Author Topic: The Hobbit Rant (SPOILERS!)  (Read 6050 times)

DosboxLetsPlay

• Villain
  • Liked: 72
  • Hero of Gloriana
    • DosboxLetsPlay
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/dosboxletsplay
    • View Profile
  • Favorite Game: Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
The Hobbit Rant (SPOILERS!)
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:38:12 PM »
Hey,

By this time, I'm sure most of you have seen the last Hobbit movie.
If you haven't, then one last time - Spoilers ahead!-

The general question I have is what are your thoughts regarding The Hobbit trilogy (feel free to compare it to LOTR trilogy or whatnot)?
All opinions are welcome and I hope no1 feels offended if someone else has another opinion.

I'll start then (NOTE: My views are my own, they don't necessarily mean that they are the right ones).
I feel like the whole thing was waaay too long. After watching LOTR movies, I didn't want to leave that magical world, but those movies were built up pretty much flawlessly for me and I love them for the way they are.
As for The Hobbit, they tried to do something odd with it (read: cash-in).

First of all, the book was written as a childrens book not an epic like LOTR. I guess part of the problem is CGI. In The Hobbit, it is just everywhere. It all feels so unrealistic (although I figure they aimed to do the opposite). Maybe this is due to HD and all that, but is it just me or do the orcs and such look ugly as F compared to the ones we saw in LOTR?

Next on, they filled the movies with quite a lot of pointless scenes and storylines that didn't really happen in the book which brings me to the next point: Physics (guest-starring Legolas)
Yeah okay, the physics weren't 100% right in LOTR too, but man, is Legolas a super-agile guy in Hobbit. Which also makes me think, if the elves live for hundreds, thousands of years, why does Legolas have powers like hopping easily on fastly moving barrels on a raging stream and escaping to safety on a collapsing bridge (Legolas vs Bolg fight) and then 50 years later he is limited to surfing down a set of stairs and climbing an Oliphaunt?

Moving on, the characters. Yess, it was great to see Frodo for a moment!! and Gandalf, but the company of dwarves? I didn't really connect with them that well like I did with the characters in LOTR. And apparently Thorin forgot that at the end of the first movie he was good pals with Bilbo and then in the next movie he douched with him again for no reason. But ye, if I need to count all 13 dwarves... uhh. There's Thorin ofcourse, Balin is the wise guy, Dwalin is the bald guy and Bombur is the merry ball of jelly. Kili or Fili, who had that thing with the elf and yeah... 7 other dwarves and of those total 13, we actually get to know only a few of them.

Next on our agenda is the music (pay attention James! [just kidding :D]). Howard Shore has unfortunately kinda joined the cashcow train with PJ. The score of LOTR was amazing, there were all sorts of various pieces that really set the mood, even things like themes for races so to speak. In The Hobbit though, I feel like they replay 1-2 songs all over again, just in different versions.

So in conclusion, they could've done it better, but they decided to milk the lotr-hype. The eternal,unquestionable and undoubtable love that I have with LOTR does not carry on too well to these movies. Sure, I'll do The Hobbit + LOTR marathon, but while LOTR was a masterpiece, Hobbit is just good.

Oh and one last thing, everyone have their own opinion and such, but if someone seriously says that The Hobbit is better than Lord of the Rings... I... I just don't want to live on this planet anymore then. D:
"Ha ha! Little graveyard humor there!"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit Rant (SPOILERS!)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 03:59:29 PM »
I will totally write more later, but I will say this - I enjoyed the Hobbit films, but I think now that it's done, it's glaringly obvious that spinning it into three films was a terrible idea.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 04:09:31 PM »
only thing I have to say is
I loved all the movies, some more than others
BUT NEVER was the hobbit made for kids in said terms,

i just await The Silmarillion trilogy and I hope they dont do it but it does explain how all races came to exist which is nice, but again none of these books were children's reading material, not suuure where ya got that idea.. at all :P
from the pc game? lol  shrug

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silmarillion
they never stick to the books though most of the dialog is right out of the books

however like the new she elf in love with the dwarf WTF
no in the book she didnt exist, and that dwarf.. died from poisoning.. never lived to the end to give me a tear jerking IS THIS LOVE THEN I DONT WANT IT  .. WHY DOES IT HURT SO MUCH..  because it was real!
ahhh made me miss my wife FRIGGEN MOVIE, tried to get out the house and escape reality not have it tossed in my face!

