Author Topic: Quest for Glory related fan projects  (Read 41436 times)

Blake00

• Lackey
  • Liked: 35
    • https://www.youtube.com/c/BlakesSanctum
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
Re: Quest for Glory fan projects
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 02:21:32 AM »
Hit escape to bring up a menu of buttons that if you hold the mouse over it will tell you what each do, one of them is 'Save' which allows you to save in about 5 different slots. Can be buggy sometimes but it does work.

And yeah most of the time you lose battles (making it feel extra special when you do win lol) but fortunately they made you invulnerable anyway hehe.

The worst bug for me in Win7 was where the mouse cursor would become super slow in all chat menus, didn't seem to happen when I played it in my WinXP VM though thank goodness otherwise making all those videos would have been a nightmare lol.

PS Have updated my Hero6 page with those DLLs incase others wish to try the demo. Sadly GrimQuest was not backed up on the internet archive so its gonna take some time I don't have atm digging out some replacements for those dead links as I know he had some threads in various forums that would still be around. I also have a copy of his alpha demo that worked without needing a connection to his server. However I'm not sure where I could stick it online.. maybe rapidshare or something hmm..

Blake's Sanctum - Quest For Glory Series:
fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 03:45:13 AM »
I'm not going to say that sounds like a grim task, I'm going to think it but I'm not going to say it
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 08:30:28 AM »
Let me know - I could provide you some server space to host a file or two.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 05:18:55 AM »
Cheers mate, I'll have a look at my files and PM ya. :)

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 11:54:35 PM »
Hey guys I could use some advice. I'm stuck in a bit a situation and it’s dawned on me that there are some very talented webpage coders here who are fans of my site who could help me!

To play all the music on my site I've always just used the old embedding technique that I was taught back in the day to play my midis and mp3s. This has always caused the issue that the site required people to have quicktime installed to play the midis. I've always wanted to make the music more accessible to all and so I was thrilled 4 or 5 years back when they brought out the whole html5 audio tags however I quickly discovered they don't support midi which 3/4 of the music on my site is (being mainly a retro gaming fan site).

Every year I try to find a solution eg checking if html5 has added support for midi (which I’m guessing it never will), is there better code, or a freely available java web based player that plays midis but I never find anything that works or is easy to understand. I knew the day was coming that this problem would get bigger and sadly it looks like today is that day! Quicktime have just updated to 7.4.4 and in that update their midi playing support appears to have become broken. As a result any page on my website that has a midi (which is most) crashes the quicktime plugin and quicktime being its usual awesome self takes the bloody browser with it (jams up a bit later forcing you to restart it). So now I have a website that crashes peoples computers, not cool.

When I posted about the problem on the quicktime support forums I just got burned by quicktime ass lickers refusing to admit this is a result of a bug in the new version and would simply rather pay me out for using old code and not offer a better alternative. So I figured I’d come here!

Is there newer better code that I could use that supports midi and hopefully won’t crash quicktime? Or is there another alternative to play the midis on the website without quicktime that gives me player controls (so visitors can stop the music if they want, like it is now)? Or am I going to have to accept that fact that I’m going to need to convert the midis to mp3 and if so do you guys know a good way I could go about it (eg keeping the file size small without ruining the quality of the midi too much)?

I should point out that I only know basic html from a course I did 12 years ago lol, anything advanced on my site is taken from guide sites for html or java tricks. So you’ll need to dumb down your answers a bit for me lol!
Here's an example of my old code from my main QFG page (that puts the player controls over in the top right of the page):
<div align="right">
<embed src="QFG1GM3.MID" autostart="true" loop="false" height="20" width="150">
</div>

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 02:26:30 AM »
MIDI is dying, as you seem to have realized. You cannot select the MIDI device on Win7 without a registry edit or third party software. From what I have heard it is harder or even impossible on Win8. Additionally, many have poor MIDI hardware on their machines.

One obvious solution would be to simply make recordings of the MIDIs. For the pre-GM games you could use the MUNT QT app to play the MIDIs on for recording for Roland sound. You can get the SysEx files for Quest Studios. to do this. For the GM tracks, If you do not have a EMU capable sound card, there are applications to load decent SoundFonts.

