Author Topic: Why would you guys stop making games when there is renewed interest these days?  (Read 17467 times)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Here's a little no-frills text adventure game:

====================
"INDIE ADVENTURE GAME DEVELOPER 2016"

Start
You are a small, independent video game developer.  Though you have some dedicated
fans, you are not making enough money back on your investments of time and effort to
make ends meet.  Do you (C)ontinue to make games, or e(X)it the game business?
?> __

====================

C
You continue to make games at a loss, because everyone nowadays wants everything
for free.  Due to lack of funds, you eventually lose your car, then your house.  Slowly
starving to death in the gutter, you become resentful at the decision you have made.
Play again (Y/N)?

X
You exit the game business, because everyone nowadays wants everything for free.
Holding your head up high, you remain satisfied with the knowledge that at least the
high-quality of your games gave immense enjoyment to your few paying fans.
Play again (Y/N)?

====================

©2016 GAG ME - The Goatmeal Adventure Game Media Enterprise

Watch for my upcoming Kickstarter!

Fizzii

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1039
    • View Profile
Can you continue making games in your free time without fancy graphics, voice or soundtrack. The story is what is the most important in the adventure games and I would love to see more adventure games.

I think the good folks at Infamous Quests would rather continue making games in their PAID time...
Not just that, but it's normally the programming that takes the longest time and cost in any project. Not the graphics (this is low res after all) or the voice acting. Animation normally comes second in cost after programming.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
well it all takes time truly
on the dev side (which ive been)
usually testing is the longest and most costly process outside of sales/pr

so if retailing CE boxes of idk fallout new vegas.. or something has tons of stuff in it( and it does)
the costs of making that and selling it are super high
even if they dont do it themselves in house (saving some of the cost but as shown in the QFI backer kits not showing up still, doing it in house takes TIME and money to boot, just not as much money but..
time = money imo
soo

its best to leave merch to outside sources if possible or go pure digital no merch

if pure digi then yep testing and patching takes loads of time vs say, just programing ags

getting animations correct also harder part esp on higher end games
sound = almost nothing unless you do a home made track like bt singing in his tub  love qfi ost whoot..

personally its sad and I think a good publisher is the key to success but it does mean signing a deal with satan in a way. ips here you go you own em, now help us!!
plss

nightdive knows whats up, idk but they hit some high end niches and arent to bad off
system shock revamp on its way 2.8 mil KS funded. + internal backing. and of course help from tons of people including the original writer and dev.

hope bt is ok, and family
my best to everyone and their loved ones

hold em while you can mate
like games and companies, they could vanish anytime.
love love love

best wishes and flying fishes
kal-
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Vesko

• Recruit
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
Can you continue making games in your free time without fancy graphics, voice or soundtrack. The story is what is the most important in the adventure games and I would love to see more adventure games.

I think the good folks at Infamous Quests would rather continue making games in their PAID time...

Of course they would rather continue making games in their  PAID time but if they don't get enough profit then it would be better to continue in their free time. I supported both projects and I will be glad to continue to do so, I do not want everything for free and I will always buy games from Infamous Quests.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Problem is, free time is pretty much non-existant these days. At all.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Sektor

• Recruit
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
I wonder how much of a market is missed by not having mobile and console versions of you current games.  If you ever make another game, it should really be on an engine that is easily portable and suited to more platforms.

I'd have a lot of trouble coming up with a full story and good puzzles for more games but if you have all that then it's a real shame if you can't get enough funding to make them a reality.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
yep and as I  said time = money and greater
hence why ive seen that merch side of the fence, ughh it can take even the best of companies down

hope all are happy and healthy.

without happiness what the hell are we here for?

:)

peace  love   empathy

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Will people still care if we released nothing for 5+ years? I really don't think so and that's the realistic time frame for a game even the smaller size of OOTT if we worked on it part-time, a few hours a week. Our SQ2 remake too about that time frame and that wasn't even designing a game, just remaking which is a much easier task.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
odd attitude s man,
will people still care?

you kidding?

answer
Yes lots of people will care. And do care. Not that it takes a long time but that you might go away.
speaking in a self defeatist generality isnt your style!

also 5+ years? kinda been going on 3+ for this anyway and well, lots of fans still here and love your works

also your syntax is off !  "our  sq2 remake too"  too? took?  seems sleep or angst might be getting the better of ye matey

and wow didnt realize it was that long for the remake of sq2..
but saying stuff as broad as
will people still care if we.... or if we dont.. etc

kinda putting everyone in a box, even your fans. vs the avg cod CS GO nutjob
no they wont care. they never played an advent in their life.

but lots of us.. will and have cared in this process,
shrug

you seem blue, not your style !

more mine!

peace and happiness find you matey

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
No, I'm not putting everyone in a single box. I'd suggest your post itself is putting people in that box by buying into the argument that COD fans are nutjobs because they won't play adventure games, when the truth is people are complex and are quite capable of playing and enjoying more than one genre. Take these forums as one example of our fans. There's three regular posters here, besides team members. And while we appreciate that, it's not exactly "lots of us" as you put it. There aren't "lots" of adventure game fans out there willing to buy games. I don't even think it's adventure games, I think it's games in general. Your attitude to people who play Go or COD is another example. They're not nutjobs. They're gamers who like different games to you. I play shooters, I just finished FarCry 4 quite recently, I'm working through DOOM at the moment. That doesn't negate that I love adventure games too and have played a few of those recently too.