anyway if you have to judge movies like this 1 by 1 they SUCK, but all combined = good movie
sad as bt says this should have just been 1 movie not 3.. and lotr 1 movie per book was fine, why make 1 book into 3 for hobbit? thats like 9 movies for lotr then sheesh

btw mate my CE master box set from when I was a kid (not a normal kid as I read really insane things like guns germs and steel early on in life) thats hard reading.. but I digress, the hobbit was PART of the series in those CE boxes  yes yes I know its a standalone book, but it came with them and none are truly easy reading, esp with indexes in back to explain words or locations etc,
I find JRR just amazing for his work, and creations, same with giger, same with synder, same with dart-thornton (kq style writing)

all in all the last movie was more closure and an opening for the LOTR, didnt need to be there all this coulda been done in 1 movie just cut out the newly made she elf whom I dislike that they just added without care for JRR's work, and tada you just saved 100 min of pointless sappy dialog.

shrug

all in all also i loved all the movies if you can muster them in hd 3d and sit and watch em all at once.
which is almost impossible. lol

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 04:59:09 PM »
Let me preface with this, I love The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.  I loved the LotR movies as well.  one of the best movie adaptation of a book I have seen, ever.  With that being said, I saw the first Hobbit movie and have not seen any other, nor am I likely to do so.  It was terrible.  Period.  I would much trather watch the amazing cartoon version from my childhood. 
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

DosboxLetsPlay

• Villain
  • Liked: 72
  • Hero of Gloriana
    • DosboxLetsPlay
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/dosboxletsplay
    • View Profile
  • Favorite Game: Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 07:37:05 PM »
@Kaldire Well, about the children's book part, it seems that you know your way around wikipedia with that link and all, so I'll just quote the first sentence from The Hobbit wiki page:
"The Hobbit, or There and Back Again is a fantasy novel and children's book by English author J. R. R. Tolkien."

So I guess from that and the fact that when I was younger it was read to me & I also read it are the main sources where I get the understanding that it's a children's book. :P

My point is that the movies attempted to make it a lot more epic, but it is a bit meh... (it's good, but meh)
"Ha ha! Little graveyard humor there!"

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 08:31:23 PM »
People take this shit way too seriously.  As an adult, I would not want to watch a simplified, child-oriented version of the Hobbit--the old cartoon bores me to tears.  So, if they can amp up the sex, violence, and darkness for a more adult audience, I'm all for it.  I'd also be okay if they swapped the elves for children of the forest, the dwarves for wildlings, and changed the name of Middle Earth to Westeros.  Also, more boobs, please.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 01:09:40 AM »
The Hobbit is most assuredly a children's book, the preface to the novel says "Bilbo Baggins has taken his place among the ranks of the immortals of children's fiction."

There won't be a Silmarilian movie. The rights lie with the Tolkien estate who have stated many times they hate the LOTR movies. The Hobbit and LOTR movie rights were sold by JRR back in the 60's, but none of his other work has been. And at least for the foreseeable future (the life of Christopher Tolkien at least) I very much doubt they will be. He sees these as stories his father told him as a child, not the epic fantasy we all see it as, and any version is never going to measure up to those childhood memories. A common misconception I've seen Peter Jackson address is the use of material from the Silmarilian in the LOTR and Hobbit movies. He takes it from the appendices of Return of the King which is similar in nature to the Silmarilian but is covered by the rights the studios hold.

I've watched all three at the movies, and while there were moments I enjoyed I doubt I'd bother watching them all again. My biggest issue is that it's just way too long. 3 movies with that source material meant they had to throw in all that extra shit with the wizards / elf lords fighting the dark lord and while that was cool it really wasn't tied into the Hobbit story at all. The pacing of the entire trilogy was off because of the 3 movie thing, it should have been edited a lot tighter and faster. It's an action / adventure story, getting to the mountain, defeat the dragon and the battle of the five armies. Bam, done. That's a fast movie (or pair of movies if you wanted to). I think over the 8+ hours in those movies you could easily cut out 3 hours, if not more.

As for specific issues: Legolas jumping over the barrels and again in the last movie jumping up the falling bridge looked like cheap Crash Bandicoot CGI. The CGI in the major battles looked very cut and paste, there wasn't the attention given like in LOTR to make the soldiers all look individual. The scene where Thorin gets his gold madness under control was 10 minutes long - cut it down for crying out loud. It's him standing there thinking for 10 minutes. And the defeat of Smaug should have NEVER EVER EVER been at the start of the third movie. It was just tacked on and felt stupid fucking crazy.

