Author Topic: Quest for Infamy v2.0 progress thread  (Read 46987 times)

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: Quest for Infamy v2.0 progress thread
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 06:58:21 PM »
Apologies, the forums don't always notify me when there's a new posting so I missed this.

2.0 is still happening. The delay is that 2.0 is also going to be tablet friendly to allow us to port to iPad and Android which requires a look at every aspect of the programming. For example the rooms are currently 320x240 and this needs to be brought down to 320x200, so every room requires a decision on whether I lock off 40 pixels (and where to lock them off, top, bottom, bit of both etc) and then whether north / south room transitions still work, whether GUI's sit properly over the screen etc. I've already fixed the bugs that have been reported and a few other minor things. We're also looking at recording soe aspects of the voice pack again, the particularly bad recordings. Basically it's a lot of work and I'm only doing it part-time now as I've got to work on other things that are going to feed me and my family. But there is light, once that's done (and I'm pretty far into the process) I'll be able to test it on everything and then we'll push it out to the publishers (GoG, Steam etc).

~ Shawn
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 10:24:29 PM »
Shawn summed it up well; we're actually doing a lot of work to Quest for Infamy right now, but our time for work is limited.  But I can say it's been fun revisiting the game and doing work to it again.  Reminded both of us, again, how much we loved the game and how much we loved making it.

Quest for Infamy was something Shawn and I came up with in 2003 - when we were just eager guys in our 20s, looking to make what we thought was "our ultimate dream game".  Revisiting it with an eye for fond memories has been nice.

Hopefully the changes and upgrades we make for the new version make for an enriched playing experience for everyone.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Athanasius

• Testers
  • Lackey
  • Liked: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 05:45:32 AM »
Thank you for your replies. I absolutely understand that your time is limited, my intention wasn't to rush you. My terribly stubborn questioning for 2.0 is just because Quest for Infamy holds a very special place in my old gamer's heart. I'm glad to hear you are still working on it.

shoptroll

• Lackey
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 08:19:29 AM »
2.0 is still happening. The delay is that 2.0 is also going to be tablet friendly to allow us to port to iPad and Android which requires a look at every aspect of the programming. For example the rooms are currently 320x240 and this needs to be brought down to 320x200, so every room requires a decision on whether I lock off 40 pixels (and where to lock them off, top, bottom, bit of both etc) and then whether north / south room transitions still work, whether GUI's sit properly over the screen etc.

Is this change only for the tablet versions, or will the PC/Mac/Linux version get this change too?

(Also, considering how big QfI that sounds like a huge undertaking!)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 02:30:02 PM »
PC versions will get the upgrades too - it should run unilaterally on all platforms.

Bt

shoptroll

• Lackey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 08:29:15 PM »
PC versions will get the upgrades too - it should run unilaterally on all platforms.

Bt

I assumed that was implied, but I was mostly interested in knowing if the new room dimensions to fit the lower resolution.  That's a big change right?

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 12:04:38 AM »
I assumed that was implied, but I was mostly interested in knowing if the new room dimensions to fit the lower resolution.  That's a big change right?

The room size is slightly smaller so that on tablet it won't have black bars left and right, which will look horrible. We've got a process that is a one-off change in room size it's really just making sure each room looks right and transitions all happen properly. The PC version will be the same, with the option of alternate user interfaces, the classic Sierra style that's in the current game and a more streamlined version for tablet (pull down menu's don't work on tablet - or at the least they're really clunky which sucks).

shoptroll

• Lackey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 08:01:56 AM »

The room size is slightly smaller so that on tablet it won't have black bars left and right, which will look horrible. We've got a process that is a one-off change in room size it's really just making sure each room looks right and transitions all happen properly.

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

The PC version will be the same, with the option of alternate user interfaces, the classic Sierra style that's in the current game and a more streamlined version for tablet (pull down menu's don't work on tablet - or at the least they're really clunky which sucks).

I can see that.  I remember reading a post by Dave Gilbert on the AGS forum that listed mobile ports as a reason not to use Sierra-style interfaces.  I wonder if that's why Himalaya is offering a verb-coin interface option for Mage's Initiation in addition to the Sierra action bar.

shoptroll

• Lackey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 01:00:56 PM »
So what's this about a Special Edition that BT is talking about on Twitter?

*hype intensifies*

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2016, 01:50:06 AM »
Not familiar with a SE shoptroll, I'm more concerned with Roehm to Ruin and fortress of fire at this point!  LEts give the folks a IQ time to do one thing at a time.  I'm happy with the current ver of QFI, Why aren't you?  Give em a break as they have lives, and love ones who take precedent over our wishes and wants bud.    Chadly.
**********Chadly*********************

shoptroll

• Lackey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »
Don't worry I'm eagerly and patiently awaiting everything in the oven.  I just want to know what's in the box, especially because that's the first I'd heard of it.  And then I can throw money at the computer screen :)

As for what's wrong with QfI?  Nothing I guess.  I was part way into 1.0 when 1.1 dropped and couldn't get my save to transfer over with BT's help, so I'm kinda in a weird state where I'm waiting for 2.0 because I heard there would be some new screens.  I'm kinda slow at these games (14 hours in on QFI according to Steam and I hadn't even finished Act 2!) so I don't really have the time to do a re-play for 2.0.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2016, 04:51:14 PM »
Don't worry I'm eagerly and patiently awaiting everything in the oven.  I just want to know what's in the box, especially because that's the first I'd heard of it.  And then I can throw money at the computer screen :)

As for what's wrong with QfI?  Nothing I guess.  I was part way into 1.0 when 1.1 dropped and couldn't get my save to transfer over with BT's help, so I'm kinda in a weird state where I'm waiting for 2.0 because I heard there would be some new screens.  I'm kinda slow at these games (14 hours in on QFI according to Steam and I hadn't even finished Act 2!) so I don't really have the time to do a re-play for 2.0.

http://www.infamous-quests.com/forum/index.php?topic=1988.msg29245#msg29245

It's doubtful there will be any new rooms/screens in 2.0, beyond the three that were added for version 1.1.  (The message above refers to version 1.2).  The screens might be cropped differently/adjusted for tablet gameplay, but that's likely it...

I could be wrong, but I'd say keep playing 1.1 it to finish it up.  It's truly a great game.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2016, 07:15:34 PM »
SE is something Shawn and I are working on; just goes beyond fixing a few bugs, enhancing a few game play elements, and changing the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9, that's the big one - we'll be making it portable to mobile devices like tablets, etc - has some minor graphical tweeks and some audio fixes, etc.  It's pretty cool.  We're also working on Roehm to Ruin right now as well, and - of course - we're developing Fortress of Fire as well.  We have a few projects on our plate, but the pace is definitely slower because we have less hands on deck and less time to work on things.

Bt

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2016, 10:15:15 PM »
Thanks for the clarification between 2.0 & SE !   :)

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2016, 10:35:59 PM »
SE kind of IS 2.0. We got the bug fixes we had planned for 2.0 done and then decided we may as well do the tweaks we need to do to make it tablet compatible. For my side of things, my biggest challenge has been fitting the screens to that 16:9 ration. It usually means chopping a bit off the top, which in most cases is just sky or forest canopy, but some screens need some additional work and all the interfaces have had to be jigged around.

R2R is the other project I'm working on, again to make it tablet compatible is the main thing I'm working on at the moment, although the graphics were already 16:9 so that makes it easier. Just adding in a second interface (on the PC you'll be able to toggle between the old-fashioned pull down menu and a newer tablet style interface) and a couple of special bonus events. it's certainly a lot further along and is close to us recording the voices which is really the final component before testing.