Author Topic: Games similar to QFI  (Read 4779 times)

Adventuress

Games similar to QFI
« on: November 17, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »
I absolutely love the old-time Sierra adventure games, which is one of the many, many reasons why I adore QFI.  I think that I have played all similar type adventure games, but perhaps I have missed some?  I am also including other non-AGD adventures (like Ceville).  I am not trying to start a debate; rather, I am just looking for some new-to-me games to play.

I don't super-enjoy RPGs that entail lots of combat and managing a bunch of team members (eg Elder Scrolls).

Here is an initial list (including old & new), off the top of my head:

QFI
QFG series
KQ series
GK series
SQ series
Zork series
LS Larry series
Longest Journey series
Broken Sword series
Heroine's Quest
A Tale of Two Kingdoms
Simon the Sorcerer series
Book of Unwritten Tales series
Ceville
A Vampyre Tale
Kyrandia series

Any suggestions????

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
Re: Games similar to QFI
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 02:33:37 PM »
zork as in parser?

I have tons to suggest if you dig that

dont forget Tass times in tone town lol

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Adventuress

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 02:44:14 PM »
I've had a computer since 1980, so I have done loads of parsers in my time.  And, please, no more parsers ever again, please!!!!  I think the worst, most frustrating parser was _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_. 

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 08:01:45 PM »
That's so true! Hitchhikers was the hardest game.

If you liked the Gabriel Knight series, I'd suggest Cognition and Moebius. Both are pretty good (Cognition is awesome). Gray Matter is okay too.

There's a game called Captain Disaster - it's fairly new and quite funny. Space Quest style humour.

And get anything from Wadget Eye Games, the Blackwell series is awesome and there's heaps of others too.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 12:21:35 AM »
love hitchhikers and all infocom
esp oddly WISH-BRINGER

dont ask
and totally klytos is right  wadget games makes some great odd games, one about a salesman, kinda like gold rush with worse puzzles like from children circle whats different on this pic vs that

fun all around to talk to those devs  a few pretentious ones but all n all you wont find peoples like here

hugs to all
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 08:17:36 AM »
Hah, if you wanna go gold school and back to parser, which you don't but I'm gonna mention it anyway, there's always Maddog Williams, which was made by a bunch of cool dudes back in the day - they pitched it to Sierra, but Sierra passed and they released it on their own.  You can download it for free on their website.

http://www.gamecrafters.com/gamecrafters/maddog/

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

caldric

• Lackey
  • Liked: 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 10:21:28 AM »
Parser games will always hold a special place in my heart, since my first Sierra game was SQ1 EGA. I'm especially fond of the parsers that wouldn't pause the game while you type. There was no better typing tutor than having to type in a command before an event timer caused your demise. (Come to think of it, this was probably more akin to Stockholm Syndrome than true fondness...)

Adventuress

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 06:14:33 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I have played most of these, but there are definitely a few that I will be checking out. 

BTW, when I was dbl-checking my libraries at Steam and GOG I was reminded of a little known game that I have played a few times called "Duke Grabowski, Mighty Swashbuckler."  It was short, but really good.

shoptroll

• Lackey
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 09:28:21 PM »
@Adventuress Have you taken a look at Amanita Design's games?  They have a very unique art style and are pretty fun.

You might also want to keep an eye on Mage's Initiation which is coming in January.  It's very Sierra / QFG inspired.  West of Loathing might also be worth a look although that's much closer to an RPG/Adventure hybrid.

If you liked the Gabriel Knight series, I'd suggest Cognition and Moebius. Both are pretty good (Cognition is awesome). Gray Matter is okay too.

Lamplight City by Grundislav Games is a big whopping love letter to GK.  I think it flew under the radar this year despite being a pretty solid (albeit easier) adventure / investigation game.

And get anything from Wadget Eye Games, the Blackwell series is awesome and there's heaps of others too.

Unavowed was their release this year and is probably one of my favorite games of the year.

caldric

• Lackey
  • Liked: 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 10:27:54 PM »
I second Unavowed and Lamplight City - they’re both great!