This is what I did for SHP, though I am using flash instead of HTML5. At some point I should probably convert everything to OGG and do HTML5. I have not seen any statistics, but I would imagine that enough people are now using HTML5 capable browsers to warrant moving to to it.

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 04:08:37 AM »
lol that conversion sounds joyfully complicated. At least in QFG's case there are websites with many of the midis already converted to mp3/ogg's etc.. its the other games I'm gonna need to figure out the converting.

Also is there options for player controls when using html5 audio tags? When I experimented with them a few years back it just played the mp3 in the background. Not everyone loves music blaring when they load a page lol so I'd like to give them the option to stop it playing like they can with embedded controls.

Broomie

• Chief Administrator
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 581
    • https://www.facebook.com/brooomie
    • broomie
    • https://twitter.com/jbroomie/
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/JBroomie
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 08:55:05 AM »
You could try a MP3 widget? I've never dealt with these before but if it's one MP3 per page (ie QFG4 theme mp3 on QFG4 page) it looks quite straight forward. If it's a playlist or you want a choice of every song I'm sure there are some here that can help with that. I'm at work at the moment so can't really look into this but this site looks a good place to start.

http://www.widgetbox.com/tag/music%20player
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »
lol that conversion sounds joyfully complicated. At least in QFG's case there are websites with many of the midis already converted to mp3/ogg's etc.. its the other games I'm gonna need to figure out the converting.

Also is there options for player controls when using html5 audio tags? When I experimented with them a few years back it just played the mp3 in the background. Not everyone loves music blaring when they load a page lol so I'd like to give them the option to stop it playing like they can with embedded controls.
No conversion needed. Just record it while playing the MIDI. In the case of QfG2, play it through MUNT to record it.

I have not really done anything in HTML5 yet, but Wikimedia uses HTML5 and it has controls. The parts of YouTube that are HTML5 do as well. BTW, autostart for sound on web pages is usually considered a no-no.

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 02:07:13 AM »
Thanks guys. In the end I went with the widget style flash mp3 player that had good customisable colour options allowing me to change its look to the theme of each page. Being flash it obviously won't work on a lot of mobile phones but neither did the quicktime midis so nothing's changed there haha. One day I'll find something easy that works on everything lol!

A mate sent me a really good midi to mp3 converter website that I used to convert all my midis to mp3s making them all actually sound considerably better than they did. Although due to me trying to minimise the space taken (4k midis became 3mb mp3s grr) I had to compress them down to pretty much the lowest quality mp3s you can do which sucks but oh well. At least now everyone with a PC will get the music.

Oh and I know autoplay is considered a no no. I guess I've always ignored that rule on my site because its a small low traffic site and I find music so important in creating that immersion factor that makes you feel like your almost back in the game when you visit the page. I haven't received any angry complaints yet over the years so I guess people 'get' what I try to achieve haha. I always make sure I have visible player controls to allow people to stop the music if they are annoyed.

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 04:23:53 AM »
Hey everybody! 1.5 years on since my last big update to my Quest for Glory Page and amazingly I've found a whole bunch of new projects and materials so its time for another one! As always thank you to everyone that contacts me with new information! :)

New QFG related projects found:
- Betrayed Alliance - Full tribute page created! Brilliant new & finished QFG1 style SCI game.
- QFG6 Hero's Legend - New project recreating Silmaria in 3D using own engine.
- Heroism: The Art of De-Fence - Full tribute page created! Cool 3D QFG project using the Unity engine. Attracted the attention of the Coles!
- Quest for Glory 1 Extended - AGS remake of QG1 with open mountain pass & extended areas like QFG4.5. Don't know more details. Author ignored attempts to contact.
- Unknown QFG Project: By Dormant - AGS QFG title. Don't know name or details. Author ignored attempts to contact.
- Legacy of Glory - 3D QFG style game. Don't know more details. Author ignored attempts to contact.
- Unknown QFG Project: By Jimbeanus - AGS QFG title. Don't know name or details. Author ignored attempts to contact.

