Author Topic: Revisiting Arx Fatalis  (Read 32126 times)

nameless

• Forever At The Bottom of the Totem Pole
  • Villain
  • Liked: 54
    • View Profile
Revisiting Arx Fatalis
« on: November 19, 2014, 02:00:30 PM »
I have the cd version 1.21.gog of AF. Been trying to figure a way around the never ending hunger and dying of starvation. Someone posted for an earlier version of arx.exe to look for two different offsets and change them to 90 90 90 90 90 90. The offsets for D9 1D EC 10 94 00 are not in 1.21. I downloaded a couple of earlier versions of arx.exe and still no such info. I previously tried arx-liberatis, a poor solution, which caused more problems. I just wished there was a way to edit the 1.21 arx.exe for god mode and no hunger.

I do NOT need anyone shaming me for wanting to cheat. That's just me, that's what I do in order to change a ball breaking hack/slash dungeon crawler into an adventure game. Heck, even the cheathappens trainer doesn't work. If anyone has something positive and constructive advice or workarounds, you're most welcome and appreciated.

As you can see, I'm strictly an adventure gamer. I have many games, such as dragon lore, far cry, etc. that I never completed simply because of too many timed or critical events. I even broke a keyboard on one game and had CTS on one finger for several days.
Lynda Carter, Wonder Woman, once sent me autographed photos that put me on cloud nine. The photos are on my living room wall.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
Re: Revisiting Arx Fatalis
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:49:21 PM »
urmm

hey

garr and I already had this battle...

You should install ARX LIBERATIS

it fixes many bugs and helps mod many things. its a MUST have
dont hex edit the game it will cause corruption in quests n such

also if you dont care to use liberatis, there is plenty of food. but i never once died from hunger and only was hungry 1 time the entire play

GET LIBERATIS
http://wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Main_Page

its not a cheat but it does remove the many issues with hunger..

and you claim you tried arx liberatis, and you are now the 2nd person only that suggests its "a poor solution"

as it WORKS just fine for me,  can you be more specific on why you think liberatis is a "poor solution"
as it adds many fixes to the core game that the other patches missed
and adds a few neat things

so unless someone other than garr can say why you dislike liberatis im confused,
since this program is still being updated where NOTHING ELSE IS
its the best arx fatalis you can play  = liberatis..

and it has god mode, and no hunger.. so im stumped why you both seem to hate this awesome patch and mod

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

nameless

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 06:12:11 PM »
Hey, thanks... Well, I had trouble since I didn't know how to use arx liberatis. God mode and no hunger huh! Since you know how to achieve those two cheats and I don't, is there commands or options to do that. Must be literature explaining all that.
Lynda Carter, Wonder Woman, once sent me autographed photos that put me on cloud nine. The photos are on my living room wall.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
also just so you know its not a bug or anything
about hunger

this game is old school and the original game requires you to eat LOTS..
this is why there is so much food around..

its a semi rogue like rpg

but again I still have no clue what anyone has against liberatis. as its the most modern patch for this game, and it makes the game work in some places that were broken before, and adds many things that are fun and funny..

but mainly.. look at the changelog aka fixes, its miles long of things the original patch never fixed after the company went defunct.

btw hi again nameless I misseded you!

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 06:17:42 PM »
Hey, thanks... Well, I had trouble since I didn't know how to use arx liberatis. God mode and no hunger huh! Since you know how to achieve those two cheats and I don't, is there commands or options to do that. Must be literature explaining all that.

well you just patch the game, if its not patched to 1.2
which is on the dl page (the 1.2 patch) if you need it

then you just dl the 32bit or 64 bit depending on your OS  if you are 64 bit win just dl the 64 bit installer, and click install after the patch is installed

the hunger mod is in the patching, so nothing is needed, just eat once in the game, and it will never pop up again.

as for god mode well ill link that also but its a fun way to do it

here is the dl site

http://wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Download

and here are the casting cheats as well as a fun secret character *which rocks and is pretty fun if you follow the directions, and then in the first dungeon if you use the bone on the chair like it says you get every item, which can ruin your game, some complete quests, some lvl you up,
the ones that complete quests can and will ruin the game if you arent on that quest but you can always keep using the same book until you are back at quest 1. and max xp aka god mode

http://wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Cheats#MAX

casting the cheats can be tricky as they dont say if you did the steps correctly but they work trust me :P

nameless

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 06:28:36 PM »
the hunger mod is in the patching, so nothing is needed, just eat once in the game, and it will never pop up again.

