Author Topic: Use windows 7 forever?  (Read 6185 times)

nameless

• Forever At The Bottom of the Totem Pole
  • Villain
  • Liked: 54
    • View Profile
Use windows 7 forever?
« on: June 02, 2019, 08:52:49 AM »
I'm seriously considering it. Going to windows 10 means searching for new hardware drivers. Most of your programs and games are likely to stop working.

What if the unthinkable happens and you have to reinstall w7? What about the security updates that probably can't be downloaded? Is your current antivirus software all that's necessary?

Make a system backup image weekly, daily, monthly? Or simply don't use windows at all. And the ultimate, do target practice on all your computers!
Lynda Carter, Wonder Woman, once sent me autographed photos that put me on cloud nine. The photos are on my living room wall.

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
Re: Use windows 7 forever?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 11:27:31 PM »
Literally the only thing that stopped working for me in Windows 10 was my old Microsoft LifeCam. Irony.

Everything else works swimmingly. Including my Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS sound card, with third party drivers. I use it for the MIDI ports via gameport adapter. Superior to my audio interface's, ironically. I've gotten every game working. Every game that works on Windows 7, anyway.

The only thing Windows 10 sucks at for me is my laptop. The laptop itself has a perfectly fine OpenGL-compatible intel graphics chip, but they never made any drivers for Win10. Would work fine in Win7, but not 10. Don't have a choice though because that's how it came to me (it was one of those Computers for Schools preloaded laptops). I had to install Ubuntu as a dual-boot to play many OpenGL-reliant games (like Minecraft and GZDoom. Strangely, though, many others work fine).

nameless

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 10:13:00 AM »
It appears that drivers, not that big really, are the main issue.
For several months I've had a minor issue with W7 Pro. More often than I care for, if I shut down the computer normally, then when it's turned on again, it boots up ok but desktop shortcuts won't start any programs or games. However, text documents open just fine. After rebooting 2 or 3 times, even doing a hot shutdown, everything is back to normal.

I discovered that once I have a normally functioning system and want it that way the next session, instead of shutting it down, I put it in sleep mode, then turn off the power. The next time the power is turned on, I take the pc out of sleep mode and it's in the normal state as before.

Since windows 7 support (security updates mostly) ends next year, what if someone made a fresh install of W7. could it still be updated to what it is now? Anyhow, I purchased a 1 TB external drive for $53 at WalMart and store a system image on it. About 2 years ago a hard drive failed and I had to reinstall everything. This time I'm prepared. If my present HD ever fails, I'll just get a new HD, plop in a repair disk and then give it the system image. Everything will be as before the HD failure.
Lynda Carter, Wonder Woman, once sent me autographed photos that put me on cloud nine. The photos are on my living room wall.

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 10:30:05 AM »
You won't be able to activate W7, I know at least that.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 12:36:36 PM »

Did Microsoft wise up and prevent OEM manufacturers like Dell & HP from having activation-less back-up OSes for Vista / Win7 / Win8 / Win10 ?

I've got an old Dell Windows XP OS back-up CD that doesn't require an activation...

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 04:48:03 PM »
well this isnt true, you just cant get updates.

u can activate win xp still sooo wherever you got this info its false?
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 09:00:03 PM »
You can still activate WinXP? I was sure I tried that like ages ago and it didn't work.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »
u can always activate any windows os

just no future updates will be made for them,
they will still maintain the database for the updates out already
but no future ones

nameless

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 03:34:13 PM »
Here is one for the books!
The other night I tried to update to W10pro 64 bit and it failed because v1909 tried to download updates for devices that already had up to date drivers.

Today, I bought W10 home edition and it installed W10Pro 1809

Could that be because I had already tried it directly from MS?

Nowhere Girl

• Recruit
  • Liked: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 05:46:18 PM »
I'm a huge "technological conservative". I don't enjoy learning new technologies, if something is working for me, I'm not keen at changing it... I still use a Nokia 6210 from the year 2000 and absolutely don't want to use a smartphone - using an old mobile makes me Different! I'm also very used to just the visual aspect of older technologies. I have Windows 7 - installed by choice when it was already becoming obsolete - but the appearance of my taskbar, start menu, that upper part of a window (how is it called?) is still like in Windows 3. You know - gray bars, navy blue for active windows, a small start icon... I just like it best, I can't get used to newer versions.
I also have absolutely no idea, really, how to use new Paint, I use "Paint XP for Windows 7".
So I would absolutely prefer to use Windows 7 indefinitely.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 05:47:23 PM »
The only reason to use win 10 is when apps and programs require it

even then there will be workarounds

ms tried doing win 10 only games, and riots happened and companies went under due to it

you have windows great! but not using 10? well you cannot play this game, uh no

and yes you can activate any os forever, just updates wont continue, you can even still UPDATE the old 98 xp and me 2000 etc  just no new updates

i prefer 7
it doesnt lock securom and safedisk dvds and cds that i OWN due to the copy protection being seen as malware or holes for them
shall i mention java and flash  sheesh

also the win 10 store offers tons of stuff free that u dont get in win 7
but win 7 rocks
its got built in VM machines it has insane backwards compat and the driver issues in win 10 are abhorrent 
i have win 10 and I wont use it

games will require new direct x 12 etc but again there will be work arounds for it
Black and White 2  the last lionhead game was dx 12 and win 10 only, and they all got laid off and the game was scrapped.

goo microsoft subsidiaries
boo to 10