Author Topic: The future of Infamous Quests  (Read 10525 times)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
The future of Infamous Quests
« on: July 18, 2016, 02:05:22 PM »
Re: Blackthorne's recent QFI Kickstarter Update (July 18, 2016)
========================================

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992695780/quest-for-infamy-an-adventure-game-by-infamous-que/posts/1632654

========================================

It is truly a sad day here at the IQ forums: the release of "Quest for Infamy: Roehm to Ruin" and "Order of the Thorne: Fortress of Fire" will likely be the last games for Infamous Quests.  Unless things drastically change -- which they likely won't -- this tentative decision is, unfortunately, not wholly unexpected for all of the reasons Blackthorne gave: even if you're treading water, you're not getting ahead...

It should NEVER be forgotten that in the space of a mere 4 years, Infamous Quests was able to produce and RELEASE TWO high-quality crowdfunded graphic adventure games and is in the process of completing TWO more; other fan re-makers and retired professionals with much, MUCH more crowdfunding money haven't even completed a _single_ game* during the same period.  Despite the lack of economic viability for such games in today's marketplace, NOTHING and NO ONE can ever take this accomplishment away from the IQ team.

As an occasional fontographer for IQ and full-time fan, I thank you all for letting us be a part of this endeavor.

At least we have two more games to look forward to.  My appreciation and gratitude to the entire IQ staff for all that they have done, and as the end draws nigh, perhaps they will give us tidbits and hints as to what the last two Order of the Thorne games would have entailed...

*And to those who would minimize the IQ retro-style AGS games in comparison against the size / scope / ambition / complexity of those as-yet unreleased games, I would say that "Quest for Infamy" easily holds its own in those categories.

shoptroll

• Lackey
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
Re: The future of Infamous Quests
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 10:39:53 PM »
I'm still in shock at the news.  A sad sad day for sure :(

It should NEVER be forgotten that in the space of a mere 4 years, Infamous Quests was able to produce and RELEASE TWO high-quality crowdfunded graphic adventure games and is in the process of completing TWO more; other fan re-makers and retired professionals with much, MUCH more crowdfunding money haven't even completed a _single_ game* during the same period.  Despite the lack of economic viability for such games in today's marketplace, NOTHING and NO ONE can ever take this accomplishment away from the IQ team.

Ain't that the truth (and I say that as someone who's still looking forward those other projects).  If I had the cash I totally would offer to bankroll the last two episodes of Order. 

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 12:46:34 AM »
Hey Goatmeal, thanks for the kind words! You're right too, we have accomplished a lot with our crowd-funding unlike some other projects; some of which have gone back to the well because they ran out of money and others just haven't delivered. If I was to dig a bit deep here, I would say the failure to deliver of some of those "big names" from yesteryear has done a significant amount of damage to the entire adventure game scene.

We had already made the decision to whittle down OOTT into three games instead of four, Fortress of Fire includes some content that was going to be in the fourth game and Monk and the Mountain was going to finish the story. I'm not sure if we'll conclude the story with FoF now, we'll have to talk about that some more. It's at a stage where changing the ending of the game won't be a catastrophic problem.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

shoptroll

• Lackey
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 08:06:56 AM »
If I was to dig a bit deep here, I would say the failure to deliver of some of those "big names" from yesteryear has done a significant amount of damage to the entire adventure game scene.

There's also been some pretty massive failures in other genres (and on other services) which have poisoned the crowd-funding well for everyone :(

A bit of a longshot, but have you guys ever thought of working with Wadjet Eye?  They seem to have the biggest name recognition of the professional AGS scene and I think that's been the one of the biggest hurdles QfI and OOTT have had as far as sales.  For what it's worth, Kathy Rain has also struggled with sales so I have no doubts when you guys say it's a niche genre.

We had already made the decision to whittle down OOTT into three games instead of four, Fortress of Fire includes some content that was going to be in the fourth game and Monk and the Mountain was going to finish the story. I'm not sure if we'll conclude the story with FoF now, we'll have to talk about that some more. It's at a stage where changing the ending of the game won't be a catastrophic problem.

This would be awesome to see.  My first thought after seeing that FoF was going to be the last game was that we wouldn't get to see the end of the story.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 09:44:28 AM »
Oh no, we'll give the story completion in Fortress of Fire - we're not going to leave that a cliff-hanger.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 08:20:50 PM »
Oh no, we'll give the story completion in Fortress of Fire - we're not going to leave that a cliff-hanger.

Bt

OK, I'm proposing a big "wall of text" that's 47 screens long to wrap-up the whole planned OotT series.

Just lots and lots of reading, like "Betrayal At Krondor"...   ;)

roeadventue32

• Villain
  • Liked: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 12:47:35 PM »
OK, I asked a buddy of mine and he seems to think you should have followed up with soul focus on the quest for infamy line.

Like the prequel followed by a part two to import to, to keep interest high improving on the last instead of branching of too soon into another planed series until this was done.

Or based on limited resources simply the prequel, with an import feature to the based gamed and a planed release of part two.