Now that is what I really want. So far, I've struggled to the Arx city gates. Think I might start over or can I just install liberates where I'm at and never be hungry again?

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »
yep and your saves WILL carry over to liberatis
but they wont if you uninstall it (meaning if you uninstall LIB then the saves wont be seen)
but if you install lib the saves you have now will be seen

imo the game isnt hard until near the middle end
(watchout for the find the missing girl quest !) DONT ACCEPT IT until you are at least on lvl 5-6 of the dungeon or you WILL let her die (its on a timer and i think its only 10-15 min)

gates of arx as in the main town? just know there is nothing that shows TIME, which sucks, and some vendors are only open and night/day

dont forget the secret quest in the first tavern on the wall in stone near the wheel gambling game! its a really long treasure hunt!

but fun and worth it
get a pick axe asap (1st one is in the troll caves thats free!)
also get backpacks asap, 1st one is in your room at the castle, these are needed.

unless you use the bone cheat then you get them all right off the bat but most are filled with cheat stuff..
kinda fun but hard to understand how to use, so id say stay away from the bone chair unless you just want to test that out for fun

nameless

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 06:37:48 PM »
ok, great on the saves. later dude  8)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 06:43:07 PM »
anytime mate!

love arx fatalis!
glad you are getting into the retro gamin still

not much beats the classics other than.. well games like QFI which emulate classics! but are new! whoop whoop

nameless

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 08:25:27 PM »
Oh my.... After installing liberatis, started game with original arx icon on desktop. more time before hunger started down. Then started new game with liberatis icon. hunger meter decreased even more often than in arx fatalis. Plus in liberatis, the inventory screen was smaller and more difficult to manage. So, guess I'll stay with just Arx Fatalis. Ah shoot and @$*%^(

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 09:15:38 PM »
ok..
sigh

1. no hunger is never an issue, you dont use the same exe (to claim that the hunger meter drops faster with lib is a blatant lie. sorry mate its like garr saying health was changed for the worse.) buzz wrong

1a. use lib EXE ONLY
not the standard exe!!!

2. here is the changelog so you can SEE what you will be missing out on, and trust me or not hunger is never AN ISSUE

http://wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Changelog

3. if you dont install lib, you lose.. period, its the only thing keeping this game from crashing into the ground
4. the inv didnt get smaller, the res got better.. aka everything is smaller
with more res options, you get.. tada smaller text smaller etc

sheesh

ok im done helping, play the game as it is in 1.2  aka BROKEN   

quick question, WHY do you think the team making liberatis made it? and why is it still being updated? hmm
because... IT WORKS

and it fixes SOOO many things read the changelog
im really tired of people.. mainly garr and you saying it effects things that it doesnt touch

on the res I will admit it does change (but just GO INTO THE FRIGGEN OPTIONS and put it at the CRAPPY res and tada its back to the way it was

this mod and patch just helps it look better, if you dont want that.. thats up to you just CHANGE IT
but dont go.. oh the inv is smaller.. no its not..
the res is larger

sigh

enjoy the broken game

its like people trying to play VAMPIRE MASQ without the unofficial patch, you cant.. on vampire.. and its sold on steam.. without people like this making these patches these old games would just not work as well

trust me or not, seems like you DONT.

take care then.. and happy gaming on that.. lol

again hunger, eat once .. and its gone forever..
never have i had an issue even in the ORIGINAL game with hunger,
if thats a problem id suggest a new game  and never play a rogue game in the future or you will hit your head on a wall

also go into the options and change the res to like 800x600 instead of the patched res
it will put the gfx back to the crap looking and larger

same as all games
sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh

nameless

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 09:19:46 PM »
I did state that AF runs better hunger management than Liberatis does. So it's a mystery indeed.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 09:34:01 PM »
uhhh what?