Changes made:
- General - Updated music to mp3, fixed broken links, switched to java frames, forced frame loading, 'sneaky' linking redirects to entry page
- Original QFG1,2,3,4 & 5 - Finally finished my maps! Created slideshow videos with high quality QFG music that show many screenshots that didn't make it to the site.
- Mage's Initiation: Reign Of The Elements - Stunning new pictures found
- Heroine's Quest - Split both Heroine's Quest projects to 2 different tribute pages at authors request. Recorded video of rare Legend of Fair Spring demo.
- Quest for Infamy - Decided to do the same & split QFI pages which means my old 'damp brigand cave theme' QFI page is back from the dead! Stunning new pictures found
- Hero6 - Project re-activated by new team! New demo & more long lost demos found.
- Quest for 3D - New pictures released
- Grim Quest - New graphics & story. New pictures & demo released
- Quest for Glory 1 - 2.5D - New test video released. New host found for demo.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 06:58:21 AM »
Does Hero-U really count as a QFG style game, considering everything we've heard about it suggests it will neither look nor play like a QFG game?

urm what have you all seen lambo, s_d and blake?

Ive talked to the team a bit in its early stages, and I can safely say that QFI doesnt resemble much of QFG if you want to get down to it..
does it have some things, yep
same as heroines quest, that was again to me more QFG status than QFI, and most seem to agree in this manner, though i still prefer QFI.

But im kinda lost how you could say that just because of a games looks, and that its not in the same style as yours, or others, that its not a QFG slotted style game!

that shocks me, quite a bit.
esp since they are the original creators of heros quest.
but im not sure if you are beta testing it or something and its just so out to left field that its more like loom or something
As far as i see its a QFG slotted game to be sure.It belongs on that list, and if it doesn't belong on the list QFI doesn't :(
So it does!
Again unless I'm missing something, and I feel I am. This is not an attack against QFI! Just curious now what makes 3 awesome people suggest Hero-U shouldnt be on that list!

Confusion sets in.
Lemme or us know if you know something we don't about that hero-u
they even have MEEPS which well, just having that alone makes it qfg slotted.

And blake00 awesome!
Just ty for the works and hosts etc, and putting the lists together, man o man Ive never seen a series with so many off-slings "mmmmhmmm I liked fried taters mmmhmmm"
off-slings.. to slingblade ahem nm
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 07:20:06 AM »
Hero-U isn't an adventure game, it's an RPG. That's the way it was sold in their KS, so if that's the case, it's not like QFG regardless of whether the original authors have created it.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 07:26:48 AM »
urmm..well

I do remember a convo on here with BT and you and a few others stating that QFI was AN RPG game.
But I see what is going on after a quick look at the forums.
They are using the unity engine? for .. ahhh noo

It was sold as an advent RPG as your game and all the other qfg series is sold klytos
but looking at some screens and posts just now, it looks more like. DIABLOW 1 or 2
ick...

so yea, uhh

but dont use the "its an RPG not an adventure" as this discussion was made by BT that yes indeed QFI is an RPG.

From bossman
   Re: What is your favorite rpg series?  « Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 06:56:40 AM »

"Having programmed on QFI, I can definitely say that QFG does count as an RPG.  YEP."
Bt-

BUT after reviewing screens and posts... just wow they went in the wrong direction.
Corey even said they should have dumped UNITY and went ags
(which they should have)

ick ick ick

either way klytos mate, saying its an RPG and therefore not like QFG, kinda sounds as nuts as most of my posts!

as oh, MOST of the QFG spinoffs I have played are RPG dominate adventure games (but if you are saying that there is no adventure in an rpg again I'm lost) esp after that long thread about how QFI was indeed more RPG than advent. And how one cant really have one without the other.
BUT if this is really more like hack n slash rpg, then yes ick..

And this must be pretty, hard to swallow seeing how your fav game is hero's quest!
man what a let down from them.
AGS FTW!
hehe
(btw it was not sold as a pure RPG on KS, sorry on that one. I know, I backed it.. nothing major but it was slated to be like ultima classics mixed with adventure games

thats how corey explained it anyway
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 07:55:42 AM »
I said QFI was a role playing adventure game.  Which it is.  It has RPG elements and adventure game elements.

Also, did you notice that Lambo's quote you used is a few months shy of two years old?

Bt