Author Topic: The greatest movies of all time?  (Read 9409 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
The greatest movies of all time?
« on: October 23, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »
So what do you guys think are the greatest movies of all time?

LINK REMOVED

This old sci-fi classic is a definite favorite of mine!  It's not well-known but with its amazing storyline it's even better than Star Wars!  ;D

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: The greatest movies of all time?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
Sorry, while this may be a Danish film steeped in irony and parody of Sci-Fi and Blaxplotation films, this version is clearly a racial trolling device, and I don't want it here.

If any keen user wants to see what this was all about, You can click here to find out more.

Bad - no more stuff like that, okay? Or else about 8 people will swing a ban stick hard!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
Okay, okay.  I'm not racist or anything.  Really, my girlfriend is as dark as Snookie, how could I be racist?

Like I said earlier, I don't have any problems with racial humor as long as it's funny or done in good spirits. (like a Chris Rock sketch, as opposed to Larry the Cable guy doing a sketch on why "insert minority group here" are dumb)  But I'll try to avoid anymore race humor unless it's other white people.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 02:14:30 PM »
Yeah, there's racial humor and then there's stuff designed to get a rise out of people.  This is the latter.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 02:51:43 PM »
Is this a serious topic?  If so, I submit Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.  I'll wait for the usual "not as good as Raiders!" posts to subside before I explain why.  ;)

Also, I really REALLY like Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?  One of my favorite movies ever.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Jerminator

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 03:08:10 PM »
Temple of doom is not as good as raiders!

One of my favorites is Tombstone.

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »
Raiders is not as good as Last Crusade.

Tombstone was good. I really liked Inception. And of course The Matrix. Just saw Riddick in theatres a couple weeks ago, that was quite good. Better than the first two, I'd say. The first Pirates movie was good, too, even though it's a Monkey Island ripoff. Back To The Future is up there as well.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »
Well my favorite movie is actually the hilarious (but extremely offensive) Mel Brooks movie known as Bla, uh....

Space Blalls...  Yeah, Space Blalls...

yeah... that's the ticket.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »
Raiders is the best Indy film... hands down, without question.  Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came close, but didn't QUITE match Raiders of the Lost Ark's excellence.

For me, the Greatest Movie depends on what day it is!  But lately, "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" has really captured my heart.  That flick is friggin' awesome.

Bt

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 05:18:39 PM »
I'm a huge Trekkie, so of course I'll have to go with Wrath of Khan.  Both Voyage Home and First Contact come very close, though.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »
Out of all of them I prefer Search for Spock, personally! But obviously the greatest movie of all time is Labyrinth, everyone knows that.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
I've had to accept that my taste in almost any form of media simply doesn't mesh with most other people's, but I've got my favorites and I'll happily defend them. Up until earlier this year, my favorite movie was Sling Blade, a movie about a man with a learning disability who's served his time in an asylum for a childhood crime and is cast out into the world to try to establish a new life while surrounded by a situation that reminds him of his past. I think my deep connection to the movie comes from the fact that when I first watched it, my home life was highly reminiscent of the situation in the movie, but even aside from that, it's got enough humor to be entertaining and raises a number of very significant moral questions.

However, I saw a movie called Ghosts With Shit Jobs at the Indianapolis Museum of Art in April and fell in love with it. Obviously, it's an art movie with a low budget and volunteer actors, so the quality isn't great, but the film uses that to its advantage in interesting ways - it's a documentary set in 2040 or so, after China has bought out the Internet and become the world's economic superpower. The documentary follows four groups of Canadian citizens (the "ghosts" in the title is a racist term in Chinese for white people) as they perform the jobs that no self-respecting Chinese person will do. The thing that really draws me into this movie is the level of detail - every object or person you see has a purpose and is part of the futuristic world. I've seen it about five times now, and I notice something new about it every time. It's a bit gritty, it's a bit unpleasant, and it builds to a surprising and amazing climax that goes well beyond the boundary of its own format, and it can be a little scary because of how much it fails to be a completely impossible picture of the future. I know it won't be for everyone, but you can check out the first twenty minutes for free at http://ghostswithshitjobs.com/, and it's available on region-free DVD and several streaming services. I'm shilling, but it fits the movie (trust me) and I think it deserves more exposure. If nothing else, you have to love the title.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 07:45:41 PM »
Out of all of them I prefer Search for Spock, personally! But obviously the greatest movie of all time is Labyrinth, everyone knows that.

When it comes to Jim Hensen, you CAN'T go wrong with Labyrinth.  I just LOVE David Bowie.

Dark Crystal is another great Hensen film.  If you haven't seen either then you should.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 08:38:17 PM »
I grew up with both of them, I wanted to work at Jim H's Creature Shop when I was really little!  I had a short taped off the tv called Monster Maker which was about a boy who wanted to make creatures for monster movies, well worth a watch too if you like Labyrinth and Dark Crystal :) I think it's on youtube in full actually, I watched it again fairly recently.

And yes, David Bowie, hnnnnghhh...particularly in the ballroom scene and the escher room!
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 09:06:15 PM »
What?  No love for Casablanca?

There's a reason why Everyone Comes to Rick's...