I don't have a problem amping it up a bit for an adult audience, but amping it up shouldn't equate to padding it out, which is the way it went.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Fizzii

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1039
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 02:21:13 AM »
Yep, I fell asleep during the first movie, which was airing on free TV on Saturday. I actually watched the second movie last year and thought that the cliffhanger was terrible, and when I saw the third movie, felt that the beginning really should have gone into the end of the second one. That said, there wasn't much else happening during the third movie, which was probably why they did it like that.

Agree that it should have been one movie, pacing was too slow a lot of the time.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 08:35:55 AM »
when i think CHILDREN'S book?
I think like peter rabbit and tom n jerry stuff, or winny the pooh etc
thats what I meant there
(there is an ORIGINAL hobbit in the estate that also was not released as the movie or in the book format and was indeed part of the book I linked up there, which is darned hard reading but yea vs the others it was converted to childrens books if by children you mean 8th grade or so, depending on reading level, but by then I was reading biographies and piers anthony thats not real easy reading lol
ahh being a green mother, ohh ill have to pick that one up again

Oh and trust me I know all about the JRR estate and how the Silmarilian wont be made into a movie! trust mee it was kinda a joke! as that book is prolly the hardest to read as its mainly a guide to middle earth before all
BUT there was talk about publishing short movies based on the unfinished works which were found at his death in his study, have you read that book? its great! tons of stuff that if only he had the chance, kinda like a tweaker just kept starting projects and never finishing them lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfinished_Tales

I still wished that Zilpha Synder didnt die just last November, or we would be watching the green sky trilogy which imo would be a worthy epic saga up there with the best of the best
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Sky_Trilogy

also Cecilia dart-thornton has been trying to get her ill made mute into a movie forever now, which would also be awesome if they just did that book and stopped there
if no one has read the ill made mute and you love KQ stuff, check that out
part of the bitterbynde trilogy.. which I got sucked into those books she even signed 3 of em and mailed them from australia for me! whoop
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ill-Made_Mute
and hey the old cartoons were hand drawn by the same dude that did urmm wizards which was bad arse
Wizards for those wanting to watch a kick butt movie with the same artist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgol5_00prc
poster

Last Unicorn!

THE HOBBIT= really?
no one remembers that the new SHE elf was just created out of thin air?
ahhh

anyway thats what I meant by it not being a children's book, this isnt where the sidewalk ends or something.

but yaya I get your drift,

where theres a whip  WHIPCRACK  theres a way... (this song was sang at the TTG office a few times haha)  we dont wanna go to WORK TODAY  (instead of war).. but our whip master says NAY NAY NAAYYYY

boring yes but that song rocks

how about The Last Unicorn?  idk mate I did go to the bookstore and the hobbit was NOT in the CHILDREN'S section. its in fantasy listed as age 15+ for recommended reading by barnes and noble
i GUESS 15+ is a child but thats not what mine would say at age 14.. but yea children's is a loose term but yep for sure I must concede to that point, just my version of children's books are not what the hobbit is, again its more like barney or strawberry shortcake.

PS sorry for the long post this just made me think of so many old stories I want to re-read or see
helps my brain get off.. the real world bad stuff for a bit.

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 04:30:49 AM »
I've not seen this trilogy, though I seem to have a hobbit of missing out watching the third of the lord of the rings all the way through.
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 09:23:53 AM »
hahaha nice joke 
I mean wordplay

habit hobbit?  lol

nice
wait did you mean you didnt even watch the lord of the rings?

and why has no one mentioned the she elf again? this confuses me she ISNT IN THE BOOK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tauriel

quote from that and my head hurts seeing her on screen  both heads hurt  AHEM ROHEEMMM ahck

"The character does not appear in the original book, but was created by Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh as an expansion of material adapted from the book, and first appears in the second film in that trilogy,"

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 06:20:54 AM »
I'm waiting for the novel adaption
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 07:10:14 AM »
?
you mean the movie book ver vs the original?

yea that would suck imo!

but those are meant for kids who want to see pictures not read a book, if thats what you mean

and why is it no one has commented on the newly created she elf, and how the dwarf really dies vs the movie crap, ahh noo
i mean really, making up characters is one thing but in JRR's wake? he is rolling in his grave to be sure over that character.