Author Topic: Star Wars: What do think of the New Movies?  (Read 8358 times)

caldric

• Lackey
  • Liked: 67
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: What do think of the New Movies?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 11:04:53 AM »
I definitely like Rogue One the best. Its characters and story are, for me, easily the most compelling among all of the new stuff. I wonder if part of the reason why I liked it so much is that there wasn't a mythology distraction. Typically I love mythology in TV and movies, but it can get in the way of the storytelling. With Rogue One it was just a straight up story with characters I cared about. I loved it.

I enjoy all the new movies (though I haven't seen Solo). I went in to them without much expectation, because I saw how different the prequels were than the originals, so I went in planning to take them as they were. And I thought they were good! Not without their flaws, of course (and Canto Bight was a big flaw), but I'll take them even with their flaws. The thing about Star Wars overall is that it's thematic; it's not sci-fi, it's space fantasy, and I enjoy it that way, just like I enjoyed all the big dumb fantasy movies in the 80's.

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 08:11:59 AM »
She gets a lot of undue flak in this whole thing.  She's a legend in the film industry, having co-founded Amblin fucking Entertainment with Steven Spielburg and Frank Marshall.  She's been involved with countless productions of amazing films.  People love to heap shit on people, and she's getting a ton of it.

Business-wise, I can see how some suits would be upset at Solo - although a good movie, the price tag was WAAAAAAY above board for a non Saga Star Wars movie and the advertising campaign was pretty piss poor.  But thematically, Kennedy isn't to blame for people's little bitches about Star Wars as of late.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 02:51:43 PM »
I'm not convinced of any of that. Sure, she has exec producer credits on tons of fan favourites, but wasn't she basically Spielburg's secretary and he just threw her credits?

Regardless, it's not the point. She has horribly mismanaged Star Wars and is responsible (whether directly or indirectly) for both dividing the fanbase like it's never been divided before and for the first Star Wars flop in history. And it was a monumental flop. She is not right for Star Wars. Whether she made mistakes, was malicious to fans, or just doesn't understand Star Wars, she's not right for the job. I don't care what movies she's worked on. When I first heard she was taking over LucasFilm I didn't have any reason to be against it. I was like "Ok, let's see what she brings to the table! I'm just glad George is gone!". Now her actions speak for themselves as far as I'm concerned.