farewell, Telltale?
« on: September 21, 2018, 05:30:42 PM »
It appears to be the end of an era, for good or ill.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/report-telltale-games-shutting-down-the-wolf-among-us-2-and-stranger-things-canceled

Given the opinions on Telltale's works over the years here, I'm curious how people feel about this.
There is balance in all things. Live in symmetry with the world around you. If you must blow things up and steal from those around you, THAT'S WHAT RPGS ARE FOR!

Official Member of the VGL Street Team

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
Re: Farewell, Telltale?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 11:10:47 PM »
Well

from an insiders point of view
as soon as Merchandise went down telltale began a battle uphill  (as BT about merch) 

the original crew, most left just after me or before, jake, seg, hell even DAN bounced, must talk to mark about this though.

I did know that they did indeed just take on WAY to many projects with ZERO ZERO ZERO $$ coming in from any schwag/merch that was sold ( a huge blow trust me)

with the many teams, needed to make games across many many platforms* thank god wii is over
this cost the company seeking out many new faces and the overhead was just insane

that and IP's  but I wont get into this, as some remarks ive heard IDK if they are public yet..
I know what telltale was, where it came from and what the driving force was
that went away long ago

question is
where is Dan?
and where will mark and dave go now? double fine?  new companies?

sheesh glad i held onto my TTG swag

hugs to all

wow well, talked to a few of the crew, and yea this is deep and has been going on since well early-mid 2017
ackkk more if i can or get info.
bottom line though,  investors = good and BAD. depends 
when dan went, well, almost like at LucasArts. whooos coming with me!
urmm everyone? again? aww nuts
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 07:27:25 PM »
I thought Dave left ages ago.

I'm not sorry Telltale is going under because of the games. Just the employees out of a job. That's a rough blow. The games I couldn't care less about and haven't for a long time (since BTTF and JP).

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 05:21:31 PM »
this isnt the issue

dan did leave long ago in said terms
but this event is like SIERRA long ago.

the issue is that all the games they made did VERY well
its like shutting down deadpool 1  for making 1 billion dollars when it only cost 48 million to make.

all the games whether you liked them or not, did VERY VERY well.

minus a few luls and such, but yea.
I am sad, as you said mostly for the awesome employees now looking for jobs and are well beyond my age and wisdom.

shrug.

time to sell my telltale and sam n max stuff!
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 06:58:04 PM »
Sounds to me like Telltale finally did to their employees what they did to "modern" adventure games years ago.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »
I never cared much for Telltale's formula; I stopped paying attention to their games, really, after BTTF.  Shawn likes the Borderlands game a lot, I recall.  They just didn't do it for me.  I am very sad about the employees let go without severance... that's beyond shitty.

It makes me think though, if Telltale - the "successful" adventure game company - can't make it, who can?  Maybe people will realize it's harder to make these games and make a living than they thought....

Hahah, who am I kidding?  Gamers will NEVER realize that....

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

caldric

• Lackey
  • Liked: 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 05:36:39 PM »
Sounds to me like Telltale finally did to their employees what they did to "modern" adventure games years ago.

And the employees are taking action; there's now a class-action lawsuit filed against Telltale.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/25/17901106/telltale-layoffs-lawsuit-warn-act

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 06:29:36 PM »
GOOD.  Fuckers.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 09:10:44 AM »
As they should.  Someone fucked up big time at Telltale, and the employees got the shaft.  They're within legal rights, for sure.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »
Their games sucked big hairy Donkey balls! However screwing 3/4 of their staff out of severance pay just wrong!
**********Chadly*********************

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 07:16:46 PM »
The only game of theirs I was interested in was Back To The Future.  Bought the DVD version when it came out, and finally got around to playing it a little over 2 years ago...

Got stuck in the first episode trying to break old Doc out of jail -- terrible controls, and I couldn't figure out how to get the thug behind the counter in the... soup kitchen(?), I think... to leave -- and haven't touched it since...

...Except just now to view the last autosave to see exactly how long ago I stopped playing it.

A shame, too.  I liked the premise, AJ's performance of Marty was quite convincing, and the recreation of the movie events at the beginning was terrific...

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 12:05:16 PM »
Let's not forget the most important part about this whole debacle: my personal vindication after being banned from their forums years ago.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 02:55:00 PM »
Let's not forget the most important part about this whole debacle: my personal vindication after being banned from their forums years ago.

Hahah, I remember that... I got banned in that whole incident, too!  I believe that mod later backed Quest for Infamy on Kickstarter...

Bt

Also, remember when Telltale was going to make King's Quest?  :D

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 06:35:08 PM »
I don't mind TT games, they are what they are. They're easy to play and don't require any real effort on my part, and that's good sometimes. Borderlands was amazing, they just nailed so many things right with that. There's quite a number of stinkers in their catalog too, GoT was poor for example.

I feel for the employees who do seem to have been screwed over here. I don't think it's anything for adventure game developers to worry about, the circumstances seem to be TellTale being poor managers of finance, taking on expensive IP's and being in crunch mode the entire time. There's plenty of adventure game companies out there doing alright.

shoptroll

• Lackey
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 09:13:51 PM »
There's plenty of adventure game companies out there doing alright.

Didn't Wadjet Eye announce not long ago that Unavowed had their best launch ever?  Hero-U also seems to be doing well enough that they're talking about a side project and a sequel...  Those are probably the two highest profile releases recently.

I liked that Telltale managed to keep the genre in the public's conciousness when there wasn't many other developers investing in the genre at the time.  And I think they get some credit for trying to get their games onto consoles which is a bit of a precursor to what's going on with the Switch these days.

But... that was then and TT is...was... just one of many making narrative/story focused games.  And you know, the companies that didn't try to grow a massive ton after they had their one breakout hit still seem to be doing ok for themselves.