Author Topic: Why would you guys stop making games when there is renewed interest these days?  (Read 17465 times)

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
Klytos, 
I would very much like to read that story of why Order if the Thorne, was a failure, (which to me it wasn't, as it was unique in it musical attributes,)  Finances, aside you ALL have accomplished much here at IQ.  Great old school adventures, and great story telling.  Guys I grew up playing the classics or Sierra and lucas Arts.  I miss those games very much, but all good things come to an end as things evolve.  As I said before todays games are, violent graphic, first-person shooters and im bored with them, so I sold my consoles.  Yeah I like some of todays games, but I guess im living too much in the past.  30 years ago I got a pc and played txt adventures.  Those days are gone. I had hoped with IQ that we or you good revamp interest in these types if games, and you did just not enough money to continue.  Cheers,
                                                                      Chadly.
**********Chadly*********************

roeadventue32

• Villain
  • Liked: 23
    • View Profile
Merge with crystal shard or the mages initiation team at Himalayan. Ask for a meeting to discuss collaborations and synthesis of style.
I am a one note man, I play it all I can.

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
Merge with crystal shard or the mages initiation team at Himalayan. Ask for a meeting to discuss collaborations and synthesis of style.

I am about to go buy for 10 bucks, the Hugo horrific adventure/house of horror, (first game was seen under both names) trilogy off gog.

Its  a 25 or about, year old set of games that continue to bring me joy for fun and not just nostalgia. I considered buying Himalaya's, western gold miner game but it seems too purely SAM and Maxish/ lucus arts, for my personal taste from the reviews.

Looking forward to mage project by them though!

I played the first hugo on old boxy dial up aol, around when it was a new sort of thing.

Its not about graphics or newness or style but the essence of the game. Secondly its about artistic purity. A lot of people wont use those words but they know what I mean..and fun. Which can be campy fun even without being slapstick. (better if it seems unintentional for from a comedic perspective), or a bit sly or ironic.

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile

I am about to go buy for 10 bucks, the Hugo horrific adventure/house of horror, (first game was seen under both names) trilogy off gog.

Its  a 25 or about, year old set of games that continue to bring me joy for fun and not just nostalgia. I considered buying Himalaya's, western gold miner game but it seems too purely SAM and Maxish/ lucus arts, for my personal taste from the reviews.

Looking forward to mage project by them though!

I played the first hugo on old boxy dial up aol, around when it was a new sort of thing.

Its not about graphics or newness or style but the essence of the game. Secondly its about artistic purity. A lot of people wont use those words but they know what I mean..and fun. Which can be campy fun even without being slapstick. (better if it seems unintentional for from a comedic perspective), or a bit sly or ironic.

A new age : Which has an entirely different meaning now than it once did, the term newager, in relation to this, that in context. They would ask me why pay 10 or 20 bucks for a 25 year old game and my answer would just be this:

Pure joy. For the love of playing it and the love of the game, the only reasons I have for doing anything worthwhile really, in life.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest

No thanks. I have a lot of respect for AGDI / Himalaya but I don't think on a personal level our development styles would merge. Crystal Shard do freeware games and their stuff takes many more years of work than we need to be profitable.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Fizzii

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1039
    • View Profile
I'll add that it wouldn't work to merge groups because each group has their own designer/writer who has their own stories and ideas that they want to see implemented.

Sure, resources like artists can be shared (e.g. I have worked on nearly every Crystal Shard game as well as IQ game), but that doesn't make things better/more profitable for either group.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Very true too, all the indie teams tend to be built around a developer / designer (or in our case duo) who also tend to be the programmers. There tends to be a bit of cross-pollination anyway with artists as Fizzi said.

I'll also say that it might not be obvious from the outside, but behind the scenes the AGS groups at least tend to work a bit together, sharing knowledge and resources. I've had many many discussions with Dave and Janet Gilbert from Wadget Eye about all sorts of things for example, and I know the similar issues we've all had with the engine tend to get talked about on the AGS forums between Radiant (Crystal Shard), Chris (Himalaya) and ourselves.

As a side note, 70-80% of mergers fail. Just read that today!
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

shoptroll

• Lackey
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
As a side note, 70-80% of mergers fail. Just read that today!

Well if you guys don't have enough money coming into support 2 full and 1 part-time resources, it's pretty much guaranteed that adding more mouths to feed wouldn't solve that problem :)  I don't know what Himalaya's financials look like but I can't imagine their situation is all that different from your team's, with the exception that Al Emmo has been around a lot longer and came out at a time when there was much less competition in the market.

(For what it's worth, I think Crystal Shard has been trying to steer more towards commercializing their games with the Deluxe editions they're selling on their website.  But they still don't have much of a presence on any of the major storefronts barring Heroine's Quest on Steam)

As much as I'd love more of the teams working under the same umbrella I like that an IQ game feels differently than a Wadjet Eye game.  That sort of thing would be lost in a merger.  On the other hand, I really wish there was some way more teams could ride Dave's coattails to get more publicity for their products.

Fizzii

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1039
    • View Profile
(For what it's worth, I think Crystal Shard has been trying to steer more towards commercializing their games with the Deluxe editions they're selling on their website.  But they still don't have much of a presence on any of the major storefronts barring Heroine's Quest on Steam)
Well, it's more so we can get our games more widely distributed as distributors tend to want to make money :P. Heroine's Quest, while noticed by some media when it was first released, was only more widely recognised once it got put on Steam.

We haven't been pushing the publishing aspect much lately, and admittedly Radiant has been dragging his feet with the smaller adventure games because focus has been on another bigger (non-adventure) project. But hopefully we will be doing a Greenlight soon as we shouldn't keep basically-complete games in limbo.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"