Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 11493 times)

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 08:01:53 AM »
I can understand what you are saying Goatmeal, but the problem with that is you are essentially telling the player "You need to use this item to solve a puzzle later one".

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »
I can understand what you are saying Goatmeal, but the problem with that is you are essentially telling the player "You need to use this item to solve a puzzle later one".

True, but while the puzzle is entirely logical, it wasn't entirely obvious.  I found that throwing the glass against a non-descript fence to distract the smith be a little ... "How was I supposed to know to do that?"    ???

And I do realize that this is a demo, not the full-fledged game.  IQ couldn't have possibly put everything into it (full descriptions for everything, lots of items, etc).

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 06:51:45 PM »
It doesn't really have to be at the fence - it just has to be thrown at, logically, an area that would cause the Blacksmith to look at, and peer off at... instead of just throwing it at the house or something.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 10:29:11 PM »
It doesn't really have to be at the fence - it just has to be thrown at, logically, an area that would cause the Blacksmith to look at, and peer off at... instead of just throwing it at the house or something.

Hi, BT!

Just playing around this afternoon, I did find a possible bug:

If you use the glass to distract the Smith in the Evening (red sky after the execution but before the Night phase) to get the tongs, the game won't let you leave the Smith screen with the tongs.  It keeps saying you need to finish up what you are doing and replace them.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 10:38:20 PM »
Yeah, because you can't take the tongs while the Blacksmith is still there.  You have to find another way to get rid of him to take the tongs for a while...

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 11:31:40 PM »
Yeah, because you can't take the tongs while the Blacksmith is still there.  You have to find another way to get rid of him to take the tongs for a while...

Ah ha!

Which is why you use the OTHER way to distract him -- which causes him to run off screen...

Quite clever, BT!

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 02:02:17 PM »
True, but while the puzzle is entirely logical, it wasn't entirely obvious.  I found that throwing the glass against a non-descript fence to distract the smith be a little ... "How was I supposed to know to do that?"    ???

It's a staple of adventure games and part of the fun. You tend to ignore the "How was I supposed to know how to do that?" when it comes to solving adventure game puzzles. I will admit that there are certain adventure games where the solution to a puzzle makes no logical sense (a certain pie in King's Quest 5 comes to mind), but if you follow the three basic rules to adventure gaming (listed below),  you should be fine.

1.) The Sierra Rule of "Save Early, Save Often"
2.) Take everything not nailed down and if it is nailed down, solve the loose nail puzzle.
3.) Use everything in your inventory on everything else.