Author Topic: Why would you guys stop making games when there is renewed interest these days?  (Read 17471 times)

roeadventue32

• Villain
  • Liked: 23
    • View Profile
Why would you guys stop making games when there is renewed interest these days?

I know there are many, many idiots out there, and this is not mainstream stuff they would like but that should only encourage you to be honest.

You guys have decent taste, keep making your games, there is a future in it. DON'T LISTEN TO PEOPLE TOO STUPID TO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE EVEN PLAYING...who had no reason to pick up this type of game to begin with, which is perfectly what it was intended to be.

You guys probably did a better job on this than was done on quest for glory 3, actually you did for a fact...at least your game dose not close down all the time giving the error you did something we did not expect.

I mean really. Just don't let things get you down, you guys are right helpful bastards actually.
I am a one note man, I play it all I can.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Not enough of that "interest" translated into funds to continue the business of making games...   :(

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
I thought the tearm did well and were mostly funded? Succeeded where many failed?

There is this weirdo making a decent looking game, well almost, called rides with strangers got funded a while ago...prob more than needed, considering what it takes for a game like quest for infamy, which would take a lot considering its type.

He dose almost no pr. Steam is going strong and people are making a fortune of idiotic games with lego looking block men.

If a team like this gos under I don't know if I should cry or laugh.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
There's no easy answer to this.

Bottom line: These games need to sell more. They're not. Steam isn't a get rich scheme, it's a place where if a game is released and doesn't make a big splash straight away, it's going to drop off the front page and down the search results and linger.

Where's the renewed interest you speak of? I don't see it. I see some new adventure games make a splash, but even critically successful ones aren't selling any reasonable amounts (Kathy Rain for example).

Assume that the hard-core adventure game fans all buy a copy of our games (which they don't - simply based on the number of people in Adventure groups on Facebook compared to our sales), we still need to crack into the wider general market somehow. We don't need to sell millions of games. But we need to sell enough to cover our production time and pay our workers.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
Honestly you would know better than I, I suposse just because people keep releasing them and getting funded dose not mean they actually make a real profit.

I suppose I am a fan of your stuff, and it saddens me you are not going to be able to at least make your new planed order games at least a trilogy, it deserves that.

I wish there was a marketing strategy that could be used to make it happened aimed at older players. I really cant stand the failure of imagination of many as of late and poor taste. More about things that don't matter than story and content.

Metaphorically speaking, I bet a lot of these guys could not sit through a wonderful play but might manage a musical. Those that could not see past stage settings to enjoy the games play and story.

Sad, sick world, as one of my favorite cartoon females would say.

You guys are just too good for this to happen. Its bs you deserve better. You put too much into this.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
well lets hope that you cool cats dont let your TALENTS die out even if IQS is going away!

such talent mates truly.

huge hugssss

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

shoptroll

• Lackey
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
Honestly you would know better than I, I suposse just because people keep releasing them and getting funded dose not mean they actually make a real profit.

I don't have any source for this, but my general impression is that most of the projects that get "funded" low-ball their expenses on KS so it's easier to get some sum of money.  The expectation then is that employees will either defer their wages or contribute part-time and make up for it if/when the game does well.

Making games is really expensive even with lower requirements and a small team.  Even something like Thimbleweed Park which raised ~$625k only had roughly enough to cover salaries for their team for about 2 years of development work after KS and Amazon took their cut of the money raised.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
We did that with QFI but for OOTT only Steve and Myself were using the profits from the sales to maintain a wage, everyone else was paid up front.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
We did that with QFI but for OOTT only Steve and Myself were using the profits from the sales to maintain a wage, everyone else was paid up front.

You would literally have to do something else to fund this, and do it for the love of the art and whatever profits you happen to revive. There are easier legitimate ways to make money online.

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile

You would literally have to do something else to fund this, and do it for the love of the art and whatever profits you happen to receive.

There are easier legitimate ways to make money online as you doubtlessly know.

You have to love what you do in any case for others to fall in love with it, same for writing, it shows. I think you guys do, to be honest.

The actual truth is I am a published writer, my punctuation and even spelling in real life is horrible btw. I type and speak into a recording device I pay someone to structure this, this is a cost I incur that initially was over my advances.

I did not let this stop me but kept at it until this was no longer the case.

My subject matter, is also not mainstream you know.

I used to be a info seller in the old days of such pre internet. I was not a cheat I followed up, and I made money.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
Love of the art is great, and it's gets people started. I don't think it keeps people going. I do agree with you, sometimes you have to push through and keep chipping away until it starts to work. The truth is though there has to be a point where chipping away just turns into blindly not paying attention to the reality. We've been making games for close to 15 years, we built a fan base through the remakes which were downloaded hundreds of thousands of times each. But those hundreds of thousands of free remake downloads hasn't equated to much more than 1000 copies of a $10 King's Quest clone (OOTT). That's not sustainable.

I would like to keep going, I love making games and I love the style we do it in. I don't think there's a wage in it. At least evidence I've seen doesn't seem to indicate there is.

shoptroll

• Lackey
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
But those hundreds of thousands of free remake downloads hasn't equated to much more than 1000 copies of a $10 King's Quest clone (OOTT). That's not sustainable.

:(

I expect that Himalaya is in a similar situation.

I would like to keep going, I love making games and I love the style we do it in. I don't think there's a wage in it. At least evidence I've seen doesn't seem to indicate there is.

I think the only one in the retro-adventure sector who's been reasonably successful is Wadjet Eye, and Dave's definitely benefited from the name recognition that came from being early on the "pro" scene.  Even then, they're not making crazy money since he only added a couple extra hands in the last year or two.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
why arent publisher involved im lost

this is where they should be helping

join Nightdive studios or somefin!

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Vesko

• Recruit
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
Can you continue making games in your free time without fancy graphics, voice or soundtrack. The story is what is the most important in the adventure games and I would love to see more adventure games.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Can you continue making games in your free time without fancy graphics, voice or soundtrack. The story is what is the most important in the adventure games and I would love to see more adventure games.

I think the good folks at Infamous Quests would rather continue making games in their PAID time...