I dont think you are even running LIB

its no mystery you just, well I wont say bad things anymore here is a REALLY long post for YOU TO SEE since you obviously wont click on the link i sent

sorry forum for a really long post but really LIB fixes SOO many things that the standard game didnt
ill go ahead and bold and underline a few things mainly about the RES ISSUE you seem to think changed the inv, when in fact it makes it run better and look better ALSO NOTE the last update was AUGUST of this YEAR 2014  ahhhhhhhhhhhh SCREAMS
last time I even try to help ya there nameless
Shortlog
  • 1.0 "Bloody Gobblers!": Initial release. Game ported to SDL, OpenGL, OpenAL and the amd64 architecture while maintaining native Direct X backends. Fixea some performance issues with newer operating systems, adds more configuration options and improves the interface scaling for widescreen resolutions. (announcement)
    • 1.0.1: Fixes text rendering bug in 1.0 that breaks the Russian version, a crash on some Linux systems and uses DirectX by default for rendering and input under Windows. You can still select the renderer in the video settings and if you set it to anything other than the default "Auto-Select" nothing will change for you. (announcement)
    • 1.0.2: Fixes various crashes, disappearing items when sorting the inventory, and minor rendering and input bugs. This release also fixes a bug that left the Spanish version with no text. (announcement)
    • 1.0.3: Fixes two regressions introduced in 1.0.2 for Windows users: Crashes on startup after selecting the OpenGL renderer and low mouse sensitivity with the DirectInput backend. There are also fixes for other crashes, rendering glitches, missing speech during cinematics in the Russian and Italian versions, missing ambient sound effects as well as bugs in how some skill values were calculated. (announcement)
  • 1.1 "Rhaa Movis": Fixes player movement issues, minimap scaling, and a bunch of crashes and other bugs. We also continued our work on restructuring the engine, to facilitate new features in the future. Further, there is an improved installer for the data files on *nix systems as well as minor graphics and sound tweaks. See the changelog for full details. While we haven't managed to include everything originally planned for 1.1, we felt it was high time for another release after nearly a year of development since 1.0.3. (announcement)
    • 1.1.1: This release is a hotfix addressing a regression introcuded in 1.1, that caused map markers to not be saved correctly and then removed when such a save is loaded. We encourage all users of Arx Libertatis 1.1 to upgrade to 1.1.1 as soon as possible. (announcement)
    • 1.1.2: This is another small hotfix, this time to fix a crash when hovering over map markers after the window size or resolution has changed. (announcement)

Arx Libertatis 1.0 "Bloody Gobblers!" Released: 2012-04-19 (announcement)
 New Features
  • Cross-platform support:  Windows,  Linux and possibly other UNIX-likes
  • Configurable windowing + renderer, input and audio backends
  • Save game list is sorted so that latest save is at the top
  • Configurable number of quicksave slots
  • Shortcut to toggle windowed and fullscreen mode (default is Alt+Enter)
  • Video config menu displays the aspect ratio along with resolutions
  • Separated window size and fullscreen resolution
  • Added an "automatic" fullscreen resolution setting that always chooses the highest available one
  • Support for system-wide installation and per-user configuration / savegames (follows the XDG Base Directory Specification under  Linux)
  • Ported to amd64 architecture
  • A single binary can automatically run the demo or full game data
  • Automatic language detection for the data files
  • Added a crash reporter tool
  • Added tools to extract .pak and savegame files
Fixed Bugs
  • Fixed aspect ratio for interface elements when using non 5:4-resolutions (some are still stretched)
  • Fixed various crashes
  • Improved level loading speed by limiting the progress bar update rate
Technical Changes
  • Ported text rendering from Windows GDI to FreeType
  • Removed dependency on the proprietary PKWARE implode library
    • This required changing the savegame format - saves produced by Arx Libertatis cannot be read by the original Arx Fatalis, but Arx Libertatis can still read the original save files.
  • Abstracted windowing framework, with SDL and Win32 implementations
  • Abstracted audio backend, with OpenAL and DirectSound 9 implementations
  • Abstracted input backend, with SDL and DirectInput 8 implementations
  • Abstracted renderer backend, with OpenGL and Direct3D 9 implementations
  • Replaced custom image loading/saving code with DevIL
  • Various code cleanup and performance improvements
Removed Features

