Author Topic: Oculus Rift  (Read 11700 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Oculus Rift
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:31:46 PM »
So, if you haven't heard about this, the Occulus Rift is a set of Virtual Reality "glasses" or headset that was funded in a very successful Kickstarter Last year.  (Goal=$250,000 - final take $2.5 million +)

Check out their website here, and see the video for more detailed information. http://www.oculusvr.com/

Now, this appears popular due to the money raised, but me - I couldn't give a crap, really.  In fact, I've documented my preference for the disconnect between man and machine, especially in gaming, but I hear people cry all the time "Immersion, Immersion, Immersion...." about their games.

For me, one of the things I liked about gaming was knowing it was a fantasy - I don't like to believe things that happen in video games are real.  I do like to have an emotional connect to the content, but I like to have my feet firmly planted in reality.  Devices like the Occulus Rift, to me, just seem to promote more isolation and immersion into a world that is not real - people often seem to have a problem making a disconnect with the way things are now. 

Plus, Virtual Reality seemed so interesting over 20 years ago.... I mean, remember that movie "The Lawnmower Man"?  Hahah....  even though the technology is better now, just because you can doesn't mean you should. 

Though I grew up with video games being the Arcade experience.  Playing video games in an arcade, especially in the early 80's, was an experience - and only 10% of it was actually playing the games.

Anyway, we have some people here I know have opinions?  Thoughts?

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Re: Oculus Rift
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »
Man, I miss me some Aladdin's Castle at the local malls...   :'(

When Sam Flynn hit the main breaker switch in "Tron: Legacy" and Flynn's Arcade lit up after all those years with all of those machines coming back to life, and Journey's "Separate Ways" started booming in the background...

...I got chills watching that on the big screen.

Kids today will NEVER know how that feels...

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:00:05 PM »
Man, I miss me some Aladdin's Castle at the local malls...   :'(

When Sam Flynn hit the main breaker switch in "Tron: Legacy" and Flynn's Arcade lit up after all those years with all of those machines coming back to life, and Journey's "Separate Ways" started booming in the background...

...I got chills watching that on the big screen.

Kids today will NEVER know how that feels...

You're ABSOLUTELY right.  That moment in Tron Legacy really pumped back some old memories for me.  I had an older brother who used to hang out at the arcade at the mall a lot in the Early 80's, and I was always his tag-along.... man, there was some magic in those machines.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 01:43:40 AM »
Oh man, who could forget Aladdin's Castle??  Geez I guess I'm officially old...

To me the whole point in playing games is to "take a break", get away from the hum-drum of every day life.  But it is just that--a break--I personally don't want a game to feel like real life.  That's probably part of why I detest modern "adventure" games, all annoying 3D-ness of it.  Too realistic.  Blechh.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 07:35:40 AM »
Yeah - you hit it right there for me, Sarah.... I think the technology that allows for such graphics is a technological marvel... but I always liked my video games NOT to resemble real-life.  I'm looking for a video game, not a simulation.

Bt

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 01:41:32 AM »
...modern "adventure" games...

Ah, be careful using that term, Sarah!  Lamb tore me a new one in another thread, for doing so  :P
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 02:09:12 AM »
...modern "adventure" games...

Ah, be careful using that term, Sarah!  Lamb tore me a new one in another thread, for doing so  :P

Haha...I don't know if I would put it quite that harshly.  ;)  I've been known to tear plenty of fans new ones, but never when they've actually financially donated (and in your case donated time, too!) to our cause.  I'll have to check myself.  ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 03:01:29 AM »
Haha...I don't know if I would put it quite that harshly.  ;) 

Just being a tad dramatic, but certainly, call me out if needed.  I'm I big boy, I can take it.

I'll have to check myself.  ;)

But then you'll be less funny...
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 04:11:29 AM »
I think the technology that allows for such graphics is a technological marvel...

I'm actually pretty excited about the Rift, but less so for it's utility in video games.  I think it could provide a pretty amazing immersive cinema experience, as well as a great tool for various simulation/visualization purposes (I'm thinking BBC's Planet Earth or similar).

It might also be fun for space sims under joystick control, at least until I completely lose track of up and down and spew chunder all over myself.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »
So, I keep seeing more buzz about the Occulus Rift VR!  People are going nuts over this.

I really don't understand the appeal - this sounds like stuff I was interested in 20 years ago when I saw the Lawnmower man.  I don't understand how this is "revolutionary".

Bt

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »
For me, you hit the head on the nail in the first post of the thread.  I love arcade games, and one of the reasons is that you can play for 15 minutes and walk away.  The games are made to be that way, instead of making you feel like you are actually a part of the game itself.  I also prefer to be disconnected.  That was one of the things that attracted me to adventure games.  I could play for a little buit, save my game, come back later.  I didn't feel like I had to play the whole game in one nigt (although, I did that from time to time too).
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 02:53:26 AM »
We've already got people who can't get away from their electronic devices.  Aside from computers I've encountered people who might just die without their phones.

How about they make games that draw you in rather than trying to draw you in with a gimmick (I may be a geek but I still mock technology). 

Then there's the old comment about second life, that some of these people might want to get a first one.
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 09:40:25 AM »
We've already got people who can't get away from their electronic devices.  Aside from computers I've encountered people who might just die without their phones.

Quoted for truth.

How about they make games that draw you in rather than trying to draw you in with a gimmick (I may be a geek but I still mock technology). 

Quoted for even more truthier truth.

Then there's the old comment about second life, that some of these people might want to get a first one.

Quoted 'cause it's funny!

Bt

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 09:58:37 AM »
I don't have a problem with the feeling of immersion in games, in the sense that it's a good measure of how engaging the story is, and how cohesive the world they created is that you could get wrapped up in it and lose track of time, but I like that barrier between me and the action.  I like to sit on my couch and hold a controller, or at my desk with my mouse and keyboard.  I don't wanna have to jump around and wave my arms like a nutjob to make things happen in-game, and wearing a big daft scuba-mask headset just to see it doesn't appeal much either.

Bottom line, you can be immersed in a game the same way you can with a film or a good book.  They don't have to strap it to your face.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 10:14:36 AM »
HAMBURGER IN MY FACE.

- Herr Schwärzdorn