Author Topic: Bug Reports and general feedback/thoughts  (Read 7609 times)

shoptroll

• Lackey
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
Bug Reports and general feedback/thoughts
« on: February 07, 2016, 01:20:51 PM »
Since I'd rather not pester Bt with emailed bug reports and other nitpicky things like I did with QfI here's a couple things I found.

First off though, I really liked this game and I was really happy to see the team follow through on improving the production quality of the voice recordings.  HUGE improvement over Infamy!  I'm really looking forward to Fortress of Fire now.

Bugs:

* Songs played on the lute seemed really quiet for like 90% of the game for me (was using hard mode until the very end).  I'm not sure if this is a bug or just my audio setup being out of whack although I don't recall really fiddling with the options panel that much.

* There were some random characters at the end of the text when inspecting the jar on the shelf in the general store.  I'm not sure if this was addressed in the small patch or not.

* Jumping over the river bank is a one-way trip even though the game makes it sound like it might be possible to cross back over.  (Screenshot: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=613440874)

* The rocks in the swamp room where you find the harp are labeled as "Rock 1".

Spoiler (hover to show)

Spoiler (hover to show)

Nitpicks:

* It's odd that neither the general store owner or the seer have portraits.  I thought this was odd.  Is that a restriction due to how their rooms are designed/coded?

* The "sexist prat" line when inspecting the store counter felt out of place.  I laughed, but tonally that felt more like it belongs in something with a similar tone to Quest for Infamy to me.

* I think the animation on the rivers are backwards.  I'd have to double check but I swear the narrator/description of the river or lake said water flows out of it, but the animations seem to show water flowing into the lake from the river.

Other:

* Why are we told the general store owner looked familiar?

Spoiler (hover to show)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Re: Bug Reports and general feedback/thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »
Bugs:

* Jumping over the river bank is a one-way trip even though the game makes it sound like it might be possible to cross back over.  (Screenshot: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=613440874)

When you jump from left to right, the narration specifically speaks to you jumping from the higher bank [ left ] over to the lower bank [ right ].  Maybe you can't jump high enough back to reach the left side?

I assume it's a one-way trip on purpose, because otherwise, why make a big deal about jumping the river in the first place if Finn could just as easily jump back?  If he could, why draw attention to it?; just make it part of the walk cycle for that area and make _no_ mention of it...

* I think the animation on the rivers are backwards.  I'd have to double check but I swear the narrator/description of the river or lake said water flows out of it, but the animations seem to show water flowing into the lake from the river.

I think it's almost like an optical illusion for the the troll screen and the screen to the right of the troll/above the bear.  Stare at it long enough and it appears to change direction from what you initially thought it was.

However, with the non-troll bridge and the river bank screens, it's definitely flowing away from the lake...

The top and bottom of the river on the beehive screen looks like it's flowing away from the lake, but the middle section of the river looks like it's flowing toward the lake.  Maybe reverse this part of the water animation? (Circled)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 01:06:32 PM »
* There were some random characters at the end of the text when inspecting the jar on the shelf in the general store.  I'm not sure if this was addressed in the small patch or not.

Fixed!

Yes, one bank IS higher than the other, and you can jump down, but not back.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Finn asks Glenda about potions, and she mentions the restore potion.  You can then ask more about it.

Nitpicks:

* It's odd that neither the general store owner or the seer have portraits.  I thought this was odd.  Is that a restriction due to how their rooms are designed/coded?

Cut for budget.

* The "sexist prat" line when inspecting the store counter felt out of place.  I laughed, but tonally that felt more like it belongs in something with a similar tone to Quest for Infamy to me.

It was supposed to be an easter egg line, randomly said, but ended up being the primary line.

I set the animations to run backwards now, and it looks more like they flow out.  It can be a tricky optical illusion with water animations.

Other:

* Why are we told the general store owner looked familiar?

His original portrait was based on me.  It was an in-joke.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Yes, depending on how you do things - this is to prevent any walking dead ends.  If you do some things in a certain order, you MAY have two similar run ins - they vary slightly.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

shoptroll

• Lackey
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Bug Reports and general feedback/thoughts
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:02:38 PM »
Yes, one bank IS higher than the other, and you can jump down, but not back.

Yeah, I figured that might be the case.  What's odd is that when you're on the lower side and attempt to cross back the narrator tells you that it might be possible if you stood closer.  Not sure if that's something you can address or not (I remember the gap you had to jump in the QfI mine had some wonky positional issues too).

Finn asks Glenda about potions, and she mentions the restore potion.  You can then ask more about it.

Ah!  I must've missed that or accidentally clicked during the dialogue.

Cut for budget.

Booo!  I knew I should've splurged for a higher backer tier :(

It was supposed to be an easter egg line, randomly said, but ended up being the primary line.

That makes a lot more sense.

I set the animations to run backwards now, and it looks more like they flow out.  It can be a tricky optical illusion with water animations.

Especially when it's an animation without many frames.  It's interesting that goatmeal says it's flowing in the opposite direction I thought!

His original portrait was based on me.  It was an in-joke.

So what you're saying is "wait until the enhanced edition"? ;)

(Out of curiosity how much do these portraits cost?)

Yes, depending on how you do things - this is to prevent any walking dead ends.  If you do some things in a certain order, you MAY have two similar run ins - they vary slightly.

That explains what happened then.  Nice touch and I really liked how you and your team tried to make sure the game had no dead ends.

Oh!  And is this game supposed to have an intentional 80's cartoon feel in some spots?  The theme song and the ending sequence/epilogue all made me feel like a kid again :)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 01:01:27 PM »
Yeah, I designed the intro and credits to remind me of the cartoons I grew up with - Dungeons & Dragons, Vol-Tron, Galaxy Rangers, M.A.S.K.  James Mulvale, the composer, worked with me - I wanted to embrace the 80s feel in fantasy music by artists like Vangelis, Tangerine Dream and Giogio Moroder... I think he nailed it.  I wanted it to feel like a Saturday Morning Cartoon... so hearing you say that warms the heart!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

gweedo767

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 02:37:27 PM »
I just beat Order of the Thorne: The Kings Challenge and really enjoyed it (Loved the Quest for Glory games as a kid).  I got 12 of the 13 Steam achievements organically, but missed Honor Student by getting the cloak and just heading straight back to the boat on accident.  I started up a new game, went to the Island and moused over all the stones to see all the names, but the achievement isn't popping.  Any ideas?