Author Topic: Game Creation, or world building?  (Read 3949 times)

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
Game Creation, or world building?
« on: August 10, 2018, 03:41:45 AM »

Hi all.

I  as a unexperienced game creator, wonder at the process?  You guys have created games for years now.
i.E. ( SQ2 remake, KQ3 remake, QFI, and Order of the Thorne. All have been a success,
in my eyes if not a money/profit wise. You have all worked hard to create something unique an special. Will Roehm to Ruin to be released soon, (I hope) will this be the last hurrah for IQ? Fortress of fire??  It's bums me out that QFI and others didn't make you all any cash.  QFI is and will be the Spiritual continuation to Quest fo Glory....Only better and more snarky......Chadly
**********Chadly*********************

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: Game Creation, or world building?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:26:47 AM »
What do you want to know about the process? It differs greatly between remakes and original works for instance.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Chadly

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:50:45 PM »
@Klytos When remaking SQ2 how did you get away with all the revisions on the Asteroid, without fear of a lawsuit from owners of the I.P.? As I recall there is quite a bit of original work done to the game. (Vine monster, hidden bar, Asteroid, etc). 

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 04:29:19 AM »
We ignored Vivendi and they never said anything. :)

Honestly, there's nothing to sue when it comes to a free remake. We didn't make any money from it. The worst thing that could have happened was a cease and desist order (well, they COULD have sued us but that's not likely honestly) but in my opinion, the only people who got those were making way too much noise about their games. With the exception of Phoenix Online and The Silver Lining, where I think that was more a rabid and loud number of their fans were making way too much noise.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 09:36:44 AM »
Well, I know I have the resolve to finish up Fortress of Fire.  We have a lot of assets for it, and a story to tell - it needs to be done for me to personally feel like Order of the Thorne tells its full story.

For me, the biggest hurdle in the past two years has been my declining health; add in the fact that I had two young children during that time period too, and game development time went from "I HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD!!!" to "Maybe I can squeeze in an hour tonight after everyone's gone to bed..."

I love making games.  Making games for IA/IQ has been one of the most personally satisfying things I've ever done in my life.  If it all ended tomorrow, I'd have no regrets about it and I'd only remember how amazing it was to make games and have people from all over the world play them.  So, I'm hoping that after my next transplant, I'll have more energy and time to make games.

Bt

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 05:08:59 PM »
...the only people who got those were making way too much noise about their games. With the exception of Phoenix Online and The Silver Lining, where I think that was more a rabid and loud number of their fans were making way too much noise.

Sounds like it's a good thing that IA/IQ fans are more of the "sedated and mute" variety...

Hell, some might even go as far to say that IA/IQ fans are practically non-existent !!!

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 09:28:55 PM »
Heh, nah. We've got awesome fans who are there. I just think the POS fans at that particular time were vocal in the "Hey Vivendi, we're doing a new KQ right now and it's awesome. Give the team the rights or be forever known as evil." kind of way.

Chadly

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 11:58:22 PM »
Yup, you guys have awesome fans, like me and Goatmeal, and all the rest who still post here. Id like to see Fortress of Fire done, but with Bt health, that is unlikely in the near future. However what about Roehm to Ruin? That's almost complete?

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 05:07:44 AM »
Roehm to Ruin will be out this year. We've got one segment we (me really, I keep promising and not getting it done) to finish (we kinda added a cool little mini-game to the thing, it's fun and completely unexpected so it ticks the boxes we go for) then there's voice work and it's done. It's actually pretty polished now, with the exception of that final segment.