Maybe the novelty of this might have been enough to keep appeal and interest high. Not that order was not a good idea, just too soon and confusing from a marketing standpoint, at this stage.

I know I am being a bit free with my advise, but I only want to help despite the presumption.
I am a one note man, I play it all I can.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 08:20:02 PM »
We didn't have the money to devote to QFI2 after QFI which is why we focused on a smaller game instead. QFI took nearly two years to make with a team of 10+ people.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 10:31:40 PM »
U cats need extra to ship the backers stuffs?
lemme know
 :o :-\ ???
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 02:32:03 PM »
We didn't have the money to devote to QFI2 after QFI which is why we focused on a smaller game instead. QFI took nearly two years to make with a team of 10+ people.

No matter what happens you did a remarkable and worth wile thing with your games contribution. I can only hope that if not continued one day it will be revisited or picked up. I was really hoping it would be like another quest for glory series, with a detailed progression and outcome for Baron Roem. If only you could get the absolute support you need from interested parties. Have you tried companies? A publisher?

Btw I was hoping to see the Baron, Baron Roem was running from shit himself with the news of Roems new position in life...hahaha.

You know, Roem taunting him at the kings palace maybe at a celebration or award ceremony.

After all Roem went through he earned it, and should at least enjoy it for a bit. Dont you think?

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 07:09:38 PM »
cant deny the quality
though sadly again the backer kits or ks stuff not going out is whole-heartedly  concerning.

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 12:05:26 PM »
cant deny the quality
though sadly again the backer kits or ks stuff not going out is whole-heartedly  concerning.

Maybe its because of development, if somebody produces a good game after such effort and a insane amount of time, trying to make more as well. It probably takes everything given and more.

I wonder if people would rather get useless fluff stuff or further delay the release of the last remaining games a company is making?

I know there is something to be said for getting what you pay for, as a point of the matter obviously, people dont like to feel  screwed, even if it its just inane memorabilia.

I would think a mention in the game would be enough if you were donating with the intent of trying to support the release of such games to play.

Yeah its free to give a shout out, but the less money the company has the longer productions takes and I would think people would rather play the game sooner than not. Such as the new Roehm to ruin game.

Its obvious to me painfully so these people are not wealthy, and are struggling to create something of value.

Yet lack of funds is why the company is tanking and if you enjoyed the games it seems it would be wise not to push this to the last extremity.

These people from what I can gather of them, would without a doubt do whatever they could to meet there obligations. 

Its my opinion that if they are not, its because they literally cannot afford to do so. Considering the announcement the issue seems distasteful.

One should go to a flea market or fair, and have your own shirt or whatever made if its that important. That is just my view.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 02:00:50 PM »
useless stuff?
idk how much you backed buy my cost wasnt very tiny, wasnt overtly large either

also im excited to get said items bt said was shipping slowly out and to watch out for, that was weeks ago though mate

and yes i have that I got screwed feeling
so ive not supported any other preorders or ks on anything since.

sadly the other side is i DO trust bt and the team, just at what point does one just go ,. ahhh and cry in a pillow?

i even offer to pay more for shipping if thats the issue even though i paid for shipping already.
seems its not the whole issue again ive been on that side of the merch fence... its hell

esp with a baby and family!

miss you bt man, hit me up  my pms go unanswered and its even more concerning.

hugsss

to roeadventue,  make my own shirt vs what im getting? or should get , not even close mate..
bad choice of words, wish serena was here to kinda point out this is the true downfall of KS backers that indeed they get nothing in the end.. and it makes them never support any games from anyone again.

but im excited, hoping one day the package will popup or bt will email me as he has done a few times
mates first
merch pusher 2nd

lol

miss you all huggss

stay in touch and plleease get out some of that stuff as promised! ty

roe dont tell people its just useless stuff, all swag technically is.
this has deeper meaning to me,

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 12:16:21 PM »
Man I am sorry that was not the point I was trying to make, the point was patience, and priority, fg course the symbolic value, of backer items is enormous.

The backers to get something regardless though, they get the game they helped to make and in this case a mention in said game.

People should get what is promised, no doubt but not at the experience of the games in my view. And yes, in a perfect world should not be the case and intentions paving the road to hell and all that. I contextually know but I also understand both sides.

I was not meaning to be a bastard with my comments btw. I suppose the flavor of them is also influenced by the companies decision to shut down, which lets me know there struggling, and few more good games from them. Sad day. :(

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 12:17:41 PM »
Man I am sorry that was not the point I was trying to make, the point was patience, and priority, of course the symbolic value, of backer items is enormous.

The backers do get something regardless though, they get the game they helped to make and in this case a mention in said game.

People should get what is promised, no doubt but not at the experience of the games in my view...And yes, in a perfect world should not be the case and intentions paving the road to hell and all that.

I contextually know, but I also understand both sides.

I was not meaning to be a bastard with my comments btw. I suppose the flavor of them is also influenced by the companies decision to shut down, which lets me know there struggling, and few more good games from them. Sad day. :(