People had to wait 6 months for OOTT, a game that's sold barely 1000 copies. I stand by my comment, they're not going to wait 5 years for a sequel. They're not going to care in 10 years if we got a QFI2 done. People move on, and their interests move on.

shoptroll

• Lackey
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
Yeah 5+ years is a long time for a game to be in the oven.  I was really excited for The Witness and SpyParty when they were announced years ago.  I completely skipped Witness when it came out earlier this year, and I expect the same will happen with SpyParty.  Same thing has happened with more Kickstarters than I can count at this point *sigh*.

I'd much rather the IQ team get paid to do what they love than to expect them to effectively work two jobs and not get paid for one of them.  That's not right.  That said, I won't say no to another IQ game on a smaller scale if any of you get the itch again to do so on the side :)

The whole situation sucks.  You guys do good work and that hasn't paid off.  I know most start-ups don't last but it's still heartbreaking to see.  I'm still naively hoping that a miracle or something will happen before end of the year.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
still at the attack shawn?
seriously?

its called generally speaking.
Its not like you imo, to be so negative on yourself or your genre ie adventure games.

yes there are LOTS of advent fans, lots..

and MOST of the kids im speaking about spend 12 hrs a day on CS GO or COD, never to play anything else,
maaybe minecraft

and they think puzzles and humor arent needed. and frankly from experience if you get a group of csgo users avid ones they refuse to play advent games (most of the time)
this is generally TRUE not false.

but once again poking a comment at me when my bottom line was this behavior is not usual for you, and actually a bit off-putting and quite proof IQS is going away so why not just say the worst most unrealistic negative thing you can
it is almost a spit in the face of the few fans here mainly.. me in cod ref, but really mate..

after all this time, id think youd have gotten over this by now

never did I presume or assume or say  everyone who plays COD never plays advents etc
you assumed that

ugh mate really is hard loving you
you got skills
you do have a brain

you should know your stats are made up..
OOTT wise I cant comment as thats prolly true, but claiming there arent many if any at all adventure consumers can easily be debunked with a few links. sheesh

you hate them and im really getting there
but TTG's is still going, and goty on walking dead, over any FPS out that year.
whats that say..
oh right no adventure lovers.. my bad youre totally correct

carry on being a negative nelly mate
I wont try anymore to stop ya
id just suggest you act a bit more professional and less like a whiny baby over this. just my opinion im sure will be modded away.

HUUGGGSSS

PS:
people move on.. yes
but if you think the rave for the new kings quest and all ttg's and the DOTT revamps didnt make a splash
you hit your head on a rock (please increase your climbing skills)

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
I am a regular poster here at IQ, I have enjoyed every game that you folks have produced, and will enjoy roehm to ruin and Fortress of Fire.  Yeah it sucks that you most likely won't make any more games, but people have to make money at their endeavors unless they are independently weathly.  I for my part have supported all your games via kickstarter, plus bought a nice Qfi tshirt, bought multiple copies of Qfi for friends and will buy fortress of fire when released.  Look guys if I had a 100,000, k to give you to make Qfi2 I would. Thank-you all for all your efforts.

Chadly
**********Chadly*********************

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
I'm sorry, but don't attempt to turn my response to your comments around with a passive aggressive attack. I directly responded to what you said. You said COD players were nutjobs. You said there are lots and lots of adventure game fans. I disagree with your premise on both counts.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
I am a regular poster here at IQ, I have enjoyed every game that you folks have produced, and will enjoy roehm to ruin and Fortress of Fire.  Yeah it sucks that you most likely won't make any more games, but people have to make money at their endeavors unless they are independently weathly.  I for my part have supported all your games via kickstarter, plus bought a nice Qfi tshirt, bought multiple copies of Qfi for friends and will buy fortress of fire when released.  Look guys if I had a 100,000, k to give you to make Qfi2 I would. Thank-you all for all your efforts.

Chadly

And mate, I truly appreciate it. I don't think this is the END end of us working on adventure games or other game related products. If FoF and R2R aren't successful, it's certainly the end of IQ. I for one have many games designed in my head, some even on paper, and I certainly don't discount the idea of working on one of them in the future. Who knows what tomorrow holds! One day I'm going to write a business and game case of why OOTT failed, it might shed some more light on things. The last thing I want to do is have people think I'm just pissing on our fans for the failure of IQ. It's not the people who've bought the games that are the issue! It's the ones who haven't!