Patch 1.0.1 Released: 2012-04-22 (announcement)

• Fixed garbled text rendering in the Russian version (bug #226)
  • Fixed a crash in the critical error dialog on some  Linux systems (crash report #229)
  • Loading files from the graph and misc directories is now case-insensitive
  • Switched to D3D and DInput backends by default on  Windows

Patch 1.0.2 Released: 2012-06-14 (announcement)

• Fixed problems with the unity build under  Linux (crash report #243, crash report #245)
  • Fixed crashes and disappearing items when sorting the inventory
  • Crafting now always adds items to an existing stack if there is one (feature request #109)
  • Inventory sorting now works on all bags at once
  • Fixed a script execution error when changing the heartbeat event while executing the heartbeat event
  • Fixed compile errors with older Qt and SDL versions
  • Fixed crashes due to random numbers, mostly occurring on  Windows (crash report #258)
  • Fixed a bug in loading the Spanish localization files (bug #259)
  • Fixed transparent objects being drawn in front of opaque objects when a book/note is open (bug #252)
  • Fixed a regression from the original game that made the player super stealthy (bug #262)
  • Fixed a regression in the script timer code (crash report #251)
  • Fixed label for the 'Full screen' checkbox not being shown in the German version
  • Fixed cursor position not aligning with absolute input devices (e.g. tablets) in fullscreen mode (bug #269)
  • Mouse sensitivity setting now only applies to turning the camera, not to cursor movement

Patch 1.0.3 Released: 2012-07-31 (announcement)

• Fixed crashes on startup after selecting the OpenGL renderer on  Windows (crash report #290)
  • Fixed crashes after Alt+TAB-ing out of fullscreen mode on  Windows (crash report #274)
  • Added support for graphics cards and drivers that don't support alpha-only textures to the  Direct3D renderer (bug #331)
  • Fixed low mouse sensitivity with the  DirectInput backend (bug #334)
  • Fixed some effects shining though walls while casting (bug #278)
  • Fixed missing speech in cinematics for the Russian and Italian versions (bug #335)
  • Fixed missing ambient sound effects (bug #341)
  • Fixed the offset for the halo rendered around some equipped rings
  • Improved the .ini parser to deal with broken syntax in the Japanese and Russian localization files
  • Include attribute modifiers when calculating the effective object knowledge and projectile skills (bug #302)
  • Savegames can now be deleted from the save and load menus

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 09:38:55 PM »
sorry i seemed to have flooded the server so i wont post the last half

just know its a mistake to not use lib on AF

but so be it..
read the changelog.

and thanks for not having trust in me, as always :(

Arx Libertatis 1.1.2 updates and improves Arx Fatalis by supporting modern systems, porting the game to new systems as well as eliminating bugs and limitations. In the future we plan to improve and modernize the engine as well as enable customizations and mods by the community.

http://arx-libertatis.org/

ty and nite

nameless

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 10:03:57 AM »
It's not that I am ignoring your advice/suggestions. All the so called fixes... I've never encountered those problems, really! Thus far, the only possible benefit, to me, is the minor slowdown in the frequency of dying from hunger... that is, if I  fail to eat before the life meter runs out. I'm not bull-crapping you dear friend, I may be the rare case where Liberatis doesn't benefit me all that much. In the meantime, I'm pretty far along and managed to recover the idol to get the trolls back to working the mines.